Whats everyones opinions on cutting offshoots

Ive been doing some reading on cropping techniques, and i cant find a definitive answer on whether or not i should cut the offshoot branches that are getting barely any light, keeping in mind, im entering week 4 of flowering today.

Would the plants yield more from the offshoots, or cutting them off, and redirecting the energy to the top of the plant? By my count that would be 6 or 7 branches off 2 plants combined, that are a bit behind the ones receiving direct light.

I cut a few off when I gave my plant a haircut this morning. I do it every grow. If a bud site isn’t going to be productive (e.g. no where near the canopy,) then it comes off.

2 Likes

I remove the bottom 1/3 of my plant completely off. Usually do that when I switch them to flower. Day 21 of flower I do a heavy defol and day 42 I usually do my last defol.

I check the plant mostly daily between that time and will tuck and remove single leafs as necessary. Good luck!

5 Likes

Ok thanks guys. Up until now i hadnt really removed anything but big fan leaves. One of the offshoots is trying to pop out the tent door and is way below the canopy. Ill definitely remove a few.

2 Likes

I definitely clip shoots and do a heavy defol during flower so the energy goes to the bud and not excessive/ unnecessary leaf development. I don’t stick to a schedule. If they need it, I do it. As a result, I’ve seen good development doing this. Now you may find people who say this isn’t the right thing to do. However, I riff off of what I think the plants needs and it has treated me/them well! Get in there and don’t be afraid!

5 Likes

I like that strategy. Try to read the plant…thanks man.

1 Like

Yes! Let them tell you what they need, and notice where the growth energy is being wasted. And defol allows bud sites to be exposed and let’s light down into the canopy. A win/win in my opinion!

2 Likes

This is something you can also take and make a clone with.

4 Likes

Is it ok to cut leaves at the top of the plant that are blocking a site, even if that leaf is on the same node as the site?

For instance, some offshoots have a site at the node below the top site that is also flowering, but im wondering if those leaves are critical to the top nodes development.

Ive included a pic that essentially has 3 sites. The very top, another about a half inch lower thats hard to see in the pic, and then another a couple inches down.

The leaves at the very top are blocking light from hitting the 2 sites directly below it, but can you make an offshoot bald like that.

2 Likes

Great idea

These are two clones that I took during flower that were small branches that wouldn’t do much if I left them.

2 Likes

They look like theyre doing great. With cloning research ive done, it always says to do it preflower, although im not sure why. Is it true?

So I am still new to cannabis and cloning. But here’s what I have learned, taking a clone in veg is easier as it will root faster and have a high chance for success because the plant is already in that stage.

Taking one during flower means the plant first will need to revert back, this takes longer. It took 2 weeks before my first rooted. Out of 7 clones 2 took, one was a surprise I was actually about to throw it out and realized she rooted finally, 4 weeks later almost.

Keep in mind those clones were just a trial I didn’t use any gel, nutrients, just figured I’d see if they would root in ProMix on their own. Confirmed, just not super efficient without a boost.

The process I was told for clones in flower is Monster Cropping. One benefit of this will be that my clones are ready to go to flower at any point because they are old enough. So with those clones you can switch whenever, with veg clones they will need to reach that maturity stage just like a normal veg.

Others that have been doing it longer can chime in to more pros and cons but that’s the biggest benefit I’ve read. Others have mentioned the other reason to take during flower is that you could have sampled the plants and know which one you want to keep as a prize plant.

1 Like

Here’s a good bit of information

https://ilgmforum.com/t/is-there-anyone-familiar-with-monster-cropping-that-can-guide-me/27028/5?u=piratedsoldier

1 Like

Got you…which works out in my case bc i dont have another grow area, so the time it takes to revert back will actually be needed.

Waiting til flowering to sample the plant would make the most sense, but everything ive read has been so against taking it after flowering that i just assumed it would raise the risk of hermie. Good to know that its ok to do it. Think ill run to lowes for some rooting hormone before i trim ger up.

Thanks for all the info man

1 Like

Awesome…thank you. I did emergency supercropping yesterday, and a couple days before that, due to running out of space, so at least i got that experience under my belt already lol

So my process which I’m modifying, I take my branch (shorten it a bit - didn’t do that before), lightly scrape away the outer skin of the branch, let it soak in water for a few hours, add clone gel and place in ProMix, as far as leaves I just followed the same rule for clones, a couple fans and 1 node.

2 Likes

Sweet. Going to try doing exactly this and see what happens

1 Like

I used to leave them be. Now I remove them.

2 Likes

I get in there early and remove growth I know will never amount to anything,

4 Likes