When the sun is really strong it burned my baby plants

A customer has a question and I hope we can get some opinions on it, thanks

I am learning how to grow it i have a pretty good back yard where i can grow but my problem is when the sun is really strong it burned my baby plants i started again with just one but now im skeptical about when to take it outside again

You should consider putting your plants outside for an hour or two in the shade for a couple of days then slowly introduce the plant to direct sunlight. If you just put them in direct sunlight they will burn every time. It’s getting a bit late in the season for photo plants. Might want to consider planting an autoflower. Depending on where you live the outdoor season is growing short.

1 Like

I started 5 WW Autoflowering in Solo cups outdoors in a shaded area. Took off the domes and put them in the sun for a few hours yesterday to get them ready for direct light. Best of luck on your grow.

2 Likes

Might try putting a small shade over the babies until they get bigger. A small shade would keep them out of the hottest part of the day.

Yes find a place without direct sun and place them in it for a week slowly introducing them to the intense sun mabey after day 2 or 3 of indirect light then put them in good direct sun for a couple of hrs each day increase this time a little and by the end of the week they should be acclimated to go into full sun all day. And it may be wise to get a shade cloth for when the sun is at its most intense heat just incase they do start to wilt in the sun

3 Likes

If you use clear cups, you can see the roots progress. I transplant once the root growth looks like a spider web. Pipe cleaners loosely looped around the seedlings is a regular part of my growing plan. When they get bigger, I support the plant with tomato stakes to help the ladies grow goodies instead of roots n stalk. A increasing exposure is a good idea. Going from comfy indoors to bright hot summer is a killer. after they are about 8" tall, they shouldn’t have a problem…and, the days will be shorter and cooler.
Suggest you plan on starting indoors next year…early. Then moving outdoors when warm enough.
Best Wishes

1 Like