When should my plants be topped and grow into a scrog net

First time grower trying to learn. When should I top and have a scrog net for my plants to grow into?

2 Likes

Because I’m using 15 gallon pots I think I have a little time but I’m concerned about my grow space and I’ve learned that plants will grow 2 to 3 times there size during the first 3 weeks of flowering.

3 Likes

I’m currently at 1 month old

2 Likes

Sorry 1 month and a week just looked at my calendar

2 Likes

I usually top at the 5th or six node
But your plants looks big enough to too now if you would like too

2 Likes

What up growmie i useally top at node 5 indoors n put up a trillis up around 2-3 weeks till flower so u still have some time to train. Im learning everyday!!

4 Likes

What size is it?
Why such large pots? That large of pot usually mean growing massive plants. But that is inconsistent with your concern. Or, are the large pots used to decrease watering frequency or avoid runoff?
I see a couple of issues and or have other questions.
What is the grow medium? Soil? Be specific.
What are the pots siting in? Plan on using it throughout the grow? Purpose?
If is to catch runoff off? Runoff needs to be drained and not allowed to sit in the tray.
Pots are usually elevated so they don’t have wet feet?

3 Likes

The pots are in a bathtub because the spare bathroom had existing exhaust I also have an air purifier running. I’m using fox farm soil and nutrients. I wanted to go big because it’s only legal to have two mature plants in my state. I’m a first timer so I had no idea how big plants can get in a 15 gallon pot. Do you think my grow space is adequate for two plants?

2 Likes

Welcome Your plants look great ! I’m with @Sincitytoker 6 nodes top will work fine. Inside grow 7 gallon fabric pot is plenty. Also for better drainage you need a riser under the bottom of the pot. I use a couple 14 inch Pieces of PVC under each pot. Happy growing. :v:

3 Likes

Are they autos or photoperiod plants

1 Like

As it is said “Been there, done that”

This is from earlier. We have an unused bathroom and decided to put it to use. I built a flimsy PVC frame for the light, reinforced it with furring strips and I was in business.

It was in a 5 gallon bucket and this plant stayed relatively small.
This is her sister. Also in the spare bathroom. She was grown using a spring pot autopot system and she was 2x the size.

Both plants were grown using mainline / manifold form. Grow to 5-6 nodes, top above 3rd node

@Tezza2 asked an important question Auto or Photo?
My plants are photos so the type and amount of topping and training depends on the type of plant

1 Like

Cannabis has never killed a man. But trellis… trellis can take out an entire crew. Lol for real!
You toss that trellis on when ever you feel the time is right. (Dont wait to long) you can do many levels of trellis and there is not 100% correct way to do it. As long as it is supporting the plant you are on the right path.

This greenhouse has gottin alittle crazy. Had to run a few tripples. Ugly yes but the flowers will thank us.

Happy growing…

5 Likes

Thanks so much for the riser idea I have definitely been having problems with water you all are awesome.

They are photo period

Good to know. One simple pruning and training method that may interest you is what is called Quadline.
Let the plant grow to 5-6 nodes. Top above the 3rd. In a typical manifold all of the growth points below the 3rd node are removed. In a Quad, only the bottom most growth points are removed. This leaves two branches from the 2nd node and the two new main stems created when she was topped. Let these branches & stems grow out 3 nodes then top each after the 3rd node. Remove all interior growth points. Leave the leaves.
I believe @Work4iT used this method and you can see the results at Here we GrOw Again (ILGM- Wedding Cake Autos)

3 Likes

@beardless when you get a chance could you track down a photo what the style you are talking about. Im interested to see what you are saying.
I think I see what you are saying just not %100 sure.
Happy growing…

@HippieRunner this is @Underthestairs the handy work

This is my artistic skills put to the test. My wife is the artist, I am not.

5 Likes

The quadline is my favorite. I removed nodes 1 and 2, kept 3 and 4, and just like @beardless said top at the 3rd. I then removed the middle node completely, and kept only the right side of each first node.

I wanted those 4 interior colas to fill what’s normally a large hole in the middle of traditional mainlines.

Impressive digital drawing beardless!

3 Likes

I quickly reached my limit. that is one nice looking plant. Both in structure and health. Beauty. She looks like the twelve days Christmas. I know what you mean about the center. There always seems to be an extra bud that comes through the pruning. I’ll bend them back toward the center.

2 Likes

Yep, I’ve been and sometimes still am a bathtub grower too!!!

2 Likes