When do I know when my buds are done growing?

This is my first time doing a pretty big grow. I have all of my plants budding, I was just looking for some advice when I know they’re ready to be chopped and dried. Also I was told that when they are done I’m supposed to keep them in the dark for two full days then chop them down. I was hoping for some advice because I’m definitely getting towards the end. But I would appreciate anything to help me with a great harvest.

1 Like

Not so fast, you are actually a ways off (at least a month but I’d say more probably

The signs of being done include

All the white hairs (pistils) will brown and turn inward

The buds will stack and bulk up considerably

The crystals (trichomes) on the buds will form and go from clear, to milky white, then to amber

You won’t want to chop until 10-20% of the trichomes are amber

So as you can tell from all your white pistils sticking up you have a bit of a wait on your hands

Congratulations though on getting this far. So many don’t make it past the seedlings stage

2 Likes

Ditto!!!

Hey thanks for the help I really appreciate it. My buddy said I’m supposed to keep them in the dark for two days when they are officially done? Is that completely true or no?

Yeah that’s a thing

Something about the cloraphyll and sugars and blah blah blah

I don’t know the science behind it but your buddy is right about that

I’m sure others who know more can explain it better

Your plants are a little over 3 weeks into flower. You have about another 6 weeks to go give or take. Same as me.

1 Like

Another point on prepping your plants for harvest is to Flush them before you subject them to the Blackout period of 24-48 hours.

“ Timing Is Key: When To Flush Your Plants

Along with using the right flushing agent, you need to ensure you’re flushing at the right time in order to reap the maximum benefits of flushing. Use the following as guidelines for flushing prior to harvest:

• If you’re growing in soil, begin flushing between one and two weeks before harvest.
  • If you’re growing in coco, flush your plants for up to one week prior to harvest.
  • If you’re growing in hydro, your plants only need to be flushed for one to two days.”
1 Like

Agree 100%.

Relax, you’ve got a bit. Watch this.

You’re gonna hear a lot about the “best” way to grow weed from people who heard about the “best” way to grow weed. There is no right way. What works for me, may not work for you. I might do something that would make your daddy disown you if you did it. Such is life.

But I digress. I don’t put my plant in extended darkness before harvest. I do harvest my plant before sunrise (if they’re outside) and before the light comes on (if they’re in a tent with other plants).

I don’t “flush” my plant before harvest because I’m not feeding my plant, I’m feeding my soil and I stop feeding the soil a month (or better) before harvest.

I feed at half strength. I don’t push the nutrients to the point of nute burn. I don’t believe the plant needs this type of “boost”. I can get better trichome production by strategically damaging the plant. I keep my plants both hungry and thirsty. I do alright.

I defoliate. Not just a little, but like a whole lot. All the time. I can’t seem to help myself, but my plants love it.

Karla loves it when I give her flowers

Your plant looks great. Finer than frog hair. Happy growing

3 Likes

As you can tell by those buds, he clearly has no idea what he’s talking about
:joy:

You right, there are plenty of ways to grow. Here is how I do it.

Here’s a specimen from my last grow using…
ILGM Cherry Pie

1 Like