Which RO Buddy to buy

So im about to make a purchase on a RO buddy and would like to know which one I should get the 3 stage or 4 stage I could only assume the 4 stage is better

I upgraded to a 4 stage about a year ago and I’m pretty happy with it.

1 Like

Is there any big difference between the 2 besides obviously 1 more filtration stage I believe the 4 stage also includes a deionization filter and the 3 stage doesn’t

I have the RO buddy 100 three stage will bring 320 water down to about 6 to 8p.p.m. puts out about 5 gallons in roughly 38-39 minutes depending on water temps and pressure cooler temps and a little higher pressure works best 65 PSI Max

1 Like

May want to get the 100gpd (gallons per day) model over 50gpd, goes quicker.

2 Likes

Sucks we can’t link sites here. I know where there is a nice 4 stage 100 gpd unit you can get for only 67.00 It is a pure water club if you do a search. It should come right up :grin:
This is the item number POQ-4B-100

3 Likes

I appreciate the feedback yall I already pulled the trigger and got a 3 tage RO buddy off of Amazon for 50$ it will get me started in the rite direction at this point any ro system is gonna be better than weekly trips to various grocery stores for distilled water haha its becoming harder and harder to find in stock in my area which I find odd lol I also only fill a 5 gallon container and use out of that I could fill 2 and be set for a few weeks

1 Like

You’ll be quite happy with it. I’ve also found its been very consistent in both the resulting water and processing time.

I have the 50GPD version and it runs a gallon almost spot on every 12 minutes with my pressure.

I need to look closer, but I’m also pretty sure the only difference between the 50 and 100GPD is the membrane / filters. When it comes time to replace I may just “upgrade” the guts with the 100GPD innards…

Just make sure to follow the instructions and run it for 30 minutes (if I remember right) before using the “clean” water.

3 Likes

Ran my RO buddy yesterday and dam I wish I woulda bought one sooner hooked it straight up to my spigot to my well and within 2hr I had a clean 5 gallons with 10 gallons of waste water that will go to all the outside hostas on another note I read somewhere that if using well water my water should be ran through a softner first before going through the ro system is this true and why? @CygnusX1 @Not2SureYet @Hellraiser

1 Like

I’ve never heard that myself but I’m on municipal water so can’t say I did any research on that front.

The only thing I’ve heard of any concern around well water is sometimes needing a booster pump if the well pressure is too low which I wouldn’t think is a very common problem and sounds like a non-issue for you.

Really do love the system. I actually ran a dedicated water line and spigot for it and mounted the system to a wall near my basin sink. Amazingly convenient.

2 Likes

Yeah if the well water is really “hard” (full of calcium and magnesium) it will require more frequent RO filter changes, a softener will prolong the need for filter changes. Do you get a lot of calcium deposits on the plumbing/faucets, if so you have hard water. I have hard tap water so my RO and DI filters never last as long as they should.

3 Likes

Yeah im definitely on hard water here sounds like i should be just fine tho the filters aren’t to badly priced at all im not to worried if they need changed a little more often im ok with what im getting now my EC is now at 65.0 and my TDS is now at 48.5 ppm as to where my ppm is to be in the 600s PH also seems to be alot more stable also sitting at 6.60 as to where it use to be about a 8.0

3 Likes

My water is 535ppm. So super hard. And yep, it is almost time to change mine out. A normal 50gpd unit takes 2 hours per 5 gallons. My 100gpd takes just over an hour. I think the harder the water. The harder it has to work.
@CygnusX1 You also need to change the restrictor valve along with the membrane to make your set up bigger.

2 Likes

Awesome. Adding that to my grow list with the membrane and filters on Amazon. Appreciate that.

2 Likes

@CygnusX1 Only the membrane and restrictor are different. The other 2 filters are the same as the 50gdp

1 Like

Makes sense. I have all in the list regardless as I don’t plan to “upgrade” until it’s time to change the filters / membrane anyway so I’ll do all at once.

The 50 is meeting my needs just no reason not to speed things up when it’s time for a refresh anyway. :+1::+1:

1 Like

So everyone usually i don’t flush my plants at the end before harvest but I feel as if the every few day feed is keep 2 of my plants from finishing prety much all pistils are orange but my trics aren’t changing to much surprisingly the only plant that’s trics are ambering is the Chemdog and thats a sativa dominant strain and I just started week 10 yesterday can I use just plain ro to flush do I need to ph it is my main concern

Don’t need to ph it, I use straight RO water for a while before harvest with no ph adjustments.

1 Like

Just to add to @Hellraiser 's response.

You really can’t PH RO water without adding something (CalMag as an example) to raise the PPM and “allow” it to hold PH.

You’ll chase it forever with straight RO.

2 Likes

@Hellraiser @CygnusX1 Yeah from what I understood thats what I thought just needed that little bit of reassurance haha ill start giving just plain ro water starting today then this will be the first time I haven’t ran nutes up to harvest lol