Who here likes to drink good bourbon?

Hey folks first time in the lounge and I thought other than weed are there folks in here that like to drink bourbon?

I am a bourbon guy and have a pretty good stash of good stuff, just curious are there others who collect and enjoy bourbon?

1 Like

You’ll find connoisseurs of many things around. I have a taste for bourbon, but not the stash. A couple nice bottles.

Cheers!

1 Like

@dbrn32 is a solid Bourbon drinker. But he probably only drinks Early Times haha.

My last job was as an assistant distiller for a craft distillery and produced a LOT of bourbon. We had a good stash of barreled stuff between 0 and 8 years old. Very interesting sampling different barrels of the same age with such markedly different characteristics.

And yes; I’ve had Pappy Van Winkles. Overrated.

5 Likes

Pappy is so overrated it’s only purpose is to flip on the secondary market to newbies.

I went through the stages of chasing the hot bottles and settled in on acquiring dead people bottles at estate sales and such.

The pappy from the 70’s is great, and so is the wild turkey pre 1980’s. I’m a fan for the old stuff. Like candy. It’s great when you can spin a glass and the stuff has legs like a good red wine. You know you got something special when it clings to the side of a nosing glass.

What’s everyone’s favorite?

1 Like

I think Pappy is pretty good at the $70-$100 range it’s intended to sell. I agree that i wouldn’t pay secondary prices for it in order to drink.

I can’t really keep anything around long enough to collect. I have an unopened bottle of eagle rare i picked up at msrp a few weeks ago, otherwise everything i have is opened. My daily drinkers are buffalo trace and knob creek. I like 1792 sweet wheat, but difficult to find here. Anything low rye or wheat mash in 3-12 year range i usually enjoy.

3 Likes

I agree. The 23 is way to oakie. I have to admit I’m a huge fan of Weller 12 and the Antique 107, especially the store pics. Love Michters 10 as well.

I have so many opened bottles that I have to tephlon tape them.

I’m a huge fan of the George T Stagg line.

I will also admit I’m a crown peach fan with iced tea. It’s like drinking peach iced tea until you’re peeing off the porch and your wife is yelling :joy:

1 Like

I’m a huge fan of knob Creek as well. And I love whistle pig

1 Like

Not surprised. How familiar are you with buffalo trace lineup? Stagg is same mash bill as buffalo trace and eagle rare, and the weller line is same mash bill as pappy line. Stagg and Weller both extremely difficult to find by me.

2 Likes

Very familiar with all BT lineup. All the craft stuff is Midwest Grain Products (MGP).

They made some incredible stuff when nobody was making anything as everyone was drinking white liquor and wine coolers in the 80’s.

Have you tried the Blantons Gold or Blantons Straight from the barrel? Best of the Blantons line up for sure. I’m a fan of the wheated lines. Not a big Rye spice guy.

1 Like

I remember having blantons single barrel, but that’s it. It has more rye than stuff i usually drink but it’s not worst ive had. Just not something i would look to buy often. I will keep an eye out for the others.

1 Like

Let me know if you ever want to trade bottles. Sometimes stuff is easier to find depending on where you live. All in all I’m in NC which stinks unless you’re friends with an ABC manager which I am and spend lots of time on VA which is slightly better. I wish I was back in Texas, which is the bourbon motherland. They get lots of allocated stuff as they bought back in the day when nobody else did, so they are rewarded for their loyalty.

Blantons Gold and SFTB is only UK and Asia markets but stuff falls off the trucks all the time in NYC :joy:

1 Like

Garrison Brothers & Basil Hayden are both pretty tasty to sip on for a medium price range bourbon.

2 Likes

I have a guy that will set a bottle aside for me, but he is extremely small shop, so doesn’t get a lot and not always type of stuff i drink. I’m close enough to city that even finding a bottle of buffalo trace is hard sometimes. If you do find it, is usually because of inflated price.

2 Likes

I usually have bottle of basil around. My palate has grown and it kinda seems a little soft now, but i agree.

Have you had Jim beam black? I keep this just in case anyone wants to drink whiskey and coke. But if you like garrison brothers and basil’s may be a budget minded alternative.

2 Likes

Basil Hayden dark. Makes the best old fashion IMHO

2 Likes

Never tried the Beam Black, usually lean to Makers for the price point. Know what you mean about the palate I experienced the same thing with Buffalo Trace.

1 Like

We probably enjoy very similar drinks. Low or no rye. I think makers is one of very few that has no rye at all.

2 Likes

If you try sazerac in an old fashioned you will be really happy. It makes an amazing drink. I tend to go heavy on the orange and bitters, but have been told my drinks kick the bourbon bars ass. The orange is key. Try squeezing a little of the orange into the mix. I like to do a picture at a time to get 2-3 drinks out of one mix.

I mix taste and go from there. Sazerac tends to stand up to my drunken mixing.

2 Likes

Jim Beam devil’s cut is also pretty tasty for a lower price

2 Likes

Agreed, i can drink it.

3 Likes