What's Your (Other) Hobby?

Right. I told my friend when we went I wanted to catch a shark. I was wore out for awhile. @Bogleg

1 Like

@Dkr8180 man I want an elk so bad! Where’d ya get that one? We almost went this past year but everyone backed out.

2 Likes

Beautiful catch dog! And the Bayer is purty too

1 Like

I have an M4 style 300 Blackout that I built and it is stupid how accurate it is. It will drop 10 handloads into a gorgeous 1 inch circle time after time. Floating the barrel makes an amazing difference over the older CAR style handguards IMO.

1 Like

@Beans my brother and I go out to a public WMA just outside of Loveland, Colorado, just north of Boulder every Semptember for the early bow hunt. It’s unguided and you are completely by yourself which is the way I like it!
There’s not too many things on this earth that’s as exciting as a spot and stalk elk with a bow.

2 Likes

Thanks @Nug-bug she’s a cane corso/pit mixed. She spends here weekdays laying on the beanbag with the kids and turns into a ferocious beast as soon as you load here in the dog box! She knows what’s up…
The bay dog pic’d is a cross between a Catahoula and Greyhound and I named him Cheetah bc, well the F’er is fast. My other 2 bay dogs are straight up Catahoula.

4 Likes

@Myfriendis410 yeah the 300 blackout is a beast. It doesnt have the trajectory range that the .223/5.56 has but it’s deadly out to 300+ yds.
And you’re right, the floating barrel makes all the difference in the world! My 300BO isn’t setup fully yet but my DD5V2 .308 AR 10 came with an 18" barrel and I upgraded to the 20" nickel Sendero barrel and my 14 yr old daughter is plinking pie plates at 700 yrs with it…

3 Likes

Not even hooked in the mouth ! That sounds and looks like it was a great fight ! A lot of work went into that 2 hour for sure ! Congrats :fireworks: :fireworks: :fireworks:

2 Likes

Yeah, but the 308 is a much more serious round than the Blackout. The smaller round would be a great defensive cartridge but is kinda marginal on deer.

@Beans you can shoot mule deer like this out of the camper… They’re also walking around in town!

Here’s that same elk mounted

5 Likes

@Myfriendis410 yeah, the .308 is a MUCH bigger round! But don’t discount the .300 Blackout as far as being light for deer. It of course is a 30cal bullet pressed into a deshouldered .243 and its kinetic energy is more than enough to drop a deer…even this Saskatchewan bruiser at 230 yds.

Granted, it didnt blow the exit side front leg off like my .308 does but I only had to walk a mere 40 yds from where it was shot to where it dropped and I actually got to harvest BOTH shoulders.
And I love meat!!

I use my .223/5.56’s and IUD’s for home defense.
Now you want to talk about a load that will reach out and touch something, my 7mm Remington Magnum surely do the job! Pic’d left

6 Likes

Yeah; I like the classics myself. My two favorite rifles are a Sharps and a Cooper. That one is set up for long range as it’s a custom rifle setup to shoot long range. 340 Weatherby Magnum which is about 100 fps hotter than the 338 Lapua. My model 52 will put 3 225 grain TTSX’s into .350". Shot a deer with it a couple of years ago and decided to never do that again lol.

Here’s my Sharps with a decent hog

6 Likes

You got great taste in rifles there @Myfriendis410, and expensive ones at that!!
Did your processor give you half off for half off that deer?? Lol

My son shot a little basket 8 with his granddads .300 Weatherby while hunting less than 10yds in the woodline off a field i was overlooking out of the box stand when he was about 11 and hit him real high in the shoulder and that deer tripoded out across the field with his right front leg tangled up in his rack where it wound up from the blast! Funniest thing I ever saw!

1 Like

I usually try to put my shot through the heart lungs area and avoid that shoulder. What I wasn’t prepared for was the deer curled up in a ball with half of one lung dangling from a bush 20 feet away. I learned then that there is such a thing as TOO dead haha!

I do my own processing, we use copper here which is less messy and our local gun club on base has a gorgeous game processing area with a walk in reefer and butcher table and running water and double winch A frames.

2 Likes

That’s hillarious! And I guess that negates the term ‘Clean Kill’!
I do all my own processing and taxidermy work myself as well but my processing only consists of a folding table, a couple of knives and a kitchen sink getting an earful from the 'ol lady!

3 Likes

@Myfriendis410 this is how my local buddies here on Maui do it… slippas’ and all brah!

6 Likes

Insanely jealous!!! Definitely want some western game animals in my den. Invites are welcomed!!! We were going to hunt around silverton. Don’t know if I could have handled the steepness!

2 Likes

That is some gorgeous country! There was a fire near Gunnison around 5 years ago, unit 54? I would be looking around there. Muzzleloader season is starting to sound better and better in Colorado.

2 Likes

This is what I have going on in the rifle dept. I’m trying to finish one 308 ar10 and three ar15’s. To complete the 308 I need a gas block and tube a muzzle break and a complete stock. I have two 16" barrels for the ar15’s and the 308 has an 18". I’ll probably make the last ar15 into a pistol version.

3 Likes

that .308 round is awesome !!

2 Likes