Whats the best kind of led grow light *bulb*?

lots of growers run their lights at night when temperatures are their coolest to warm things up a little…

Two 400 watt lights would provide 800 watts total…an average of 50 watts per square foot for growing is recommended, the area would be 16 square feet, approximately a 3’ x 6’ area…and an average plant might be 2’ x 2’, so 3-4 plants…

4 Likes

I’m out of likes, but this looks to be a much better direction than anything you would do with led bulbs

1 Like

I would go with the Ipower and I think Kabongster covered it pretty much you could roughly grow on same foot print as a sheet of plywood

4 Likes

@Nickrivard420 I agree, and wasn’t aware of the extreme temperatures you were facing. LED I don’t think is the way to go here, unless you have heat in that space, which it sounds like you don’t. Another thing to look at is LEC lighting. Or ceramic metal halide. @Donaldj has that type of lighting, and maybe he can chime in at the differences advantages and disadvantages.

1 Like

If growing is illegal where you are moving to, and the landlord doesn’t know about it, then I would recommend against it. He’s going to see the electric bill go up if he gets it, no matter what kind of light you use. It’s going to be higher than any other tenant, so he’s going to know something is up. Even if it is legal, landlords can kick you out for growing.

And the basement is someplace the landlord can potentially need to visit. They tend to get touchy because of federal asset forfeiture laws. You might want to consider a closet for a tent instead. Someplace he isn’t likely to see it.

And I wouldn’t worry about the heat difference between LEDs and HID bulbs. LEDs are maybe a little more efficient but watts are watts. No matter what kind of light you use, it almost all ends up as heat. The amount of energy used to make plant tissue is the exact amount you would get by burning the weed: Not very much. The HID bulbs will heat less air to a higher temp than the LEDs, but once you mix it with the exhaust air, it will work out to be about the same.

The main difference between LEDs and HID is that you can potentially get more light per watt out of the LEDs so your electric bill is not so high. But you have to go with something like COBs run at 1/3 maximum power to get super high efficiency. And you have to use a really efficient driver. I don’t know if any of the COB kits offer that option. I doubt the commercial grow lights do because they are all competing on watts, not lumens per watt. They are much more likely to drive their COBs or LEDs near their maximum current so they are about the same efficiency as HID.

1 Like

@Covertgrower im usimg a 400 watt mh bulb and im gonna use a 4oo watt hps bulb for fliwowe4r

1 Like

I habe my light on when its the most cheep at night. And i only habe thw fans on whem the lights are on . Also i try not to use to much energy during the day. Think ill be oky with the landlords ? @Covertgrower

@Covertgrower. U know of any cheap tents that look descrite ?

@Nickrivard420 I’m not sure how much of a break in electricity you get at night. But some people do. What your using for veg/flower will work just fine, but I was only suggesting LEC/ceramic metal halide if you wanted to add more, which as @Donaldj will tell you has a better light output and spectrum for both flower and veg. Especially if you were adding more. All of the tents I’ve seen all look the same. Black on the outside, shiny in the middle. It’s really about what size you need. If you go 4x4 feet it’s a nice sized space. You said basement, so you could probably go larger than that. Even 4X8 or 10x10. Its all about how many lights you can put in.

1 Like

I haven’t reached the end of this thread yet, but I will say that growing in a damp, unventilated basement is a recipe for disaster. Mold will be a killer.

5 Likes

@Nickrivard420 I have one of these ipower digital, dimmable ballast with a 6"cool tube. Its dimmable, its fairly quite. Id buy another one. I use the MH bulb for veg, then switch to the HPS for flowering. If i had to choose one or other id choose the HID (mh/hps), time tested and proven to produce nice buds. 2 smaller 400 or 600 watt HID lights will be more efficient then a single 1k. My plants really love the HPS with am LED supplementing it. I have a Hollandstar 300watt full spectrum, only pulls about 98watts. It doesnt produce much heat but it is bright! And burns plants worse then my 400mph. So make sure u have 18-22" above plant tops. You can find leds in this quality range $90-130ish. 3 yr unlimited warranty, free parts for life after but customer pays shipping. The 300watt led inly has about a 2x2 foot print at 17"

2 Likes

With out a way to bring fresh dry air in and get rid of hot spent air, mold is going to be an issue for most anyone, but being in a damp musty basement with out ventilation is going to be a potential problem from start to finish.
@Nickrivard420 maybe post us some drawings of the layout or pictures and some of the crafty growers on here who are in construction can give you some ideas how to bring air in and out with out causing damage. Honestly if u add a hot light to a moist basement it makes perfect environment for mold and rot that could not only wipe out your plants but spread up threw floor and into house or mold spores in the air that are dangerous to breath.

1 Like

@Familyman420 ya i think im just gonna get a text and bring it upstairs in my rom with me somewere that i could vent easy. But my plants are actually growing in mty basdment rigt now but its not damp and musty

I’ve grown in a basement a few times. As long as you have good fresh air coming in and exhausted stale air a way out, it works just fine.