Whats wrong if you have lights on 24/7 for autos?

I thought you could run your lights 24/7 for autos? 2 have started flowering and 2 in veg. Should I start a light schedule now?

1 Like

You can run autoflowers on any light schedule you want. Depending on how many weeks into the vegetative state you are, your other two will probably start flowering soon.
If you are able to run a well controlled environment, your autoflower plants of the same strain (and from the same breeder) should all flower at almost exactly the same time. It takes most beginners a while to get that level of control nailed down. But - different strains may flower at different times.

2 Likes

Thanks! Great explanation. I do have 3 differnt strains. 2 that are the same our right on time with each other. ! in veg is a goldleaf feminized. The other northern lights auto. The other two are amnesia haze and are auto. So will see what the non auto does with this 24/7 lighting.

2 Likes

The photoperiod plant should stay in the vegetative state until you decide you want it to start flowering. At that time you will switch your lighting to 12/12, and in about 7-14 days you should see flowers.

3 Likes

So it will stay in veg as long as I need it to? That would be great to harvest the 3 and then send that one into flower.

Yes, but - keep an eye on the height. In general, plants will grow 1.5 to 2 times their height during the stretch period when switching from vegetative state to flowering. You’ll want to think about how much room you have between the plant and your light.

2 Likes

I think less than 10/24 hours of light will cause problems with ANY cannabis plant. Not that you were saying “give plants 8 on 16 off.

You can, but you don’t have to. Weeds completes sime important processes in the dark, even autos. Plus, why spend all that extra money on electricity.

Check out DLI. Plants only need so much light and the rest is wasted energy. :grinning:

Set a light schedule, sure. I start for 10 days at 24/0, then decrease to 20/4 or 18/6, then during flower I flip to 12/12. Growing at mixed ages is fine with autos. Just pick a schedule and go for it.

I have grown autos from 12/12, too.

1 Like

Yes. Sorry @seandog I didn’t mean literally any light schedule. I meant any reasonable light schedule (10/14, 12/12, 16/8, 20/4, 24/0) you might put your photoperiod plants under, your autoflowering plants will go along with just fine.

And to the good point @blackthumbbetty made, while you can put your plants under 24 hours of light(plenty of people do), there’s really no need to, and there can be a point of diminishing returns. There are some different ratios of nutrient uptake that happen during the dark period, so some period of darkness can potentially(my opinion is that it is likely) give you better plants.

1 Like

I have had my auto under light 24 hours a day and I think is looking good

1 Like