What your opinion

What’s everyone’s opinion on thinning out fan leaves so the plant gets light in middle? @Buck3 @bob31 @Covertgrower @BIGE @garrigan62 @aussie123556 and @Countryboyjvd1971 and anyone else I missed

3 Likes

I guess I’m asking is what would you guys do if this was yours?

1 Like

Praise Jesus, Allah, Buddha, etc.

9 Likes

@Sirsmokes im gunna give another shout out to neela bakore yt videos,have learnt a tonne of plant biology,she talk about the photosynthesis an the sites it happens at,which is basically all over the plant but specifically on the leaf cuticles an is a chloraplaste cell which is on the trichomes an flower,or stamen an pistils areas aswell.i wanted to know if giving the flowers more light directly would help photosynthesis more meaning a scrog would help a tonne,i’m thinking,i’m going to try this next time round but there is some great info on this in her videos.great topic :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well thank you I couldn’t have done it without the support of this forum

1 Like

I can’t even do it WITH the support of this forum! :joy:

2 Likes

You grow indoors

Promix earth worm castings and ph at 5.8 brother let her do her thing I FIMed her 2 times so she got real bushy and I kept a cfl 23w 6500k 2 or 3 inches above her and she stayed short then put her into flower with 3 galaxy hydro 300w led… easy peasy

1 Like

I started her on neuts from our local big home store and last night was her first actual neuts spicifacally for mj so the neit’s from the home store dI’d what you see now.

My first grow when flowering started out & thru flowering hubby & i thinned out fan leaves. A few are ok but we took way too many off & had to go ahead & harvest due to they were dying. They had nothing left to feed on but sugar leaves & buds.
Dont do it! Just tuck the larger fan leaves under the buds you want to get more light.

6 Likes

@Laurap he could add some side light or get something like the below and string them around and through his plant. Whatcha think? Was thinking of it for my grows. Low heat from them but could put them under tha plant around the base and would get light right up the column.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XPGNLCW/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3RDV7P0K36CFQ

1 Like

Side lighting works great!

@Sirsmokes

I’m with @Laurap. I’m a brand new grower so I have no real experience, only a thought. If I’m ever in doubt as to what I should do, I revert back to “What would Mother nature do?” Mother nature doesn’t prune fan leaves off so I feel like I shouldn’t. I’m sure there are advanced techniques that maximize yields but I think some of them are flirting with disaster. I trimmed some very small growth off of the bottoms of my plants just to aid in watering but was very careful not to take too much off. I may be way off but just my thoughts.

2 Likes

@Sirsmokes I would try some side lighting and maybe trim a few of the fan leaves but not to many since, and correct me if I’m wrong, fan leaves help the plants in taking in light, nutrients, C02 and the sort.

3 Likes

@Sirsmokes unless air flow is restricted or more productive areas of the plant are being cut off, leaving them on is a good idea. The plant will discard them as needed.

2 Likes

Keep the fan leaves @Sirsmokes they help get things done.

1 Like

@Sirsmokes

This is one of those things where you are going to have to try it for yourself and see what you think.

I wouldn’t go cleaning up any fan leaves 2 weeks into flower. I myself clean up the upper fan leaves at about 7.5 to 8 weeks(most strains I flower for about 9 weeks), and I only cut them if they are directly hovering over a lower bud mass. I have found that for me, this helps my lower guys to tighten up a little bit.

1 Like

This is good advice. To stress or not to stress? That is the question. Both can be potentially successful, but one has a much higher probability of being unsuccessful, especially if other variables are not kept in check.

I on the other hand have an evil side to me that likes to see what the plant does when you take it past the point that mother nature pushes it too…

ea3fb132a1a7663dee16af56f9328fbbab703360_1_281x500

4 Likes

I’m just trying to decide if you prune the bottom it’s already out of mother natures realm I was just curious I have seen success bother ways and if your prune the bottom it focuses on the flowers… so just wandering what’s to much? Lol I may thin a little not alot bUT a little

2 Likes

For some reason I can’t leave my leaves out in my journal you will notice my grow partner is my shephard. Well he has started eating the yellowing leaves that I pull off he’s gotta reap the rewards too lol

4 Likes