White Widow Autos - First Grow

Hello There,

I figured I would post pics and statistics as I go through this process. Just started 3 White Widow Autos and they broke soil on 1/5/20.

My setup:

One 4x2x5 foot vivosun tent
Three 300w Viparspec Full Spectrum LED light, 130w actual draw = 390watts.
165cfm hydropfarm 4in inline fan for passive intake
Exhausting into back yard with ducting connected to the outside
One 4in intake coming from outside in addition to the two mesh cutouts at the bottom of the tent that are about 3"x6"
Vicks 1gal humidifier
Sensorpush Hygrometer with graphs
Roots organics soil
Roots organics nutrients
Great White Shark Micorrihzie (sp)

Day 1:
Planted seedlings directly into 5 gallon pots to hopefully reduce the transplant shock time.

Day 2:
seeds have popped but I had to help them remove the seed case since I didn’t plant them deep enough. One of them was looking pretty rough… I have been spraying them down a couple times a day with some distilled water but haven’t actually watered them much since day 1

Day 9:

Seedlings are on their 3rd set of true leaves. Gave them a small dose of nutrients… first actuall watering since day 1.

… the 2nd pic here is the runt that actually recovered nicely.

Maintaining temp of 75º and a humidity of 45%.

Any feedback or pointers are appreciated. I’ve grown before but it’s been awhile… thanks!

3 Likes

Looking good.

You’ll want higher humidity for that seedling.

1 Like

How often are you watering? They look wet to me. Light mist on the leaves, drops can act like magnifying glasses and burn leaves.

1 Like

They are wet in the pic because I just gave them a spray. I haven’t been giving them much water aside from giving them like 10-15 sprays a day. Afterwards I take a paper towel to dab off the water droplets. I’ve read that if you plant them in a large pot without transplanting and dont give them a lot of water, the roots stretch out to find the water? I could be wrong… still very green.

I gave them about a gallon of distilled between the three 5 gallon pots on day 1. I just watered them again today with another gallon since the pots were very light.

I live in a very dry climate so maintaining higher humidity levels is actually a challenge with the intake/exhaust system I’m using… pulling fresh winter air from outside.

I’ve had it up as high as 70% but I started to notice some mildewy looking substance on my lights… nothing on the plants. I have pretty good airflow and I recycle the air in the tent every 2 mins.

When mine are that size the would get a cup and a half…maybe two…around outside of pot. I make the roots work. A third of a gallon is a lot in my my little world. I have three in 5-gallon pots that got 700 ml 2 days ago they are 30-days old and they might get some more tomorrow. Of course I’ve been known to under water, I figure I can always add more if needed.

1 Like

I appreciate the feedback. I felt like I was being conservative since the temps hit the mid 80s a couple times. Here’s a snapshot of the last 24 hours in my tent… someone forgot to fill the humidifier and hang a new wet towel before work…

2 Likes

So, I had to go out of town for a week unexpectedly without anyone to really look after the plants. Bummer. When I got back, the temps were at about 85º and 10% humidity… ouch. Here’s what they look like at the moment. Is the yellowing caused from the high temps and low humidity, or do you think it’s from a PH or feeding issue? Super bummed. Thanks!

Strangely enough, the healthiest plant is the one I thought was going to die as a seedling.

@Bubblehead @FlxerPower @Covertgrower @elheffe702

1 Like

Could be a little of all of that. But the leaves I see yellowing are the ones that usually end up doing something pretty similar. They are they oldest leaves, and they might’ve got consumed somewhat from the plant getting a little ‘hungry’ not so much in sense that there’s not enough to eat in the soil, but with no water in it, there’s no way for it to be ‘sucked’ up in there. You see that a lot on larger plants where those first few sets of leaves end up shaded. I would skip right back into your normal routine with watering/feeding, and get a good reading of the runoff next go round, then go from there. In the meantime, get the environment back in check, and they should bounce right back. The others may see something I’m not, but I think you’re alright, all in all. :v:

2 Likes

So you got a jumpstart on late flowering. I wouldn’t mind it. That phase I would be turning on the dehumidifier anyways. So 10% is just energy savings. @LardLad

2 Likes

I agree with what @elheffe702 said. I saw your post just before I left for work today and that is how I would have responded if had the time.

2 Likes

Thank you for the replies everyone!

1 Like

Nobody F’s with the Jesus.
1 Like

Here’s how things look on day 37 from seed. Still have those yellow leaves of course from when I had to go out of town but they seem to be doing OK. One of them has some yellow spots showing around the tips of some lower leaves that looks a bit different from the other yellowing issue I was having. Any ideas? Thanks!

1 Like

Most of the yellow looks like just rapid, new growth. But the tips yellowing might be nutrient burn. The soil might be too hot for what they want. I haven’t used Roots Organic, so I’m not sure how it behaves right out of the bag. If organic soils ‘cook’ too long, sometimes that happens. Also, overwatering makes more available to the plants, so be careful to give them just what they need, not too much.

1 Like

Thanks. It’s a delicate dance between giving them enough water to have 20% runoff and and over watering. I’ve noticed that I have a hard time getting the soil wet all the way down to the bottom of the cloth pots. Think I should do 3gal pots next time? Also, is this a decent LST job? Thank you again !

1 Like

Looks good to me! Yes, it can be a delicate balance, even harder when it’s a small seedling in a large container. 3 gallon is just about perfect for autos. Some use 5 gallon, but that will obviously allow them to get a little bigger which is something to consider if you’re limited, height-wise. You can start them in smaller containers and pot them up as they grow, but if you’re not confident in transplanting, autos are especially sensitive to stress, so there’s that, too.

2 Likes

You’re the man, Heffe. Thanks for the wisdom.

Any time :v: