Where do I do my drying?

I am about 4 to 6 weeks out from harvest ( should be around 3rd week in October). Mine was a outside grow regular seeds got from friend ice og. Problem is I don’t know where to dry. Inside house not a option but part of the garage is. Also I have a covered porch off master bedroom does not get any direct sunlight. Was thinking about tarping the porch and getting as dark as possible with few fans moving the air. The average temps for end oct beginning of Nov highs of low 70’s lies in the mid 60’s central valley ca so not worried about rain. And being out side the smell might dissapate faster. Amy ideas would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

What’s the RH% inside vs outside. When I lived in San Diego, the RH was to low to dry outside.

3 Likes

I looked up average for my area in October 53% Nov 69%

1 Like

Mr Harold-
Necessity is the mother of invention, and sealing off the covered porch should be ok. If not, use a little space in your garage. I dont know how big your plants are but you could get a few totes and put the buds in those to dry. You’d need to burp them daily for a week or two then its into mason jars with boveda packs.

1 Like

5 plants three r 6’ and 2 are almost 7’ first grow so nothing to compare to but the look full of buds. Just worried garage area will be to small.

It’s rare to see someone dry outside, but if you can keep it dark with a gentle breeze and RH in the 60s you will be fine IMO.

1 Like

Not ideal but might have to do this year. Or drying racks in garage. But heard racks are bad for the buds

1 Like

Zee-
If he puts what he harvested in colored totes then that would keep the light out. And he could leave the tops cracked and run a fan over them. Its not ideal, but it could work. You could even put hygrometers in to make sure the humidity doesn’t get too high/low. What do you think?

1 Like

He would be exposed to mold IMO. He needs space and air flow through all the bud. Never used a tote to dry, what do I know :slight_smile:

After a 3 to 5 days of drying I could see using a tote, to slow the drying down, which is preferred amongst some grower’s.

I don’t know if he plans to hang the whole plant of just his colas.

2 Likes

Any recommendations I’ll gladly take. Was think cut them off by the branch’s. Heard hanging whole plant takes forever to dry.

1 Like

I’d cut the colas off, and not trim. Trim after drying aka, dry trimming.

1 Like

Cool I was hoping to have some trim for butter

1 Like

Found black and white panda film it’s 5.5 mil thick. White side for in side grow rooms and black to block light thinking the 10’ x 50’ will work. Only need about half but rest I can use when I build my grow room in garage. ( If I ever get garage cleared out :joy:)

1 Like

You could go with panda film. You could go to a moving company and buy a big moving box and use it to dry them.

Lots of growers use a cardboard box…I have before, works great.

1 Like

That’ might work. But worried about smell in garage but I’ll look in to it. I really appreciate all the suggestion.

1 Like

Mr Harold-
If you are worried about the smell you could get an exhaust fan with a carbon filter. That would take care of the smell.

1 Like

do whatever you can with whatever you have. my hillbilly dry box is cardboard with hemp clothesline

2 Likes

I really like the box idea but how do u handle air flow? Saw few pictures where they used the hanging style drying rack inside the drying box.

1 Like

i put a zillion holes in it. i have a flap at the top and on the side. i used a little fan last time and i didnt like how fast it dried so i didnt use one next time and it was much better. plus at lights out i open the door i cut in the box and leave it open for fresh air

2 Likes

@LoCoRock uses paper bags

1 Like