White foam on damaged branch?

Hey folks, looking for some help on this one. One of my 6 big girls has this going on one of the branches about 4 feet up, and one of the “topped” sites from back months ago.

Below and above look healthy, just localized on this one branch. I was careful and scraped all the white “stuff” off yesterday thinking it was mold, and got down to the woody portion as all the outer green was gone. Not soft at the stem in this spot, which makes me think something chewed off the outer green of the branch and she is trying to heal herself. Kinda sweating at the site and this white stuff forming which has me thinking that. I could, and probably are way off on my theory. I’m not opposed to cutting this branch completely off, but I find this fascinating and just observing a number of times throughout the day to see what’s going on. Plants are in great health so I’m leaning less towards mold or infection, and more towards something happened at that site, and she is trying her best to heal. That’s what I’m hoping for anyways. Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

That is really weird indeed! It kind looks like slime flux but I have never heard of it on cannabis. If it doesn’t matter, I, personally, would just cut off that branch… it seems to be a bacterial but maybe someone else here can say for sure…
@Covertgrower?

2 Likes

That doesn’t look good, and not sure how large of a branch that might be, I would cut it off.

Is there any wilting or otherwise signs of distress?
@BobbyDigital @Myfriendis410

2 Likes

Possible stem rot. Get a kids paintbrush mix peroxide and water strong and brush it all hold a napkin under it to catch any that rolls down to not spread it. See of it looks like a top layer or a deeper wound like a pillar might have burrowed thru the stalk there. Just wrap a napkin under the spot to catch whatever drips down as u brush it and if i was u i would have the brush soaked in solution and start bottom of wound and pull bursh up collect whatever u can on the brush rinse and repeat til u can see the damage. Is kinda weird tho just being that small spot. My aunt had this on 1 plant outside and there was a small pillar that got in the center and started to do its thing lol

3 Likes

@Caligurl @Covertgrower thanks for input. No signs anywhere else on the plant to suggest an issue. Healthy overall and that branch I could chop off for sure. This is one of 4 main top branches so not the end of the world to take it off.

2 Likes

@Mark0427 thanks for the insight. Definately looks to suggest something burrowed in there but I don’t see any hole. I’ll try the peroxide/water treatment like you suggested. Worth a try before I chop that branch. I have 6 plants all heavily into flower and well over 7 feet, so I could spare this one main top. Appreciate the help.

@Mark0427 if I do take that branch off, what can I do to protect that wound as I’m well into flower? Not sure it will have time to heal properly and may risk infection at that cut site. Branch would be about 5/8" diameter at the node.

2 Likes

What happened to the branch for it to be skinned like that. Did u have tape to it or something. If it is still bad after u wash and look at it. Atleast its sterile in the area so when u cut it there is no spores gonna fly around. Good luck. Post pocs of what it looks like after u clean it so we can see results. Sometimes seeing is a big helper for other to learn from to help out

1 Like

If u cut the branch off put homey or aloe over the spot covering the wound and wrap a small piece of syran wrap over it for a few days to keep any stiff out of the wound. Treat the wounds on plants as u would one on ur arm or leg. Clean and wrap to avoid infections or diseases.

2 Likes

So… if I cut off my arm or leg I should put honey or aloe on it?

3 Likes

After you stop the bleeding yes @Allinherhead :joy:

4 Likes

U might wanna have a super hot piece of metal around to cauterize it. Lol. Id highly recommend a dr tho

3 Likes

I couldn’t help it I needed a laugh.

1 Like

It’s merely a flesh wound

4 Likes

I believe that’s what they call sclerotinia. Had something like that on a lime tree I had and that’s what the arborist called it. Had to cut down the tree.

3 Likes

@Packof3
Maybe…?

1 Like

@BobbyDigital yup, that’s what it looks like for sure. I checked some pics out on the net. Hopefully the whole plant isn’t infected.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for chiming in. Not easy for sure growing outdoors…too many variables. I’ll let everyone know how I decide to tackle this with everyone’s feedback, and follow up if the plant gets worse or if it gets to finish and harvest. Have a great day everyone and Happy Growing!

2 Likes

@Mark0427 that may have been an area where I used some velcro plant tape to secure one of my bamboo poles to that branch. Can’t recall a 100% but that may have been the case. I’ll check the other areas of the plant where I currently have velcro taped to the support poles.

2 Likes