Wht should I do about Browning leaves

lol He’s running dwc recirculating hydro had water lvl too high was splashing lower leaves the brown leaves are splash burnt cut them off sorry Will we already narrowed down the problem just dealing with after math. This is a second thread for these plants thanks your input is always appreciated :slight_smile:

Can we get a picture in real light would save lots of confusion hps and led throws out perspective when trying to compare colours and makes for shit pictures lmao :slight_smile:

Lmao good one buddy that’s true

I agree with @Donaldj, can you send a picture in real light it would be alot easier to help see colors and save confusion

I’m sorry you guy’s for not being here to back up and to support my post, but im here now to do so …Now
Donaldj , bluemagic_101, Majiktoker !

What is the pH?

You’ve given us the picture, this image, but not any other info about your growing environment.

The basic info like pH, if it is indeed in a deep water culture hydro system, the type of lights and temperatures would all be helpful info. But most important in this situation, as it is often the one most important piece info, would probably be the pH, the actual exact pH number.

I have to agree with @garrigan62 on this one, I’m guessing the pH is actually too high for hydro or “water”.

~MacG

I’m not sure why you made two different posts, I’ve combined them.

If this is the range the pH drifts through, this is not necessarily good, it should range between 5.5 to not really higher than 6.1, and certainly not above 6.2 max.

This is not a very good answer, the type of rock could certainly contribute to the problem, but I suspect they are almost pure quartz by the look(almost the same thing as glass, but it could have lead and arsenic or maybe other things in the veins, which is certainly not good, don’t use if you see any sparkly fools gold or other dark veins for sure), and hopefully this wouldn’t be leaching anything to the roots or into the water. You’d be better to go with pure glass, less likely to cause any problems.

And I’m having a hard time making out your answers to the support ticket, I think I figured out the pH, but a bunch of the rest of the numbers don’t seem to align with the support ticket questions.

~MacG

1 Like

Thats two funny. The both of you don’t see the similar characteristics. Look at the leaves on each plant I can’t believe you all mist that.
Now the last pic is a Zinc deficiency, I put it up so you all could get a good feel for the closenessn in these two deficiencies, these two really are and can be mistaken and can be harmfull to your plants. Although they do look alike the cure is quite different
Anyway getting back to the problem at hand.

Will

Simple answer just flush your plant - and reduce nutrient use and feed 2 out of 3 days - many times issues are simple to fix and flushing is the 1st step in fixing your issue. Remember once you see a plant issue you are all ready two weeks behind in fixing it !

I still think we need a picture in real light since I can clearly see his nutrient level is bubbling up through the rocks in first pictures which would splash all bottom leaves and cause burns not knowing if higher leaves are discoloured doesn’t clarify anything. I agree his ph drift is high

1 Like

I agree @Donaldj but I also agree with @garrigan62 and @MacGyverStoner it is showing sign of zinc deficiency I went over multiple leaf charts last night and they all point to zinc

He really needs to post a pic in regular light so as to tell for sure if its Zinc Deficiency or Magnesium deficiency.
Otherwise not much of anything I can or anyone else for that mater.

Will

Again, any deficiency is almost always started off, or caused by pH, as most nutrient systems usually have plenty. Let’s look at this chart, you can see how a pH in hydro will contribute to a zinc deficiency much above 5.8-6.0 and in that 6.3ish range you will have potentially phosphorous deficiencies and it could even contribute to a nitrogen deficiency, maybe even iron. Don’t forget all this can contribute to one another and confuse the issue, so in the end I’d have to say again, pH, pH, pH.

I really don’t think this is cause by splash from the water level being too high, but I wouldn’t totally rule it out either.

~MacG

1 Like

@steve2,

FYI, you don’t really flush in DWC like you would in soil or soil-less media, what is in the reservoir is what is goin on at the roots, an entire reservoir change might be warranted (this is the closest equivalent to a flush as you get with DWC) to make sure all the nutrients are present in the reservoir and at the proper levels with a freshly measured out and pH’ed nutrient mix, and again the pH is paramount in making sure those nutrients that are present in the water are also available to the plant’s roots.

~MacG

@pigSquishy,

They did say they are using “some kind of rock mixed with glass”, by the look in the pictures I think they have glass pebbles and maybe quartz pebbles, and I did address my concerns about what exactly the media or these rocks are, however technically the media is really the water in DWC, not the “pebbles” that are mostly there just to anchor the plants in the net pots, regardless of what they are made of.

~MacG

This might be what this person is using, and if so, then absolutely it should not be contributing to any problems, as long as they are properly rinsed apparently. We will have to wait to hear back from them to confirm if indeed this is what they are using.

~MacG

1 Like