Who likes hot peppers?

Hotter the pepper, slower they grow

3 Likes

Growing hot peppers is great. Three things I grow every year are peppers, tomatoes and cannabis.

I have a question. Last harvest I grew a pepper called Yellow Scorpion. A great tasting pepper and very hot. This particular pepper took 7 months for harvest, while my others like jalapeño and Serrano were ready in four months. Wondering if anyone has run across this…Thanks!

3 Likes

Had a guy from Peru that worked at our local town and he brought some seeds from home and handed them out for a few of us to try. The only way they would fruit as you started them indoors in the fall and put them outside in the spring, and if everything was perfect you might get a few peppers. I never did. I had huge pepper trees just with no peppers on them. I started mine in January this year and a few of them are in full blossom. I still have three months before they can go outside.:rofl:

The ones in flower are all habaneros.

4 Likes

Probably where you are growing them… They are basically grown in Trinidad and one source I was reading says 95 day to harvest under best conditions.

By the way Welcome to the Forum…

1 Like

I do love peppers! Usually I buy seedlings from the store but this year I’m starting my own. How long does it typically take to germinate and sprout? Been waiting a week and still no action. Growing small red chili, cayenne, red cherry and shishitos. Tomatoes started sprouting 2 days ago and I started them the same time as the peppers.

2 Likes

The hotter varieties take a little longer like the Carolina Reaper and the Red Trinidad Scorpion 7-10 days on these Jalapenos a few days earlier my experience, and the mild ones tend to grow a little faster.
Since I started germination them with Rapid Rooters I have had really good results. I put them in a tray with a plant heating pad underneath the tray. You might need to use a timer to say 15 minutes on and 15 minutes off. Mainly don’t let the tray exceed say 85F. Generally spray them once a day to keep the rooter moist… Best of luck and keep growing

2 Likes

Welcome @Medicinalnature! I grew a yellow apocalypse scorpion, I think it was called? From Pepper Joes, they were some freebies. Those ones did take forever, most never got ripe. I don’t think I got many more than were in this pic. Yellow ones on the end.

The thing I noticed last year that made the biggest difference in ripening, was location. My garden gets great evening exposure, but a nearby tree line limits my morning sun. Farther west the row was, the faster the pods were ripening.

Unfortunately for my peppers, my weed is going there this year. :joy:

4 Likes

Thanks! I have them in my seedling starter kit with a dome and heat mat. Temps are 70-80 degrees and humidity is usually around the same. I have them jiffy pots. Maybe I’ll try the rapid rooter if they don’t sprout in the next few days.

2 Likes

Keep us informed … I would give them a few more days too…

1 Like

Tomato and bell pepper sprouted. Was doing some reading and leaned some hot peppers can take 4-6 weeks to germinate. I should have started earlier! Started a few extra seeds just in case I get duds. This time I soaked them in water for 24 hours to try to increase speed and success rate of germination.

4 Likes

Lookin’ good! Here are some of my peppers (none too hot, though) and tomatoes. I especially like poblanos (aka anchos) for making rellenos. I started these seeds on 3/15 in the starter tray and put them in these containers on 3/22, so they are 2 weeks in the containers here.

5 Likes

Where do u get seeds for the super hot ones reapers scorpions. i have some that came out of the peppers but am unsure how to germ them and any for sale online have mixed reviews.

2 Likes

@Gronasbros, the Carolina reaper was developed by “Smokin’” Ed Currie, he sells the seeds through his Pucker Butt Pepper co. I also buy seeds from Pepper Joe’s, they have a bit wider variety.

2 Likes

Very nice! I don’t do anything crazy hot either.

1 Like

Few more hiding in here someplace:

Variety Qty
Fresno jalapeño 10
Ring of Fire cayenne 5
Carolina reaper 5
Primotalli 4
Jigsaw 2
Butch T orange 1
Choc Reaper 5
Choc Bhutlah 7
7 Pot Douglah 8

Also, from my scotch bonnet “crosses”

Variety Qty
Moa red 8
Moa orange 4
Foodarama red 2
Foodarama orange 6
Grand total 60

I won’t have room for them all in the veggie garden unless I reduce the spacing, but it’s close. I’m sure my sister will take some. I may end up with a “bonus” container row.

Got these 2 as well, jigsaw and Carolina reaper that I was overwintering. Just transplanted them into 7 gallon fabric pots.

6 Likes

My you got lots of good peppers there. We have about 11 outside now in 2gal pots and raised beds. Still growing about ten more inside have to move them outside soon too. Hopefully twenty-ish plants will get her through her salsa making this year.

I have completely lost count of how many by strain 4 each of Japalenos, Carolina Reapers, Scotch Bonnets, Scorpions and Ghost a few other Habaneros. Cinnamon basil has been the toughest to get germinated… Lemon and Opal basil no problem who knows?

4 Likes

Geez! That’s a whole lotta peppers! Looking good! If you can fit most of those in your garden, your garden must be huge!

3 Likes

Here are the hot peppers outside so far… Pots in planters :crazy_face:

14 so far at least eight more to get outside gave 2 Carolina Reaper and Scorpion to lady across the street.

There you go peppers and mobile herb cart… :v: :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Update hot peppers mostly…

It has been tough keeping them watered in the heat with wind. We water at least twice a day 6’ tall mister automatically waters @ sun-up then we hand water later in the day. Seems like potted plants are doing best… Think the lady got bed soil to hot with N.

The box at the top is tomato plants. Mixture of Jalapenos, Carolina Reapers, Habaneros, Scorpions and Scotch Bonnets.

4 Likes

If you can get some straw mulch I think that will work great for you. Something lighter in color that can also help reflect some rays.

2 Likes