Which numbers are the most reliable - of course we are talking ph and ppm

, ,

Thank You Bud! Great info!! I think I got it!! LOL I’ll calibrate new one 1000 ppm KCI. You’ve been extremely helpful. I have see, play with meter. Have a great day! :grinning:

Your calibrating solution is NaCI

1 Like

Yes I misspoke. In fine print underneath fine print it says…1060 as HCI… 1450 as “442” …2000 as js

I have used FF trio for over a year (my first year). During this time I really only ran into three issues. One was pushing to much and early Grow Big. I totally nuked an amnesia haze with nitrogen toxicity. I always had to supplement with calmag. This is a common issue. Finally, and this is on me because of ignorance, I did not ph anything the first couple of grows. This changed with growing amnesia haze auto. It is apparently a much more ph sensitive strain than the WWA and blueberry I grew before it.
Your switching to AN ph perfect products will mitigate this last issue. Ph perfect apparently works based on posts and accolades on this forum.

2 Likes

I started considering the AN nutes after reading this thread. Question, does it just keep pH set in feeding liquid or will it actually control the pH of the soil as well?

The organic line I will be using is not part of the ph perfect lineup. I’ll see what @Cap_Ron @Chasfitter have to say.

2 Likes

I don’t have any experience with organic nutrients. I started out with Fox Farm, then I used NPK Industries for a couple of runs. None of those grows went as well as I would have liked. Since I started using the Advanced Nutrients Connoisseur line with the additives everything has gone perfectly. I haven’t done any research into the advantages or disadvantages to organics. If I hadn’t found something that works so well for me I’d probably put more effort into researching it, but I couldn’t imagine switching to anything else at this point. The pH perfect technology is a tremendous factor for me. Just out of curiosity, is there a specific reason you’re going with the organic line?

1 Like

@Eagles009 had a question (post 24) I was unable to answer so thought I would hand it over to you.

1 Like

Primarily, thought I would give it a try. The other is my wife. The only thing in the last 15+ years she has consumed that isn’t organic is her weed. So given AN’s exceptional reputation, me not wanting to mess with teas, top dressings etc and wanting to go organic anyway, I thought AN was the logical choice. It is very tough right now finding any of it in stock. Have placed a couple orders and then I am notified it is out of stock and not sure when they will be getting it. I’ll keep after it.

1 Like

It only has an effect on your mixture going in. Once you feed, there are many variables in determining the soil pH. I no longer pay attention to runoff pH or PPM unless I see something in my plants that concerns me, and that hasn’t happened once since I started using Advanced Nutrients.

2 Likes

I hear you, my local grow store is back ordered on tons of things, including nutrients and especially soils. Just keep your eye on the expiration date of any AN products you buy online. I’ve found out the hard way that retailers sell expired products online and just hope folks won’t notice. Most of AN products don’t have expiration dates, but the live bacteria and fungus varieties like Voodoo Juice, Piranah, and Tarantula do. I bought a $65 bottle of Voodoo Juice on Amazon because my local store was out of it. It had expired almost a year ago. The retailer wouldn’t respond to my emails. I contacted AN and they immediately sent me a new bottle, and assured me they would investigate the retailer. A few days later the retailer responded to me and apologized. They said AN demanded they return any further outdated products. So not only do their products work really well, but they have great customer service as well.

1 Like

@ Beardless I have been buying all AN nutes at (HTG supply) @ hellraiser turned me on to.

2 Likes

@Cap_Ron You said you dont check RO ppms or pH unless you see something wrong. I’m on my first grow so I don’t know squat. I’m going to AN nutes next grow. Anyway Don’t you want to know what those readings were last time you watered/feed when you do see something wrong?

1 Like

Thanks. I checked HTG they have 2 out of 3 I am looking for. The one it doesn’t have is for flower so I may have to take care of grow & bloom now and catch up to Bud Candy later

2 Likes

Well, that’s exactly the way I understood it when I started, but after gaining some experience, and sorting through a whole lot of bad advice to find the good pieces, I’ve abandoned the runoff check. I’m not saying that it would never be helpful to know your runoff, but I think it’s way overplayed, and in my case it was detrimental. I was feeding/watering based on my runoff readings. This was due to inexperience and tons of bad information online. I was always chasing my tail, trying to keep runoff numbers where I was told they belong.
Now, I feed/water based on a schedule and more importantly, how my plants look. I can tell when they’re a bit more hungry, or when they’ve had their fill.
There are way too many factors for someone at my level to truly understand everything that’s going on in the soil. With the Coco Peat I’m using, the runoff PPM was sometimes over 6000, and it seems to really jack the pH runoff up off the chart. Some of this I figured out on my own, as well as some of it coming in the form of advice from people I really trust. But the most important thing is the results. Since the day I stopped checking runoff, and always fiddling with my feedings to counter what I was seeing, my plants have all been considerably happier and healthier. Not a single deficiency or lockout. I’m not saying it is the best way for everyone, and I’m sure many people will also have success doing it their way, but it’s working great for me, so I’m sticking with it.

4 Likes

Forgot to mention but the shipping has been same on big order and smaller order.

This is my first time using AN, so far the Connie line has not let me down

2 Likes

@BeeKeeper2 @Cap_Ron @Chasfitter I talked with a hydro shop in Gurnee, Il. I was told AN is in the process of reworking it’s organic line. New labeling “True Organics”, adding products and possibly reformulating some of them, and causing some distribution delays.

4 Likes

It’s the repetitive actions you dont even notice that work.

Dont you feel stretched to the limit so much that its destroying, you?. @BeeKeeper2 I have about half the drive Cap has on his worst day :smile: I like his idea…but I’m OCD among other personalities :alien: :point_left: is that an alien? shh I’m checking my RO flush for ph and ppm because this one leaf is tinged a bit to green and my pistol maturity count isn’t complete…:wink:

Seriously I ne…would like very much to know the process. I have no idea about any of these advanced techniques.

1 Like

Excellent feedback. I am in the middle of the process for measuring pH and EC from a slurry sample. Not quite a waste of time but what you posted from what others have told you makes so much sense! I am “careful” about pH levels going in when adding nutrients, etc. “What comes out is only important if there is a problem.” I guess the only question I have left is; “Now, why…did I buy a PPM meter?” LOL! Best to have it when it is needed! Thanks for the information! (On my first grow so a major learning experience for me.)