When to Top/Prune gals

Thanks Axeman.
Only four of those shown in pics are Autos - the two “focused” on. The others are Fem, which I thought wouldn’t germinate (separate discussion there) but I planted them anyway.
In any case; these two, separated in soil by 4 or 5 days, seem to be doing reasonably well. The largest approaching 3weeks Sunday PM.
FWIW; I’m going to move ahead w/topping at a minimum. Will keep y’all posted.

1 Like

Thanks @Nicky ,
Yeah…well…1st grow and needed to get moving sooner than later - thought I’d get my feet wet w/plain-ol’ soil before considering other mediums.
Okay - I’ve asked elsewhere - what is FIM’ing? Please shoot me a link if you have one nearby.
More light - okay. I had a “Chart” from Spiderfarmer for their SF-1000, but lost the darn thing. I was concerned about having too much light on the sproutlings (Fem Blueberry) also growing.
The peat-pots - yeah, I learned the hard way. I’ll toss 'em in a Jiffy! I have 5gal bags and Happy Frog + Cultivation Nation ready to mix and transplant these two or more.

Here you go

You will know if you give to much kgiht because the top of the leafs will start to bleach

Okay - so cutting 80% of the “leafing” growth above the 4th, or 5th node.
I believe I can do that.
Thanks

2 Likes

FIM stands for “F#%k, I Missed” It is now a well used technique but started as an oopsie when someone tried to top a young sprout.

3 Likes

In theory you get the benefit of topping ( more side branch growth ) and it will recover and continue to grow from the partially topped node as well.

1 Like

@Nicky @Axemanjake23 @HMGRWN @Randy_Marsh et. al…
Ran into some trouble over the past week with all of these. See: Too much light I'm sure.How to handle?
Now - after averting a potential disaster, I’m on to when to top/Fim these WW-Autos. Which have been in soil waaaaaay to long with improper lighting and now nutes.
Please see pic WWS’s and a NLA in grow bags. I removed 1st serrated leaf from the second plants because of their condition due to insufficient nutrients. And, they’re now in Happy Frog + Cultivation Nation 60/40 soil since Thursday PM with SF-1000 light at 100%

The overall grow pic below.

Kindly RSVP.

2 Likes

After all they have been through, I would let them rest and recover a few days before trying to top/fim.
As for LST, they are pretty small but you might could start gently nudging them over.

1 Like

What the person above said. I dont do much to my plants unless they are vigorously growing.

1 Like

Let them get healthy, fim at 4th/5th node

@Nicky @Axemanjake23 @HMGRWN - busy week…back to the conversation.
Okay, so after 6 full days transplant they’re doing well overall. In HF+CN and had a second watering pH7-H2O no nutrients added.
The lack of nutrients in WWA#1 is still visible on second set of leaves (1st set was removed on 4/29).
Question #1: Should I remove the dying 2nd set and Top/Heavy FIM now or separate the actions by a few days.

Still a bit of lack of nutes damage to #2WWA, but removal may not be necessary right now.
Question #2: Time to Top or should I FIM instead?

Northern Lights Auto is still struggling, but it’s a week or more, behind the WWS’s. Just a pic for reference.

2 Likes

I am still new and learning but If I am going to top, I will do it early. I would probably try to get in there and top the very tip ( I mean separate the newest leaves and get the tiny new growth ) just on the first two. #3 is still too small.

1 Like

I always suggest a FIM at the 4th/5th node.

The leaf is mostly green so I would leave it for a while. It will fall off when ready, or get to the point you know it’s worth ripping off.

Thanks Nicky. I’ll leave the leaves until it’s apparent when…
#1WWA is already above 4th node. And since it could use some “side-growth” I was going to Top it.
#2WWA is near to the same, but about 5 days behind, and not in as much need of side-growth as #1, so I was going to FIM her.
@HMGRWN …yep - too small yet. Thanks!

1 Like

Yeah agree, let them get a little more size. I am late to the party. To many hrs at work. Sorry :wink:

I personally like topping

1 Like

I always FIM too much and end up topped. Lol

3 Likes

XD i just keep topping to the next knot

Me personally ever since I found these I’ve been using them as soon as they fit and it works wonders

1 Like

Just ordered some, hopefully I can use them properly

Got some Jacks parts A and B and cal mag while I was there

The shit is getting real now!

1 Like