What's Your (Other) Hobby?

There were 1-2’ swells & light wind so it was a piece of cake & highly enjoyable. Pretty flat really. We saw a few sailers & crossed courses with a nice couple in sea kayaks looking all geared up to maybe navigate the Bay of Fundy or something.

My other stress reliever, my ‘04 Ultra Classic. Put 125 mi on her yesterday and today. Felt great to get out and ride after nearly a year of non-riding ! Those of us with bikes know what I mean - that indescribable freedom of the road. @garrigan65, how’s it going brother ? Going through your area in about 60 days, headin’ north for 45th HS reunion. Maybe we can visit ?

Have a great day everyone ! :sunglasses::us::man_farmer:

Nice easy fix for the L8!

So the PTO wasn’t staying engaged during use.
This one mostly runs the 30 inch rotary brush hog to mow deep grass, saplings,and all kinds of overgrowth around the tree line, in the raspberry patch and anywhere too narrow or uneven for the 5660 or 18G.
Anyway all of my tractor forum research told me that I was going to disassemble and practically rebuild this entire thing inside the advance casting where the guts of the drive dog is housed and attachments are mounted. Removing the battery tray, etc.

I removed the hood and loosened up the two 9/16” bolts that hold the battery tray and tilted the tray backward to see what I could see. Lo and behold I find the 1/2” bolts holding the shifter shaft down so loose,they’re protruding 3/8” from tight. I tightened the battery tray bolts to keep the tray elevated above where I needed access. I grab my a 1/2 “ box wrench, give couple of clockwise turns and we’re back in business!
I’m thinking if I haven’t left the battery tray tilted forward right on top of that shift mechanism after changing the negative battery cable a couple of weeks ago those bolts may have worked themselves clean out of that casting and I’d be in a much worse position.

These are primitive machines by today’s standards. I will venture to say that the blade of this mower contains more steel than any new residential mower you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes or true value or whatever. The shell definitely weights more than any gas powered push mower you can buy today self propelled or not. More steel too.

Still under construction, will update after we it it all together

So with the time saved not working on the Gravely this morning, I decided to work on this idea I’ve been kicking around in Garage Band since the first of the month. Really just to hear one of the two new Apple drum kits that have brushes as well as sticks

Artistry Under the Influence

Love it @Willd

Dehydrating tomatoes

They are so delicious it’s easy to go overboard and forget that they are going to reconstitute in your gut

21 lb. bird + 8 hours of focused solar radiation=YUM!

Once el Sol penetrates the thin layer of haze.

Yum is right…Hey, can I get a lifetime reservation for site 12 for the next 18 4th of July’s?

What is that

It’s a turkey in a roasting bag in a solar oven.

Learned sumpin today. Thanks!

Calculating cost per serving is another thing I do a lot for no reason other than to pat myself on the back for being so frugal.
For example coffee.
A few months ago our grocery liquidator had half pound bags of Maxwell House freeze dried Colombian coffee for $2.97/ea.
We bought 1 to try and as it turns out, it was exceptional. So we purchased another 10-12 bags.

We figured out the perfect portion of 2 tsp/cup. Turns out the bag fills a quart jar to the brim.
4 cups in a quart. 48 teaspoons in a cup. 194.7 teaspoons in a quart. That’s 94 servings of coffee per bag. Since the bag fills the jar to it’s brim lets just call it an even 100 cups. We average 14 cups a week (1 each during the week and 2 each on the weekend)

When, if ever, is the last time anyone here paid 3¢ for a cup of coffee?
Last I heard people pay upward of 100x that at a shop and half the time it’s not even to their satisfaction.

I have a frugal friend who thinks reusing K-cups is saving him something. The only thing he’s saving is himself from adequate caffeine intake and flavor. ha ha ha

Here it is on Amazon… Lets say we stole it for $2.97 a bag
2.97/23.35=.13 so a savings of 87% sounds good to me

Yuck, watered down coffee sounds horrible lol no matter how much he thinks he’s saving lol. If he has a kurieg, he should use the reusable k-cup that you add your own coffee grounds to without having to throw away all those plastic cups.

I prefer grinding my own beans. Flavor seems to be to best.

Yeah we really prefer the results from the Toddy cold press for best flavor. I never thought I could be satisfied drinking instant, but this one is good. It took some trial & error to get it just right. 2 level tsp is it. A few grains less & it’s weak. A few grains more & it’s bitter. It has to be good enough to drink black, since that’s how we both take ours.

The good news is when it runs out or if we get sick of it we can just go back to brewing fresh again.
The guy who reuses the K-Cups also drinks decaf so…ha ha ha ha

More solar cooking,
I have tried to do baking in the sun oven sous vide style just leaving it in the package but it came out all stuck together.
New attempt.