What's Your (Other) Hobby?

Glad to hear you got to spend time with your boys and , twins to boot. lol.
They enjoyed hunting with you , especially spending time with dad even, when they make mistakes ( the same ones we made lol). Especially, as you did, make them acceptable. They are making their own stories for the campfire :fire: later in life. I believe the most valuable time spent with my daughter and son was in the woods tracking/hunting or just hanging when things got too boring even for dad. I got to go hunting last Saturday. I saw a few doe ,a couple first yr cubs and a calico spike which I missed with my 1864 navy revolver replica. Ditto on the holidays , keep family close.

2 Likes

excellent work. I used to paint miniatures back in the eighties…havent done it in forever. would even use a single bristle so I could paint the blood vessels in their eyes.
I have been considering taking it up again…time just flies

1 Like

I love painting them and enjoy the feeing when people love them. I paint professionally nearly full time.

2 Likes

Very nice work ! I couldn’t do that type of work any more, too much shaking. My hands shaking was one of the reasons I had to slow down on suturing. Finally let the younger PA’s do all the suturing. Kinda missed it, was almost a separate specialty for me.

Hope you have a Merry Christmas and and a Happy New Year.

Jerry :us: :man_farmer:

2 Likes

My favorite things to do are fishing mainly in salt water out of San Diego

and going to Baja for fishing and camping on the beach ![IMG_20181013_194838|375x500] (upload://ioOEap5Jzn00rvKmBic3BVXOyR0.jpeg)

5 Likes

Another one of my favorite things to do is pet whales in Baja at Ojo de Liebre
This mother and calf came up to our boat and stayed about an hour 20170315_11394320170315_113611

6 Likes

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, he’ll spend the rest of his life on the beach getting drunk. :call_me_hand:

6 Likes

and telling huge fish stories!

5 Likes

Hi Growers and friends ! Just got back from 8 hours in the woods with bow and arrow. About froze to death. 19 degrees and wind with some snow. Had several deer walking around the compound but none were in the mood for arguing with my bow. I waited until I could not see to shoot and walked out. Ran into a 10 pointer that was just outside my range after dark. Oh well, maybe next year. Still got some deer meat left for the summer.

We just put out some new cameras for next year and we have a LOT more bucks in the area than anyone thought. Take care! gotta get some sleep !

6 Likes

Hi @plumbdandj NICE BLUEFIN bro! I live in North County and fish on my little skiff out of Oside mostly.

Flatties%20ILGM

Cheers!

6 Likes

finally i can comment on this nice catch!

1 Like

thanks
My wife caught this one same trip mine was jackpot fish both fish we’re over 200lbs

7 Likes

Wow, This would of been me.

4 Likes

@DaGoose that’s some nice fish you got there I’m buying a new boat at the end of the month but it won’t be ready until mid March
I live in Az. I’ll be taking it to California in June and July

2 Likes

@plumbdand congrats on the new boat!! I actually have 2, the 17 ft old skiff and a 24 skipjack flybridge that just sits in my driveway now. I’m slowing down a bit as I get older. We did some crazy stuff in little boats back in the day and caught heaps of fish. Got lucky and didn’t die doing it…like a 400lb + tshark that we tied the tail off on the bow and the head was back under the transom :sunglasses:

Congrats to your wife on that bluefin. That’s an arse kicker for sure! Her smile says it all!!!

I just got a new Master Built Smoker and we use Tanga Tanga and Mango wood. For new-years we smoke short ribs and a fresh marlin loin.

2 Likes

We play a game of frugality here in Freedom, ME
Our own spuds, onions, carrots and squash hanging on as long as possible in the bulkhead from the cellar to outside. Each fall I line it with 2" thick rigid closed cell foam panels to convert it into a root cellar. As you can see it maintains a temp range somewhere between just above freezing up to about 45º. It never freezes, but occasionally rises above 45º for brief times. By that time of the year most of the stuff has either been consumed or has been dehydrated or cooked and frozen for later use.

We haven’t purchased tomatoes, dry beans, spuds, onions, garlic, carrots, or winter squash since all of last years stuff got used up. There are pounds and pounds of cauliflower, corn, hot and sweet peppers, turnip, parsnip, kale chard and suiho in the chest freezer as well.

9 Likes

Here is a photo I took at the Kruger National Park, South Africa March 2019. She was less than 30 feet from us.

I have a ton of hobbies since I retired when I was 33 back in May 2006. Traveling and photos is two things I really enjoy. Also translating Russian to English, Dutch to English and Czech to English.

9 Likes

WOW!!! The passion, knowledge and talent in this thread is amazing. My other hobby is my first love, ice hockey( goalie), I play 4+ times a week from Oct- Mar.

4 Likes

I make knives.

16 Likes