What's wrong with my plant

Continuing the discussion from First grow purple haze:

I agree, this could be some nitrogen deficiency, but I’d really like some more info first. Would you please fill out a support ticket?

Support Ticket

COPY/PASTE the below list into your forum post.
Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so = NA

Strain; Type, Bag seed, or NA

Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco?

System type?

PH of runoff or solution in reservoir?

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS

Indoor or Outdoor

Light system, size?

Temps; Day, Night

Humidity; Day, Night

Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,

Co2; Yes, No

If you can, upload a picture of your plant. It helps the diagnosis, if needed.

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer. Feel free to elaborate, but short, to the point questions and facts will help us help you

Thanks!

1 Like

The last picture I suspect some little flies are eating at the leaves
Strain; Type, Bag seed, or NA- royal queen

Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco?- 40% perlite 60% potting soil

System type?- NA

PH of runoff or solution in reservoir?- NA

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS- half strength organic nutes

Indoor or Outdoor- indoor

Light system, size?-600w hps

Temps; Day, Night- 22C-18C

Humidity; Day, Night-usually around 40%

Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size- 6 inch extraction fan no carbon filter yet

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,- no

Co2; Yes, No- no
@raustin

1 Like

What size pot do you have it in? Also, do you have any idea what your Ph is?

1 Like

@raustin they are in 3gal and idk how to test soil pH I’ve only pH tested water to find its 7

crazy it looks like the zinc deficiency shown in the grow guide

Ok, I think you’ve got a nute lockout going on from a too high ph, specifically a nitrogen deficiency, but could be other nutes as well.

You need to get yourself a Ph meter so you can properly measure your Ph runoff. What you do is water, or feed until you get water coming out the bottom, about 10% of what you put in. Then collect that runoff water and test the Ph. That’s how you get an accurate measurement.

This is a cheap Ph and PPM combo set that will do the trick for you. You’re going to need both if you want to do this correctly.

You’ll also need Ph Up and Down so you can adjust the Ph.

3 Likes

Ha, I forgot to mention that in soil you’re Ph should be between 6.3 and 6.8, so 7.0 is too high and that’s why the nutes get locked out.

3 Likes

I was thinking more nutrient burn from over feeding?! Thanks

2 Likes

Nute burn would show brown tips along with the yellow, and there’s a lot of yellow without the dried brown tips, that’s why I believe it’s a Ph problem. Also, if the plants aren’t getting nutes because of the Ph lockout, then there’s not enough nutes to burn them.

4 Likes

@raustin, I :heart: reading your advice. I have learned so much from you and @Covertgrower @MattyBear @Nug-bug.

5 Likes

Thanks, @NavyVet420, that really makes me happy. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@raustin is giving you some good advice. Looks like a ph issue to me. Especially with your water ph. And most nutes even organic nutrients will change your water ph.

2 Likes

@raustin so I have switched nutes and checked soil pH it was 6.8-7 dry after feeding soil pH had gone down to 6. I checked pH of water with the new nutes and it was 6.5. I didnt bother to check runoff. Should I try and raise soil pH back to 6.8-7?

How old is your 600 HPS? How many runs have you done with it? Also whats your watering schedule? Are you allowing them to dry a little before applying more water?

Also where does your water come from is it from a well, or is it from a municipal source?

I recently changed the 600w hps bulb so its near new. Watering roughly 1L every 3 days and water is bore so I don’t think its got chlorine its pH neutral. New nutes are 8-2-6 NPK. @LF-the-OG

No, 6.5 ph is perfect, that’s where you want to try and keep the soil. However, once that nute solution goes through the soil the ph changes because the soil buffers it, so the actual ph of the soil is probably lower than 6.5. This is why we measure the runoff after it’s gone through the soil, then you adjust the ph by changing it before you water or feed so that it comes out the correct ph.

I hope I’m explaining this correctly for you. I really need you to measure your runoff Ph, that’s what is important here, not the ph going in.

1 Like

Ok, I just reread your post and it seems that you did measure your runoff and it was 6.0 ph, right? So now you want to get it up to at least 6.3, so raise the ph going in to 6.8 and you should get 6.3 coming out.

Here is a very good article on how to measure your soil ph.

How many times have you run this strain or is the first time? Did you use your current method on prior grows successfully with this strain or another strain?

I might be blind, but I do not really see any perlite on the top of the soil are you sure you added it this time? 40% it should be showing up very visible on top of the soil.

Really I do not think it is a PH issue. I feel its one of two things: you do not have ample aeration in the root zone, so you are getting build up causing lock out. This can be check by how quickly the water is moving through the soil when you did your run off test. Did it take a while for the water to come out or did you have to wait a while and add more water a couple times? If you dumped a cup water into a bag and it took more than 15 second drain then your soil is too moisture holding for indoors.

Lastly, I am fairly certain if you have checked most things and your ventilation air is clear coming into your room this is a Zinc issue and is why the inter-node spacing is so tight on the top growth. Zinc is rarer, so what kind of numbers is your current organic feedings have in it? Mainly the P and K values?

@raustin soil pH was reading 6.0 after feeding I didn’t check runoff pH as I thought I gathered enough data for analysis. I don’t think I can adjust pH after feeding so I will probably have to wait until next feed and remember to raise pH 0.5 before adding nutes? How do you raise pH levels in soil by a decimal?

1 Like