When to change HPS and MH 1000 watt bulbs

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how you figure out when to change your metal halide and HPS bulbs? According to the manufacturer of the bulbs I’m currently using, digilux, and per advice from The Forum, I’ve learned that MH should be changed every year and a half and HPS every two years. I’d like to make sure I’m getting the most out of my bulbs and not throwing them away too soon but at the same time not sacrificing any quality of my grow…
I was wondering if all you good members figure out when to dispose of a bulb either by a general date from when you started to use it until a year-and-a-half (or 2 yrs) later from when the bulb was first screwed in? Or do you all actually figure out the hours the bulb was in use and then calculate that into days and then once your actual usage in days equals a year and a half (547 days) or two years (730 days), then do you discard the bulb?
I’m sorry if this question was unclear. I tried to explain my thought process on this as best I could. Thank you for your help and time everyone. I appreciate the advice. Getting ready for my next grow and I don’t know if I should change my bulbs for new ones.
Have a nice morning.

2 Likes

I’d be less concerned with the mh bulb as the amount of light required to veg nicely isn’t as demanding. It also seems that the firing and cooling process is harder on bulbs than actual run time. So just because you may be running your mh for more hours per day, the amount of days running can be just as important.

When I grew with hid I changed my hps bulb every other grow. And had 4 veg cycles on my mh bulb before changing it.

2 Likes

I use two of the 1000 watt Super HPS which are strictly for flowering and it’s been just about a year of use for them. That would be 12 hr days and some short periods of being down, maybe a month. The bulb comes with a one year warranty from the day of purchase and they don’t care if you use them or not. I haven’t noticed any difference in brightness yet but the only way to tell would be to get a new bulb and compare the two. My current grow is showing no signs of slowing down so I’ll keep using them until I actually see something. Only time will tell now.

3 Likes

@dbrn32 @NTMAREMACH
Thanks for both of you taking the time to reply. I appreciate that. Yeah I’m kind of trying to figure out a good time to replace bulbs without jumping the gun and wasting money I guess? Thank you for your help. I appreciate it. I think what I’ll do is save up some money and maybe get one of those light meters or something that can help tell me if I’m losing strength in my light etc.
Thank you for the help and time.

3 Likes

@neckNflu hey there mate, what I do and go by and it’s my own personal opinion is I use the Mh for up 18 months and the HPS for 12 months just the way I go mate but it makes me feel better just knowing everything is going OK. What do you plan for your next grow?

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate that. Yeah I think I am going to switch my bulbs out rather be safe than sorry. Like you said I could be sitting there thinking about and doubting if I should have switched the bulbs in the first place. I think I’d rather switch them then worry about it for 3 months. When I do get everything turned around and started I’m going to start my first grow Journal. I’m stuck with one room to do my flower and veg in. So once this flowers done I’m going to clean it up and change my bulbs and turn it around!
Have a nice morning. And thanks for taking the time to respond

1 Like

Your welcome @neckNflu that is exactly how I would be thinking also lol, I’m glad to off helped, have you thought about doing a Scorg next time could be very interesting Im head that way myself next time.

1 Like

You know I am really interested in that scrog technique. I’ll admit that it looks like that you can really get some buds and bud sites opened up to the light real nicely. I usually use photo plants and I have a little area in a storage room that I use. It’s a good size but I don’t use all of it since I just have 1,000 watt light ( and part of the deal was that I don’t take over the basement).haha. So I usually do between four and six plants. I usually do topping and fimming and low-stress training. Those three I seem to do okay with. The filming I’m yet to get four sites to pop up I maybe have once but that was it. So I have work to do on that.
I recall reading some of your posts but I don’t remember what do you do do you use a scrog now or is that what you’re going to be doing for sure? Thanks

1 Like

Yes I’m intending to go for it next time which we’ll be soon I’m just finished up yesterday so it’s all decisions at the moment… I think it will be the Scrog and the LEC 630 Watts.

1 Like

That’s cool. If you don’t mind when you get it all set up and going I may stop in and check out your grow if you post anything? That sounds like you’re getting a nice setup for the next grow. I’m kind of in the same boat as you right now. I’m getting ready to start another one soon and I’m kind of figuring out what I need to do. Or what I should do. Good luck. I hope all your stuff turns out the way you want.

1 Like

Thank you for your support and off I will tag you in because I also intend on doing a grow journal and don’t forget me also when you are up and running :v:

1 Like

Here’s some pictures I just took. I have two of the 1000 watt Super HPS bulbs running with two 4" inline fans cooling the lights. I may get more life from the bulbs by keeping them cooler then only having one fan running. These plants are on day 13 of bloom and you can see the HPS bulbs really make some huge cola’s. I do want to look into getting a meter though and I will pick up a couple of spare bulbs as I can see them both going at the same time.

2 Likes

They look excellent just class well done for sure love seeing that buds everywhere lol :joy:. :v:

1 Like

I’ll tag you for sure. I’m going to need all the help I can get. Ha

1 Like

Thank you for sharing. Those look incredible. I’m going to have to get a meter myself and check my bulbs to learn how long they last and when the correct time is to change them. I don’t know if it’s par or power or what but when that starts to decline then I’d like to replace them.
Once I can sit down and really do some research I got to learn about the electrical side of all of this. I do not understand that aspect at all.
Enjoy your grow everyone have a nice morning.

2 Likes

I would love to be able to help you with anything @neckNflu but I don’t think that you will need it I’m more than happy to just tag along buddy. :v::v:

1 Like

For sure you’re welcome to come along and check it out! You’ll be surprised. I think of a lot of weird questions and/or things that I think about while I’m in my grow room. You never know you might have an answer for some of them.
Thanks.

2 Likes