When to call it quits

Okay, so how long before giving up on a germination that just won’t happen? What’s the longest you’ve waited for germination in a particular strain?

1 Like

5-7 days. Please share your germinating process.

I usually soak in a small dish(1/2 cup) with a spritz of peroxide… (idk, maybe half a teaspoon?) for 24 hours in a warm, dark place. After 24 hours regardless of what the seed looks like i plant. Keep moist. I use a heat mat and zero light until it breaks soil. Germination rate 100%

2 Likes

I follow Robert Bergman’s method of luke warm water in a cup inside of some dark space for 72 hours. The thing for me is stored seeds. The method works, but when using stored seeds, like in a fridge or freezer, the game changes.

1 Like

If it’s in a “stored” contained you have to be sure it’s virtually 0 humidity in that container. Any sort of moisture is surely going to compromise your seeds… or atleast the longevity… I would never buy seed with the intention of storing because that whole method is very temperamental and not guaranteed.

And I have to say, max time a seed should spend is water is 72 hours. I wouldn’t push that long. As I said, 24 hours and transfer to soil, which should be warm.

3 Likes

Yeah, out of five one sprouted. Three germinated but possibly died. I have them in zip lock baggies with rice.

1 Like

I also just had them in water for 72 hours and then dropped them in soil. One sprouted out

1 Like

Ok, how long have you had them from the time they germinated? If it’s recent, you may be able to reach out to ilgm seedbank staff. (The forum isn’t tied.) They have a good response rate to “duds,” and generally replace.

However if you purchased,
let’s say 20 seeds, and, waited a year… then idk. I’m confused actually. Before a year you don’t need to look into refrigeration methods.

Editing** lol, drunk

2 Likes

No. Thank you for the insight.

1 Like

If I don’t see anything by 5 days in the medium I’ll do a gentle brush aside to see what’s happening I also wouldn’t soak for more then 48 hours I’ve seen people drown their seeds

4 Likes

I use wet paper towel inside of ziplock bag with some air trapped in, then toss on top of my cable box. Most will have tails in 3-5 days. If they don’t crack within 7 days I toss them.

5 Likes

I soak for 24 hours then direct plant have got really good results pretty much 100% they’re usually all pop within 4 days, saw a new video recently from Green jeans where he calls it the full float method he puts the seeds in the cup of water and let them float does not touch them to get them to sink then in about 3 days they have pretty long tap roots top of the seed is above the water to get air bottom of the seed is in the cup to get water look pretty good he had 100% germination with two three inch taproots just thought I would share

2 Likes

Follow a dude who is growing a seed that had been in a bag for 40 yrs, outside.

3 Likes