Which LED light should I get?

Hello everyone!
I’m currently working my way through my first grow. I thought I did thorough research on everything, and I still feel that way aside from my lights.
I read a bunch of articles and watched a bunch of videos on lights. Conveniently, all these articles and videos had links to amazon to buy them. Come to find out a lot of these are commission based, and not fully factual. Now I’m doubting the lights I bought.
I ended up going with two 1500W BESTVA DC series. Your “typical blurple” LED lights. I will attach some specs that they came with. Actual power draw is 280W according to specs. 500W HID equivalent.
I have since read a lot of forums, including @dbrn32 topics he has created, and read more articles/watch more videos. This leads me to believe that even though my grow is going okay so far. It could be better with better lights.

I’m looking for an LED light that has a somewhat uniform distribution in my 4x4ft tent. I am looking to spend $1000 or less hopefully. The less heat it produces, the better. And I’d like a light that will take my girls from seed to harvest (I don’t want different lights for veg/flower). Also, The tent is only 80” tall, so the closer it can be to the plants the better so I don’t have to keep the plants super short.

Right now I think I have found 5 decent lights and I am looking for help and input as I’m still learning. I’m kind if leaning towards the growers choice
-OpticLED Optic 4XL 460W
-Arden Emerald Hammer EH550
-Horticulture Lighting Group HLG V2 R-spec
-ChilLED Growcraft X3-500w
-Grower’s Choice ROI E-680
I’m not limiting myself to these though. Feel free to make new recommendations. Or do you think the lights I have now are near this quality?

@Myfriendis410 @Drinkslinger @BetrayedSoul @Covertgrower tagging all of you for the great help you’ve been in the passed, please feel free to tag any known LED light experts! Thank you in advance for the help :blush:

Current light spec

Picture is from yesterday. Currently they’re 38 days from germination, 40 days from seed. LST Trained

Current set up. I did 9 plants my first grow. Plan to only do 4-6 in the future to really train them and let them have some space to grow.

1 Like
  • What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed: Banana Kush and Purple Haze, ILGM Fem
  • Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF soil - FFOF
  • Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, Troths cloth pots
  • PH of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable) always give water 6.4-6.6, Runoff NA
  • PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable I don’t have ppm/tds YET, I give RO water with CalMag in every other watering.
  • Indoor or Outdoor indoor, 48x48x80”
  • Light system **(2) 1500W BestvaDC, 23-24” above top of plants 18/6 schedule. **
  • Temps; Day, Night 76-82 day, 66-70 night
  • Humidity; Day, Night Set at 50% around the clock
  • Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size yes, 6” approx 200 cfm
  • AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier, NA, I wired exhaust fan to dehumidistat to keep humidity at 50%
  • Co2; Yes, No No, but I do have intake air coming in the top periodically
    Also want to add, I have a 6” oscillating exhaust fan 24” above plants on lowest setting. I have another 6” standard (non-oscillating) fan on low setting at the very top of the tent. It doesn’t even get to the plants, just keeps air moving

You will get most uniform intensity going with a light styled after fluence spydr series. most of the fluence lights will be out of your budget, but there are some decent copies of it out and about for around $1000.

New chilled lights are pretty dope. The one you listed is on smaller side though. If going that route, what about one of the larger kits?

That was the biggest ChilLED light I could find in my price range.
I’m looking for it to be just more uniform than the ones I have now at least. I have had to tie down those middle 3 much more than the rest because they’re growing substantially faster. Would just prefer it to be more even if I’m going to make the upgrade.
I want to say again though. I don’t plan on doing 9 plants again. 4-6 in the future. So the pots won’t be packed like sardines. Not sure if that makes a difference.

I could be wrong, but the Grower’s Choice ROI e-680 is similar to the Fluence Spydr lights you mentioned, right?

Yup. I just don’t have any experience with them or know anyone that I trust with one. Looks good on paper though.

2 Likes

Not sure how good you are at putting something together, but, rapid LED makes a COB fixture, and they sell the chill led kit alongside. You assemble. Not terrible if you’re mechanically inclined.

1 Like

Any of the lights you listed are going to be a substantial upgrade from what you have. If you go back to chilled tech, look in the diy parts/kits tab. You can get biggest light they make in a kit for $1000. The x5 for $899 probably plenty good enough. Assembly video is there, would be worth watching and see if its something you could do.

2 Likes

Okay thank you! Are you familiar with a light out there that will match what I’m looking for, for under $1000? Or am I being unrealistic.

1 Like

Okay thanks a lot!

1 Like

Okay thanks. I’ve never done it before. So would be nervous to spend all the money and mess it up. I am in the trades (HVAC) though, so I’d like to think I’m mechanically inclined enough to do it, just not sure I have the knowledge to pick out the best options.

3 Likes

Building light I’d pretty much like putting cord on household appliances as far as wiring goes. They are pretty much all solder free now. As long as you have the right components its piece of cake.

2 Likes

Okay good to know. I’m willing to try it then.
It makes me feel better knowing any of these would be an upgrade. But you think chilled is my best option? Sorry if I’m being redundant with my questions. Just trying to be thorough and get the best bang for my buck with my next light. Since my first purchase already feels like a waste I want my next light to be the best I can get and make up for it :joy:

Idk, chilled is a good light. One you mentioned above isn’t even available for another month.

1 Like

Okay thank you

1 Like

@MidwestGuy @AfgVet @MrPeat @Reticence

2 Likes

As far as lights go I always turn to dbrn32. He’s the guy when it comes to light knowledge. Based off his recommendations I built my own lights using HLG QB 120 panels. I am very happy with them and getting easy to build a couple more

2 Likes

Okay thank you @AfgVet ! I am reading nothing but good things about HLG on this site, kind of tempting to go that direction. There’s too many options out there! Makes for tough decision

3 Likes

@AfgVet, @ahuff774
I’m running 4 QB120’s. Couldn’t be happier, with the results I’m getting on my first grow!
1 super skunk photo
1 white widow auto
SS should be ready to harvest by the weekend, whit WWA has a couple more weeks to go.

2 Likes

Wrong pic lol

4 Likes