Where to check trichomes

Where do you guys normally take your samples from?

1 Like

Follow the pistils back to the calyx and check the trichs from there. This will give you the most accurate time frame. Most of the time I end up looking at leaves on accident, but leaves turn amber before the flower. It’s best to be stable if you’re using a microscope.

3 Likes

A lower flower along the bottom.

2 Likes

Thanks man! I too use the leaves at times and understand the problems that come that way. With The microscope I use, I have to keep cutting, from the plant and testing on a flat surface. But I guess a small sample wont hurt

1 Like

See those nice white pistils you have on your buds? Those need to darken before you even need to begin checking the trichomes. They aren’t close to finishing

2 Likes

Hmm thats interesting, don’t these pistils dry out and grow new ones all the time?

Growing pistils are white. As long as it’s making new pistils the bud is developing, thickening and fattening up. All good things for those of us who work so hard at this.

Unfortunately for anxious growers, the bud won’t reach its greatest potential until the plant fully matures. Once it is fully mature the pistils darken and shrink and there is about a four week window where the trichomes switch from clear to milky to amber colored. Somewhere along this 4 week timeline you can harvest depending on the buzz you want.

4 Likes

Ditto! I feel like it’s little early to be checking trichs as well.

2 Likes

Thanks for the the knowledge. One last thing; I still can’t wrap my head on when you harvest affects the type of buzz. Isn’t that decided by the strain you have? Are you saying that a strain known to give you a head high for a example, can be “converted” to giving you a couch potato feel based on when you harvest? Or is it more of the quality of the high; like how long it lasts, how it smells etc that is affected?

1 Like

From what I have read. To early of an harvest, gets you that head high, more of a speed high, doesn’t last long

In the harvest windows, does what you want it to, more body, and balance head high.

To late, couch lock, mostly body with heavy head high.

Different strains do have different effects, of course.