What's the crud comin off my bud? / Post-harvest bubble bathing

I have been washing my buds with a peroxide/water (a la Jorge) solution and rinsing with regular water before drip drying. It seems to work fine, but I was wondering what to make of the oil slick that comes off of the buds? I think cervantes mentions the powdery mildew ejecta- but what I’m seeing looks like oil on water and has me wondering if somehow the trich heads are rupturing and washing off into the water. If not - what else could it be? pollution? Bug shit? I have occasionally sprayed neem over the life of the plants - but its been a good while since. Free

Also - I noticed some fine silt in the water as I rinsed out the tub - sort of beige/amber tiny particulate. My water may have been colder that day because the rinse bins had stayed overnight.

Think its possible that there is some level of “hashmaking” happening where the trick heads are popping off in the wash? I know there are people who do an icewater process for hash - surely it has to be colder than 45deg?

Anyone out there know the science behind the sludge?

@aaa @myfriendis410

1 Like

@aaa said

Oil slick- I basically assumed it was powder milder as JV says in his video, but your question has me thinking. I’ve never sprayed anything oil based on my plants. My guess is it’s s combo of environmental oil and some of the oil the plant possesses. I don’t think the slick is trichs, if there is oil present, probably closer to essential oils of the plant. Debris at bottom- same thing, a mix. I’m sure a part of that mix is trichs. Every step of handling removes a % of the plant, leaves, trichs, etc. the more handling he more loss.

1 Like

If indeed trichs, then you should be able to see with a good loupe, or a microscope.

2 Likes

Its residue from mildew and molds

4 Likes

I considered getting out the scope but I had been trimming for hours and it was rainy and cold as hell. Next batch for sure!

2 Likes

I think it’s the peroxide itself, but it becomes more visible as reissue and dust are added from the plant and highlight the slick. Take a good close look at your clean/beginning water/peroxide mix…I can already see an “oil slick” effect after I add the peroxide and before I do anything else.

4 Likes

@fano_man @DaddysLittleFatty are both correct it’s just the oils from the plant and mildew it’s truly amazing the nasty crap that comes off of them no mater how good you think rooms are sealed they still have nasty on them I have noticed that when I dry without washing compared to washing they seem to dry better when washed

4 Likes

That is an interesting thought and I will definitely lil next clean batch I make!

2 Likes

I have to agree about the drying bit. It must have something to do with stripping off layers of smut and allowing the cells to breathe. Pretty amazing the result too… Smells so good.

2 Likes

I only washed this era of harvesting so can’t comment on drying of washed vs un washed, but the mess left behind is crazy.

5 Likes

3 Likes