White Widow auto... after germination, they are dying off

A customer has a question and I hope we can get some opinions on it, thanks

“Hello, I have 20 autoflower White Widow seeds and after germination, they are dying off. The seeds are exhibiting weak growth and are very pale, eventually dying. I germinate them per ILGM instructions and put them in Root Riot seed starters and water with a PH of 6.8 or so. I am not over watering them. So far out of 10 seeds planted, 6 of them have died. I am not sure this cross of White Widow and Ruderalis is completely stable. By the way, I have non-autoflower seeds before and had no issues. I do not have any pictures because they have already died off. I may be able to find the dead seedlings though. Here is the other info you require.”

Strain (type, bag seed): White Widow Auto flower
Soil in pots, hydroponic, or coco?: Roots Organic 707 soli w/ Extra Worm Castings
PH of runoff or solution in reservoir?: Soil PH Meter shows soil from 6-7
What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS: NA
Indoor or outdoor: Indoor
Light system, size?: 100 watt CFL x 4 placed about 6" away from plants
Temps day, night: 70-75F
Humidity day, night: 50% average
Ventilation system (yes/no, size): Closet - the door was opened daily
AC, humidifier, de-humidifier?:
Co2 (yes/no): No

How old are they when they die off? Also another thing about genetics and being stably crossed, that wont cause them to die if they are untstabley bred.

If a strain is stably bred then there will be absolutely no difference in the offspring, they will express every gene and trait the mother plant did. If a plant is just bred and isn’t stable, than likely the offspring will have lots of variations and would be expressing different traits than the mother as well.

2 Likes

I bought the 10 + 10 wwa’s 06-01 soaked them in bottled water Dasani. 17 sprouted. Planted them 1/4-1/2 inch in Fox Farm organic. Many were deformed when they broke forth, many had yellow heads like wax, after 5 days they were too weak to shed the seed hull. Killed 3 myself by gently trying to remove the hulls. I got aggravated and just let nature do her job. Unfortunately out of that 17 only two made it. They are super scrawny and less than 2 inches. I didn’t even bother to contact customer service, it’s out of there hands. They guaranteed a tail from the seed, not a thriving seedling. I will continue to do business with ILGM as we are family, seriously doubt that I will buy any more for the rest of the year. Not complaining or giving a bad review, sometimes this stuff happens. Really no ones fault. There are times nature doesn’t like to be tampered with. Guess we both had serious misfortune. Sorry, I have an idea how you feel.

2 Likes

I guess if you start anything from seed you always have some that never sprout, sprout and die and some that make it to the big time. I’ve gardened all of my life and this is true with tomato through corn, to green beans. I ALSO got the WW 10+10, and only planted 5 seeds as this is my first grow and they are expensive. I figure I’ll have the others to fall back on if I mess up or just end up with bad conditions. I also am doing a ground grow and container outdoor grow because this is all a big experiment to me. Wishing you luck.@maximusindica

2 Likes

I got the 10+10 that cam with the starter set. Dropped 4 and 4 germinated. All 4 sprouted but I do have one that only has the feeder set of leaves. The other 3 are already working on their 2nd set of leaves and today is only day 3 since they sprouted. Not sure why you had the issue you had.

1 Like