What's Your (Other) Hobby?

I’ve got Savage BA110’s in .338 Lapua mag and 6.5 Creedmoor. They are both great calibers. The Savage BA 110 is a great budget rifle. I’m running Vortex Vipers on both rifles.

I’ve shot the .338 out to a mile. I’ve only had the 6.5 Creedmoor out to 1,100 yards. It’s really hard to see a bullet splash on the 6.5 at a mile. The round is just too small.

I have a ton of fun shooting them and love long distance shooting as a sport.

2 Likes

Well that model Sharps was used for the first time by the American long range rifle team at Wimbledon in 1875 to win the World Championship shooting against the Irish team. 1,000 yard.

I bought a Cooper Model 52 Excalibur a few years back: 340 Weatherby Magnum which is between 100 and 200 fps faster than the Lapua round (brass is cheaper too). This gun shoots 1/4" groups and from personal experience know it will shoot clean through a bison at 200 yards.

3 Likes

I unfortunately have a slight felony on my record so guns are out for me now, but one of the most fun things I’ve ever done was shooting clay pigeons with a Remington 12 pump and even though it is “a girl gun” (not my assessment, my wife’s at the time…her shottys) my favorite was her 20 gauge simi auto(?) could fire repeatedly without cocking or pump action

I know I can still fire a muzzle loader legally or an air rifle but I do wish I could still shoot real guns

Price you pay for foolish mistakes I suppose

Now I just shoot finger guns, pew pew :point_right:

1 Like

Hello,
Just got a new trust level and seen this!!
That’s a nice bull @Myfriendis410 and cow @Mr_Wormwood.
So thought I’d share my hobby. Muzzleloader,
Mainly Flintlock.
But here’s the flash in the pan!!

4 Likes

Nice photo! Have yet to get a muzzle loader , been on the list for years, just got my new ladies last weekend after a 5 year plan ( a lot of law changes happened in that time)

3 Likes

@Leholf
I’m ex military and know that is some kinda M-16 style “Assault” gun.
But what really stands out in this pic, that no one other then the responsible will notice. Is this little thing circled. And holy $hit that’s bad ass.

Here’s my flintlock

3 Likes

Wish you could see the video but this is a playing card split at 15yrds off hand.

1 Like

Wow that’s stunning!!! Is that a CZ below?
There both Hammerli tac r1s with upgrades where I could to still be legal , both 22lr ( my favourite round) and thanks , firearms safety is the biggest bit of firearm ownership and the factory flag that also acts as a snap cap is a nice little feature. Range orders require bolt open however and that can be a drama unless done in a particular order. In the range of AR 22lr platforms available in NZ the tacs arnt as realistic I could have gotten, both the Kris and the tippman are in terms of furniture fits , neither have a wind down/up bolt to allow for proper subsonic loads and fine tuning with empty mag hold open. I had been building a Bushmaster patrol persons A3 in 223 , it arrived in county the day that prick shot up those poor folk in chch. After the buy back scheme I put the 223 money into the 22lr project. I’m happy with them definitely no buyers regret:) wife just sees a bathroom reno ( that I’d have to do )

The one under the flint is a .308 model 788.
Bought it when I was 15. Imagine that nowadays. And it will reach out and touch you.
The other is a Ruger 10/22 semi.
But CZ… you have one? Damn they are tack drivers.

Damn good eyes. On the CZ thought that was me .308 but it was the CZ

1 Like

Nice!! No I don’t have one , thought yours were , there all beautiful . Ahh so it is a Cz ? In what ? Gunna guess 22mag?

1 Like

Anyone hunt these while your out in the woods?

4 Likes

That’s one nice looking stick

Sort of. As a trail runner and hiker I rely greatly on my sticks. I grew where we hiked in New Mexico a lot, my home state, and making your own hiking stick each summer was a Big Deal. What I wouldn’t give to have kept them. Wonder where they went? I left a Leki pole out at Palo Duro Canyon recently. Some lucky bastard is happy right now.

Right now it seems my hobby is growing mushrooms, growing really, really good cannabis, and body building (hard coming off endurance career but easier on this old 56 year old body. No more ultra marathon training for me and I could not be happier!

9 Likes

Looks like you’ve done a bit of bodybuilding in your time?

3 Likes

Yes! I was a professional athlete and the gym was used to build up my knees and core then I got to really enjoying it. Spent my life as an athlete, so I have that advantage when it comes to getting in shape. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I was a bodybuilder throughout my 30s and 40s (I’m 60 now.) It’s become easy to recognize those who have put in a lot of effort. Easy to pick out the developed traps and delts. One sure sign of a good bodybuilder is pulled back shoulders with a developed chest. It says that the rear delts are also well developed and that a lot of thought has been put into the overall package. Many neglect their rear delts to their detriment.

A lot of folks believe that bodybuilders are dumb oafs. Nothing could be further from the truth. It takes a good bit of intelligence (and some genetics) to have the discipline and smarts to develop a proportionate body.

3 Likes

You are 100% correct. I work very hard two to three times a week in the gym and my focus is perfect form. If I can’t do it with perfect then the weight is too much. It has taken me nearly three years but I can now do three sets of six on the bicep pull up and 3 sets of 4 on wide arm pull up each no assist but it has taken loads of hard work to do that. Triceps dip unassist I have done for awhile. I spend a good 30 minutes in the squat rack. I never dreamed at 56 I would be in better shape than when I competed back in 20s. And yes, a huge problem I had was shoulders curling inward and slouching but back work and rear delt work has corrected that. Also my right knee was weak and that has been corrected. It is amazing the strength I gained. I may have been able to run all day but I didn’t have muscle strength. I need to get back into the pool and do laps but my hair is colored purple, teal, and blue highlights and I don’t want mess it up. Because I am still a girl at heart.

Hey, you are same age as Wolf. He lifts. Not as intense as I do. But he looks at least 20 years younger for the efforts. Right now our biggest problem is calories. We cannot eat enough and neither of us has an appetite what so ever. We either had a very mild case of COVID as we can’t hardly smell or taste or the second Moderna vaccination, which was rough, really amped up our immune system against this crap. Who knows? But literally choking down food. And you right, if you truly are going to succeed at body building or any other competitive sport, it not only takes physical ability but the mental part is the where the real stuff is. As I got older I got mentally tougher and although the younger athletes could initially out run me, they never could hang to the finish line as they got beat mentally by the distance or the heat or the sheer audacity and insanity of what we were attempting to do. Us older folk knows nothing lasts forever and it won’t likely kill ya so keep moving forward. It takes some intelligence to survive a 30-100 mile trail run and live to tell about it. Lol

2 Likes

Nice ! When I was an arborist had a work mate who over the period of about a decade use to collect potential walking sticks , use to drive me mental lol so many times I’d be feeding the chipper and Brian would come rushing up asking where his sticks where lol I’d point to the back of the truck and say mulch bro, that dude has hundreds upon hundreds in barrels just waiting for him to start whittlin away for his retirement fund . To this day he is still collecting and annoying other arbos with his collections of tree stuff knocking around the tool cabs of there trucks lol love that guy !

3 Likes

He must be a brother from another mother! We have had to replace 19 pine trees, take down a fair sized elm and there is a dying maple that will be turned into an art explosion tree house resembling a pirate ship. Hard to explain but it has a main trunk that will be the mast and two side trunks perfect for the jib, etc. the ‘sails’ will be part of a shade system and the tree platform will the ship deck with hammocks below etc. but we are using all the trunks etc of the trees for garden edging and then the limbs for making trellises and the needles for mulch then we will rent a chipper for the rest of the stuff for mulch. Yeah, I could collect a ton of stick with this. I can take a photo tomorrow of the accumulating wood pile. Lol

1 Like

Lol nice ! You had me at pirate mast!! I had a plan for one here but apparently I’m not 13 anymore? Yea definitely show us the photos! Old Brian would be all over that for free lol salt of the earth chap and an award winning beard lol . I don’t keep much stuff anymore, still do a bit of fletching with the mill if the client is willing to pay the price , heck I try to avoid tree work as much as possible these days unless it’s ground work , get terrible bouts of vertigo an lock up , use to be cool just hanging by the thread, now the thought of a lock up freaks me out way to much and the shame of being rescued by the fire department would never be lived down :slight_smile: lucky for me I’m a bloody excellent stump grinder

1 Like