What's Your (Other) Hobby?

Good luck in the trips to come @TxGrowman

2 Likes

I am new to the forum and this is my first entry. Still a lot of browsing. Your work on Frankenstein’s Monster is fantastic! Love your other work too. Thanks for letting me post. :+1:t3:

2 Likes

Welcome @Greendream!
You’re gonna like it here…
Join the conversation in the “Morning Garden” scroll to the bottom for most recent posts.

https://ilgmforum.com/t/thoughts-from-the-morning-garden-chapter-3-the-saga-continues/17059?u=willd

2 Likes

All Right ! I called in the six point from last week again and my friend shot him yesterday. I called in an 8 point for my son to blast with his 300 Win Mag today. Couldn’t believe he hit him mid chest through both lungs and he still ran 120 yards before dying. These deer are tough animals to bring down sometimes. The hit on him seems like he should have gone down in 10-20 yards. There was massive damage to his lungs. Just glad we have some fresh meat for the freezer. All together we should get 100 lbs a piece for the weekend. I love deer hunting !

Guess I am going to be traveling to Australia in the spring (Autumn there) for a while. Will be exciting, have never been there. Might start my plants now, have to plan it out. Gotta get it done before the trip. May change my strain, don’t need to be sleeping the whole time I’m on vacation. Going to visit my wife’s friends there.

Gotta go. Good luck with your grows. Jerry :us: :sunglasses: :man_farmer:

7 Likes

I remember when the "Morning Garden’ was started several years ago I believe ! Has been a great post.

1 Like

2005 XLC last of the factory carbs.

Linda reminds me of JGB Cats out Under the Stars

1 Like

I love the album cover too

Here’s one of the things I’ve been up to besides growing. I’ve been experimenting on making some games using marbles. The game I use to play as a kid was Aggravation. We played on a homemade board made by a family member long ago. I’ve made a few prototypes and have changed things along the way as I’d figure out the best way to do it. My biggest problems was the holes since I was using a common drill bit. The second was I couldn’t do the center hole with the drill press because I couldn’t reach it by almost four inches. I’d have to try and do the center hole by hand which didn’t turn out very well.
I solved both problems by first ordering a 5/8" round nose router bit which works great. My second problem was solved by buying a 12" long piece of two and a half inch black iron pipe and a flange to screw in onto. I knew the outside dia. of the pipe I was buying would be very close to the size of the drill press pipe. I used a sanding grinder to take off about fifteen thousands off the pipe to fit into the drill press. It wasn’t easy to remove the drill press from the stand but luckily I had everything needed to finish. Here are some pictures of my latest hobby.

Some of the supplies needed for this job.

Getting a measurement on the original pipe.
The inside dia. of the drill press.

After sanding the amount needed.

Now I’m able to drill that darn center hole.

Totally adjustable too.

What I’m trying to make to give out for Christmas as there isn’t enough family fun time anymore.

8 Likes

this is what I enjoy doing in my free time I love it I can cruise just as fast as I want with no problems

3 Likes

5 Likes

Hello,…New guy here.
I pick on one of these for fun.

6 Likes

I really want to learn banjo!

2 Likes

I was like 50 when I started…You should do it!

2 Likes

Hunting is another passion. Walk and stalk Blackbear. 630lb at 12ft with a 44magnum. I eat the meat and use everything from my kill. I find myself watching animals more than hunting them. I ride a Harley and shoot competition and have been to war but nothing , and I mean nothing can put that pucker factor above a 9 but a black bear that is 10X stronger and can cover 50ft in a second that just happens to be climbing the tree your watching him from. :+1:t4::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. I’m not enthusiastic abt hunters using dogs on deer or bear and sitting in their trucks by the road waiting for the dogs to chase the creature into the open, where 5-10 ppl open up on it and by the way miss more often than not lol. I like to go into their house and play not smoke em out where’s the hunt in that ? Green grass and high tides

3 Likes

Awesome ! I have never hunted black bears but did kill one when I was 19 or 20. We were hunting for pheasants and unknowingly separated mom from cubs and all hell broke loose. She was charging at three of us and we just started shooting. There was a total of 6 of us in the party shot at her. We got her down and called the Game Warden. He allowed us to keep the bear and split it among the 6 of us. Good times hunting. Great BBQ also ! !

Definitely agree about dog hunting for bears. It doesn’t seem like a sport that way. Guess it is all in how you grew up.

I take it you are a bow hunter? That is exactly what I love to do and a bow just seems like the most fun and sporting way for me.

Jerry :us: :man_farmer:

3 Likes

I’ll bet that took the ole pucker factor up a notch eh bro ? Darn that’s a bad place to be. Between mom and her babes. yep I grew up hunting fishing and very appreciative of nature and all things therein. Yes I used a recurve bow as a youngster , similiar to a Mongolian horse bow. Years of abuse on my hands has now brought me to crossbows. I have a Parker hurricane just got as an early gift from my darln. I actually videoed that bear coming up the tree and momma right behind it on my old quantico cell. I was tugging hard for my 44 but forgot to unstrap it lmao ( not then of course ha). The cub realized he was as screwed as I was and let out a yell that sounded like a Banshee in full heat lol and jumped right on momma and they both took off but not before mom stomped her front paws at me and shook her head a bit. I let the biggest buck I’ve ever stalked walk away this year. I figured as I believe he did that I beat him at his game in his woods and as I get older that was enough victory for me. Shot a nice doe a little later ha . Y’all got whitetail galore by way of Texas . You ever light one up in the woods ? It’s like the piedpiper they smell it they will come lol. Never fails.

1 Like

I had a Shakespeare X-18 Recurve as my first bow and killed a 12 pointer the first year I used it. I did not change to compound until about 5 years later and got a Jennings T-Star II. Killed many a deer with that in the next 8-10 years and now have a new compound that is a nice bow. I have hunted with guns also but prefer to hunt alone with bow and rifles. So much more fun in the woods alone and you see a lot more of the wildlife in their natural environment. Never tried lighting one up while hunting. Have to try that next year.

Take care and happy hunting. Jerry :us: :man_farmer:

1 Like

@Zsitchin How’s it going ? Got out last week once and nearly got a shot at a nice 10 pointer but he went up the left trail instead of right and my son got a shot but missed. He admitted that he was shaking and all the drills I showed him helped a little but he still missed. Can’t be that tough on him, it was the FIRST time he ever hunted with a bow ! Was just pleased as hell that he decided to hunt bow after he went with me in October. Just hunting with him was treat enough, love spending time hunting with both of my twin boys.

Hope you have a wonderful holiday season filled with joy and good cheer. Jerry :man_farmer::us::us:

2 Likes

Painted up some Viking Pagans just in time for the Jol Festival.

6 Likes