What's Your (Other) Hobby?

You may have seen my posts talking about or videos of me using my Gravely walk behind tractors.
Keeping these antique contraptions in good running order is a whole other component of using them in daily life. I would have to call it a hobby. So I’ll add pictures to my activity today and share it here.
I may have to add a drillpress to my workshop today or tomorrow. Harbor freight has another “sale” this weekend.

4 Likes

I am also a tad obsessed with mid century modern design. Charles and Ray Eames and George Nelson in particular.
I’m considering getting into buying and selling the stuff on eBay instead of just collecting it. I’m replacing some 50±year-old shock mounts today on a couple of seats. The beauty of many of their designs is that they are designed to wear forever with replaceable parts.
Many of their designs can be found in the Museum of Modern Art in New York City.

5 Likes

OK ladies and gentlemen children of all ages yes @DieHigh55 & @kabongster, I mean you.
Leave it to your old pal Will to not notice a little issue with the new clutch until I got in 99% installed.
Old starter clutch

New starter clutch

I hate to assume that hole is the correct diameter for the correct tap for the bolt that is supposed to be a fixed there to keep the gosh darn thing from eventually jamming against the fan pulley, not the end of the world after consulting with my Gravely guru.
If I can come up with an acceptable way to keep the center hub from spinning I will attempt tapping it. Right off the top of my head nothing comes to mind

4 Likes

I see a clip there Will, can the piece be removed and swapped.That could be the remains of the bolt that was once in there. It might of been drilled out for an easy out to be used. Just a thought. If the threads were damaged that may be an attempted repair job. You may need to go to the next size up and change your bolt.

2 Likes

Behind the clip and that spindle are 21 roller cams held in place ever so delicately with 2 spring bands. It was just never threaded I’ve got no clue why it was never threaded.
nbd. It’s probably never going to have to be removed again anyway. it’s in as new condition other than the fact its missing the internal thread to affix the “special bolt 174-S”. If I notice over time it’s making solid contact with the fan pulley and restricting it I’ll do something about it but for now everything’s looks great.
Before

After

Where did it go?

3 Likes

Gravely Starter clutch repair (identical to @jmlove123’s Storm door replacement)
Tools:
3/8" drive ratchet & extension
1/2" drive ratchet
15/16" socket
13/16" spark plug socket
1/2" combination wrench
9/16" combination wrench x2 or 1combo wrench and 9/16" socket
1"x1"x1.5" bock of wood to prevent piston travel
10" Crescent wrench
3/8" drive “click type” torque wrench
1 Gravely model L head gasket
At least one fattie, doobie, bowl, pen, bong or other MJ consumption device.

Step One
Mental preparation using the fattie, doobie, bowl, pen, bong or any combination thereof

Step 2
Using the 1/2" wrench loosen the negative battery terminal.
Step 3
Remove plug wire. Using the 13/16" spark plug socket, remove the plug
Step4
Using the 1/2" socket remove the two bolts holding the heat shield and carefully remove it.
*There are spacers below the heat shield that the bolts pass through. Be careful not to drop them behind the engine. (I’ve spent as long as 10 minutes fishing for them with a magnet on a stick and led snake light, cursing the whole time.)

Step 5
Using the 1/2" socket remove the rest of the head bolts and remove the head and head gasket. Set the head aside somewhere it won’t get disturbed or dirty. I usually place it face down on several layers of clean newspaper on the floor.Discard the head gasket.

Step 6
Using a pair of 9/16" wrenches, loosen the affixing and adjustment bolts on the starter to remove the chain from the starter clutch sprocket.

Step 7
Place the 1x1x1.5 long block of wood in the cylinder on top of the piston.
Using the 15/16" socket, turn the crank until the piston is far enough toward the bottom of the cylinder to put the head back on.

Step 8
Affix the head without the gasket using 4 bolts and tighten “finger tight”

Step 9
Using the 15/16" socket, remove the “Special bolt 174-S” (not too specific huh?)

Step 10
Using the 10" crescent spin the starter clutch counterclockwise until it is free of the crank spindle threads and remove.

Step 11
Apply anti-seize thread lubricant to crank spindle and spin new starter clutch on hand tight.
Step 12
Remove the head and bock of wood. Set head aside. Put block back in took kit
Step 13
Reattach chain and tighten starter bracket fully.
Step 14
Connect negative battery terminal
Step 15
“Bump” starter switch 8-10 times to fully tighten to the correct torque
(if this one were threaded on the back like it’s supposed to be here is where the “Special bolt 174-S” would be replaced)
Step 16
Inspect the surfaces of the head and cylinder block for debris and clean if necessary
Step 17
Replace the head with a new gasket and torque bolts to 20 ft/lbs

Step 18
Replace the tin heat shield and spacers. torque bolts to 20 ft/lbs
Step 19
Replace the Plug and attach the plug wire.
Step 20
Replace the hood, you’re done

6 Likes

@Willd good job

1 Like

Ok so that was easier than expected. They didn’t really seem that brittle until they spent a little time outside in the garage. Well the old epoxy did but the rubber remnants were pliable at room temperature.

A few careful strokes with a nice sharp chisel, buff with abrasive pad, and voilà! These surfaces are now ready to accept new shock mounts

4 Likes

there may be a screw loose on the handle end of that ratchet!!!

5 Likes

Uh…who…me? Clutch? The pedal in the middle between the gas and the brake, right? Or do you mean200w
Clutch Cargo, with his friends, Spinner and Paddlefoot, who’s mouth moves independently of his face?

6 Likes

No Al, “children of all ages” is where I was going with that.

2 Likes

Update on the Eames DCM shock mount replacement…
They could not have come out any better!

If my current listing for 4 of the 6 of them doesn’t end with a purchase, I’ll replace shock mounts on the remaining 5 and raise the price accordingly.

We picked up a pair of these 1990’s vintage Aluminum Group Soft Pad Exec chairs to replace the 2 DCM chairs we’ve been siting on at our dining table since 2016.

Open line Eggplant leather upholstery and custom eggplant frame & base.
So a blackish dark purple. Or a dark purplish black.
I am trying to use them as the proverbial carrot to dangle in front of this old horse (me) who needs to refinish the floor and walls and trim and ceiling of this room to complete the mid century modern renovation we began in February 2016. This was the last room to do. We have all the supplies on hand except a gallon or two of paint.

9 Likes

So I am back at it again with these shock mounts. It seems as though as soon as I replace them on one chair bottom another one fails on a different chair.
So apparently when they can no longer absorb shock they just separate from the wood. It’s kind of wild how they have been squished right down to the threaded insert on the old ones!

These new ones ought to go another 50+ years! Yeah this beautiful design was first introduced in 1946. These are about a 1960 vintage set.

9 Likes

getting a good epoxy high @Willd…? lol

3 Likes

Does the blue go in the left nostril & the clear in the right nostril or the other way around? I can never remember

8 Likes

does not matter, as long as the ratio is right…lol

5 Likes

just in the case we need another reason to own firearms!!! lol

10 Likes

How does that go? "If the Government says you don’t need an AR15 then you really need an AR15 lol.

5 Likes

Looks like he could use some Gator-aid. lol

5 Likes

my little black corvette

3 Likes