White Widow seeds germinate but die when they are around 1 inch tall

From a fellow grower: Seeds germinate then die when planted. The only thing I could think is that the temperature was too high at initial planting. It was 80 to 90 degrees but I kept them out of sunlight.

My latest growth sprouted but failed to grow anymore than an inch 1/2. After two months of growth and no development I tried to replant in larger containers. Not one of my seeds grew more than 1 1/2. They look healthy and even have some orange color to them. But they don’t grow or the stem doesn’t thicken. I still have three alive. They are three months old 1 inch plants.

Started with Miracle Grow soil but changed soil, bought sun gold black gold organic, Dr. Earth premium gold organic soil, burpee’s organic (don’t remember the type but all were organic potting soil. A couple of plantings I mixed a couple different soils. They are kept outside in a screened in area. Out of the direct sun and temp 70-80. If the temperature got high or rain I bring them in. They grew an inch and stopped growing. The plants look healthy but never grow more than an inch. I water them sparingly or little. I bought a water meter and kept the watering levels low.

1 Like

Cannabis needs direct lighting as soon as it sprouts. Not intense, but direct. This, along with several transplants between different types of soils could stunt/hault production completely.

Overwatering is also a cause for small plants. The roots go searching for water as your medium dries, and if it stays wet/moist, then the roots don’t have to search, therefore the root mass has no reason to spread. Small rootmass= small plants, most of the time.

I suggest a cannabis friendly soil. Fox Farms, Roots Organics, Coast of Maine are all good brands.
Hope this helps. Good luck and happy growing

7 Likes

Youre medium could have gotten to hot as well with mixing of soils and cooked your roots, its a good practice to amed your doil a week or 2 prior l; put it in a pot and treat it like theres a plant in it during that time to prime your housing for the plant. As pointed out above as well you dont tyipcally want to transplant unless the plant is in good health and has a developed root system. Along with soil amendments its not a bad idea to add some pummice to the recipe for airflow and drainage. I hate to say it but if it were me at 3 months and this was my circumstance id start over seems like alot of time and energy has already been soaked in already and that it might be better time invested starting over with the help of some the ladies and gentleman floating around her. Best of luck growmie hope it helps.

Seedlings need temps around 78-82 and an RH of 65-70% for the 1st few weeks. They draw moisture from the air through their leaves and need very little hand watering… a shot glass every 3 days or so depending on how wet the medium is. They’ll put roots down the 1st 2 weeks if these conditions are there. I would assume their not growing or dying due to the RH :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

He said theyre 3 months old, idk if rh would play that dramatic of a factor to only produce a couple leaves in that time, ive had to start seedlings in below 30% rh when humidifier broke and Still didnt have this drastic of an issue, might be a compund of issues in efect here.

I get soo stressed with seedlings. I think the big issue is the medium seedlings dont need any nutes in soil or otherwise as long as those lil mouse ear leaves are still green. Anything else except maybe jacks 321 is generally too much and they should be domed to keep the lil things in a humid environment. Just my thoughts

1 Like

Any plant I ever had go like that, when I culled it found it had not much for roots. That first few weeks is the problem so I say RH is or was a problem. Also it happened to me when my soil was mud.

2 Likes

1st thing that comes to mind

2 Likes

:point_up_2: I stated RH from his opening statement and seeing as these are only 1”. The RH stunted them during the seedling stage. Could be one of many variables with out more info to go on :love_you_gesture:

3 Likes

They look dried out. Seedlings like humidity. Put a clear glass over them while they are young so they hold humidity.