What's the heck is on my plants?

• What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed: Bubba Kush from Farmers Lab Seeds
• Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF: Organic soil,5 lbs. Bag Super
Soil.
• Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, Troths: Grow Bags
• PH of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable): 6.0-7.0
• PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable: Fox Farm Liquid Nutrient Soil Trio
• Indoor or Outdoor: Outdoor
• Light system: The Sun
• Temps; Day, Night: N/A
• Humidity; Day, Night: Southern California High Humidity
• Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size: Outside Wind
• AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier: None
• Co2; Yes, No: No

I just don’t know what has me convinced what’s in the picture is leaf septoria. Now after looking at some of the other postings I don’t know what to think. I’m hoping you or someone else might give me a clue as to what the heck this crud is growing on my plants. It started working it’s way up from the bottom leaves like leaf septoria. It would be the coolest thing in the world if you could tell me what this is… Thanks

How are you measuring your pH? That’s a very wide range. It looks like a calcium deficiency to me, but not necessarily because there is a lack of it in the soil. If the pH is too high or low (you want to shoot for between 6.3 and 6.8 in soil, 6.5 is the sweet spot), the plant will not be able to absorb it. If your pH is within range, you might need to add a calcium/magnesium supplement, especially if you’re using reverse osmosis or some other type of water that might be short on minerals.

When I checked the water with my PH meter it was about 6.8. However, you say you think the yellowing and the brown spots are a calcium deficiency of sorts and not Leaf Septoria? Question, did I do the right thing by removing the yellow spotted leaves or should I have just left them alone? Also, the other day I transplanted the little ladies into 6 / 7 gallon grow bags with all new organic potting soil and split up a 5 pound bag of Super Soil Concentrate by Nature’s Living Soil and now they seem a lot happier and actually look like they’re growing. I have just one more concern, right above and next to my grow bags there is a Air Conditioner I made sure the condensation from the AC wasn’t dripping onto my plants however, I am concerned about the warm air coming from the AC. Can this hot air have a negative effect on my plants?

Hey @Constipation, I’m sure there will be someone more experienced coming by shortly, but I agree with @elheffe702, that looks like a calcium deficiency to me, and most likely caused by a pH issue.
As far as the heat from the AC, you’ll have to put a probe from a thermometer right by the plant to know for sure if it’s too hot. Also, Home Depot sells a laser thermometer for 30 bucks, you can point it anywhere and get a temp reading. It would be perfect in your situation because you can get the exact temp on your leaves while the AC is running.
This is the one I got, and it works great.

2 Likes

Now that I saw your pics more clearly, heat from that air conditioner won’t bother your plants at all. It’s plenty far away, and the heat will rise off the ac.

1 Like

Glad things have gotten better with the fresh soil. I’m running the nature’s living soil on a clone right now and so far she is doing great.
Heat from the AC exhaust rises and should have any negative issues with them as stated earlier.
The lower leaves brown spots looked like a calcium issue and very well could have been due to the soil PH being out of range as stated above.
Leaf septoria is a different look and that’s not what the pic showed.
Happy growing

Looks like your gonna need a bigger table or another location for them as they get bigger

Just a quick note to say Thank You so much to everyone who gave their input to my concerns. I found everyones input to be truly helpful. Also, a quick update: This morning I heard something clinking and clanking outside my window. I don’t know why I didn’t put two and two together. It took me about 10 minutes to figure it out. It finally occurred to me it was freaking raining outside! I jumped out of bed, into my shoes and went outside to move my rain soaked ladies and parked them in the garage. One good thing was today I was suppose to water my plants. The bad thing was my beautiful ladies got all wet. Now the last thing I want to deal with is mold and fungus. I was thinking about getting out a blow dryer and going over then with some cool air as to dry them out a bit but had second thoughts. What I did end up doing was dabbed the leaves off with a rolled up paper towel. Now my question is; when they dry out completely should I spray them with a little fungicide or something for mold? Once again, Thanks to all for your input and advice.

6.8 going in is okay, if only a little high. It might be as simple as that. Are you measuring runoff, too? That will be the best way to tell what’s going on. If you look at a pH chart that shows the range in which each nutrient/micronutrient is best absorbed, you can see how swings too high or low will start to starve the plant of things.
wpid-user17219pic142031233853343
Soil chart is on the right. You’ll see Calcium begins to lock out just below 6.5. Your soil may have been a little on the acidic side for them. The good news is, the rain probably helped that. Besides them being soggy, they kinda got a flush. If there’s still some running out, you can get a sample of it and test it.