What's your FAVORITE training method?

What’s your favorite training method?

A. None - Au Naturale?
B. LST?
C. Topping?
D. FIMming?
E. Supercropping?
F. Another different method?

I’ve done all of the above and I gotta say, I love the simplicity and ease of supercropping. Once you get over the fear and see the actual results, it’s the way to go for me.

How about you? What’s your favorite method?

3 Likes

All I do is top 2 or 3 times and defoliate when necessary to improve airflow. Supercrop occasionally if I have a plant get out of control or if needed to improve light penetration.

Things like mainlining or growers that tie 10 inch plants down sideways down make me cringe. I fail to see how these methods can improve harvests.

3 Likes

For me it would be Topping, Fimming and Lst (tying down branches to the side of the pot).

3 Likes

Still too leary of supercropping. But, I will try, of course. Lst and defol are probably my fav right now.

2 Likes

The key is to bruise the intended branch sufficiently such that it won’t snap when you bend it so significantly.

4 Likes

A for me but i need to learn LST

1 Like

For me inside it’s a top followed by lst tie down
Outside it’s repeated toppings only

Im a big fan of topping once so i have 8 main branches then hst to where they’re flat like a table top

1 Like

Super cropping, as well as LST. I prefer not to top, as it takes additional veg time. The trick is to keep the plant “on schedule” and not delay flowering.
A combination of above, and defoliation will really improve yields. I supercropped the same strain, comparable in size, I got approximately 20g more from the supercropped plant. It definitely was not scientific, but in my opinion it does improve yields for indoor growing specifically.

The best way to think about maximizing yields on an indoor grow, is to expose the canopy to as much light as you can. Flattening the canopy, to maximize light penetration and intensity will give best results, even if you choose a different training method that involves a longer veg time.
Short veg times will always “out yield” anything based on longer veg time, because you can get another grow cycle in a year.

5 Likes

Did my first suppercrop last grow. Worked very well. Ended up with 8.3 ozs.

4 Likes

I like lst training and defoliation and lollipopping and fimming i fim my plants twice and i rim the top and all branches

1 Like

@Aussie_autos

It didn’t happen unless there is a photo… :laughing:

1 Like

I like A. But I am also lazy. B if wont go up like this crack i am growing.

1 Like

This plant has been fimmed and lollipoped and its been fimmed twice my other one has been lst training fimmed and super cropped

2 Likes

I actually do it in this order:

Supercrop to lay it down after 5 nodes, FIM to multiply the tops then supercrop to flatten it all out again.

4 Likes

Nebula has a pretty good write up on mainlining/manifold. She definitely sold me on the technique. All my photo grows will be done exactly this way.

6 Likes

@storm 2 questions. Is the quality of your bud the same at the bottom as it is at the top?
What is the difference in PPFD from the top to the bottom?

When I was looking for a light for a specific application I did a few average PPFD calculations.
These are the numbers from PPFD charts in a 4’ reflective enclosure covering the center 3x3 square at
12" avg PPFD - 1197
22" avg. PPFD - 752 which is 63% for only ten inches.

I am with @The_Chef my favorite is some form of manifold. Aesthetically I like the form and, because of the form, growth is very evenly divided between the two sides.
Believe me, there is a Nebula Manifold under there somewhere

And I had to supercrop the 8 main stems.
And a little net work to help spread and support.
Ultimately the answer is ALL of the above

7 Likes

The thing that sold me on mainlining/manifold is just look at the pics. You have 8 huge colas from top to the very bottom. The plants get great light penetration.

3 Likes

Im so stoned…I read the title and start traveling back in time…
“Favorite training method? Aw man, I do miss jumping out of OH WAIT ,OOOPS. :astonished:

Sorry.
Outdoors, I like to top. The top the main cola early,and then at my discretion do the side branches. The tomato cages do a good job combined with bamboo stakes.

Indoors-I have done mainling before. I know, sounds like sniffing something off a strippers…HEY! But yes,tedious-but with an indoor op I can see the validity/efficiency in it. But ya gotta have the time and patience to do it right.

SL out.

2 Likes

i cant get past sniffing something off strippers lmao

3 Likes