When to start Training

Hey all, so I’m a first time grower and my 3 plants are just over five weeks old. Nutrients once a week, water every 72 to 80 hours, 18/6 light, and coco coir / worm casting soil.
My question is about training once in vegetated stage. What method should I use and when do I start? I’d like to get the best yield possible from these autos. I truly appreciate any opinions. Cheers

1 Like

I start with HST high stress training by topping the plant. I usually wait for the seventh node to appear and make my cut between the fourth and fifth node. This leaves enough plant material to use the cutting for a clone.
After the plant forms some good side branching I will use LST low stress training to form an even canopy before flowering. By bending the branches lightly you can also deploy a trellis to bend branches horizontally to help form your plant. This will also allow you to level your canopy for better light use.
Make note that your plant will stretch after it starts flowering. I try and leave 24 inches for this stretch. I like to have my plant finish around 10 inches from light fixture. Not always the case and your can deploy a second trellis if your get lots of stretch to even things out.
Here’s a link with more information.

3 Likes

Thank you for the information. Your article was very good and useful for sure.

1 Like