What's ppl pH of rain water

So is it from catching outta the gutter that is making my So Flo rain pH @7/8. How bad is it that I throw some old pine needles & branches in the bucket put the lid on & presto pH lowered days later?

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of such a thing but I love following a good science experiment.

1 Like

@Sixpackdad what do you use for water? Sink w pH down???

1 Like

I have well water. It has a pH of about 8 and 180ppms of “stuff” in it. I use it right out of the tap, add nutrients, and pH down to 5.8. I don’t calmag, and presume those two minerals are in the 180.

1 Like

@LoCoRock you can add those things, but you’ll still need to adjust you oh before using. The ph can or could drift differently than planned even after adding the pine needles.

1 Like

Oh no doubt… Definitely! When I posted the question I was really curious of what other ppl’s rain water pH is really? That is the Bill Nye Science guy in me. I’m curious of one the guys across the pond or maybe Midwest!

My Central FL rain is running 7.2 with a .1+/- fluctuation

Australian rain water out of a concrete tank unfiltered 9.7 filtered 8.7

Mines usually in the mid 7s can drop to mid 6s if the wind blows in from the smog covered city nearby

If it really pure and unpolluted, rain water should be exactly 7.00. But it only takes a tiny bit of pollution or CO2 to make the pH higher or lower. It also should have absolutely zero dissolved solids. It’s the same as distilled water.

1 Like

So 7 pH is the number huh @1BigFella for rain water. Yah mines just under 8 usually… The Aussie said high 8’s …That’s interesting I appreciate it man!!,:+1:

That’s pretty danm good I must say…
My well water comes out before filtration at a ph of 12 and over 2500 ppm …
I live in the devil’s @$$hole … jerk water usa…
After some serious water filtration , I can only get to a ph of 8.5 and a ppm of 275 …
I just buy water when it comes to drinking water and my plants… runs me about $50 a month…for both the family and the plants…
:wink:

:v::sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s decent. I have a filtration system in the basement that takes out the nasties that come with the earth here - arsenic and radon, two things neither humans nor cannabis need. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Ya , I wish… :wink:

:v::sunglasses:

1 Like

I can only imagine what’s in those 2500ppm

1 Like

Hi! I live about 30 min. from Antwerp, Belgium. Due to our smoke belching harbor and daily traffic jams, our rainwater (which I water our plants with) is very acidic, around pH4. I bring it up with…pH up, of course, from the pet store and.if need be, bring it down with.vinager. Hope that helps😊

Wow that’s super interesting @DieHigh55 … 4 pH - I guess is the winner in Belgium! BTW your English is better then mine. A couple others with the well water have much bigger challenges though huh?

3 Likes

@LoCoRock. I haven’t collected the rain water here but my well water in summer is 7.0 and now in winter can be up to 8.0. I’m in eastern Canada.
Peace. :v:
Also have fairly high dissolved solids as evident in anything that has evaporated.

Haha! Don’t be too impressed by my English, I’m an American ex-pat.

1 Like

I’m sure because well water comes out of the ground that’s what makes it alkyl…think that’s right…with all the minerals and stuff. Since our water comes out of the sky and collects all the nasty pollutants on the way down, it’s more acidic. Like they say…if you can’t dazzle’m with brilliance, baffle’m with bulls#!t.:grin:

3 Likes