Hey guys im in week 8 of flower and just noticed a little bit of white fuzzy mold on one of my buds. It doesnt look like wpm as it is more fibrous in structure. Is it possible to use something to keep it at bay for the last week or two of flower or should i just cut that bud off? I’m really hesitant to cut it because its one of the best looking colas in the group but I’ll chop that bitch if i have to. Its a very tiny spot and i already scraped away as much of the moldy fibers is i could. Would ethanol kill it or would it just damage my plant? I’ve also heard of baking soda and water but i wanted to get some opinions before i make a decision. I tried to get a picture but it wasnt showing up because its so small.
Peroxide will help with some, the scraping probably transmitted spores everywhere.
Consider removing the infected bud and treating the whole plant with a weak peroxide solution.
Lets hear from some others before you cut it.
Some others may have better suggestions.
Is it inside or out?
Can you post a pic of the entire plant?
I ended up finding more so i cut it. It’s sad but i dont want to risk my other plants. But im still interested in hearing ideas so i can know what to do if i ever see mold again.
Low humidity under 50% or less, air circulation, and air exchange are the largest factors in keeping mold at bay.
I personally shoot for 40% or less. The humidity typically goes up at night during lights out.
Farther away shots would be good to add to better examine the possible mold issues.
All the plants in the vicinity will have spores in them…
I would do a Peroxide spray of them. 50/50 3% peroxide and water in a spray bottle.
That mold and fungus stuff can ruin a bud in a single day.
Why do I even bother answering haha! Nicely said.
During the day my rh was 35% give or take but at night it was getting up to 85%. I think that coupled with my broken oscillating fan caused my issue. Is the bud still safe to smoke after applying h2o2(peroxide)?
If it’s wpm it’ll come off with a peroxide bath post harvest, and be consumable.
If it’s bud rot/grey mold/botrytis it’s not safe to consume no matter what you do.
As I’ve recently learned, you can use straight 3% h2o2 to spray down your plants. Some are a little more sensitive and show some leaf damage after, some don’t even flinch. It seems to do a decent job at eliminating wpm if you do several applications. Personally I found zero effect on bud rot.
To slow down bud rot use potassium bicarbonate at 1tbs/gal water sprayed liberally. It will not eliminate it, it will not make the infected buds consumable, but it gives you a little more time to flower as it slows the spread.
I cut and discarded all the infected buds. But good to know about h2o2 and potassium bicarbonate. Thank you. Im taking this as a learning experience for the future.
Peroxide degrades quickly into Water and Oxygen. Our bodies naturally contain trace amounts of peroxide naturally. SO yes, you can consume/use bud after treatment. Some will rinse after as a precaution, I never bother.
While its caustic at high concentrations…were talking 3% or less if diluted further.
I hate to say it but, no mold alive or dead is safe to consume. Everyone reacts differently to mold and the spores they produce. One person could tolerate what could cause an allergic reaction in someone eles.
Mycology is fun.
But what about Brie?
People can have allergic to brie. It just doesnt produce the mycotoxins others can…(if im remembering correctly)
Yes, some people have issues.
But some people are always sensitive to everything…
This topic got me thinkin, “can a topical spray penatrate far enough into the bud to kill all the mold?”
The only way i know to kill mold dead is to make it so it cant live in its substrate/environment. Moisture content of substrate lower then 20%.
Oh and some spores can survive intense heat…so a bic isnt gonna do much.