What to use to pH water if using Happy Frog soil(microbes)

I’ve got 5 sour D autos in 5 gal grow bags. A mix of happy frog and Ocean Forest for soil. I just ordered a pH up pH down set but I am reading that these minerals will kill off the microbes in my soil. How bad off will I be if I use the up and down anyway ? I’m not sure if I am misinterpreting Fox Farms description of the soil but it says not to worry about pH with these soils. Also as far as water goes, why can’t I use distilled water for the life of the plant?

If it’s soil I prefer spring water. You can adjust pH with vinegar and other natural things

2 Likes

Using those products according to the directions and at the small amounts you actually need you will not harm your microbes. Its usually just a few drops of either needed to adjust.
For instance pH down is usually phosphoric acid which is just another plant nutrient. In fact its used in soft drinks as well.

2 Likes

I agree, I now just use the pH down and don’t guess I have ever had to use the pH up as lime in the soil mix always holds the pH to 6.5 to 7 but later when flowering starts I lower mine to 6.2 for proper calcium uptake as I notice a few orange specks on my leaves if I don’t.

2 Likes

You can. I use reverse osmosis which is basically the same. Just water with little to no minerals.
At some point you will need to add plant food, (nutrients), and then you will have to adjust the pH.

1 Like

Awesome ! Thanks for taking the time, I feel so much better lol it feels like becoming a father all over again haha I just care so much about this life I have made and am caring for, I think seeing them thrive will give me greater joy than the fruits of my labor…although the end product is a big deal to me too lol thanks again!

1 Like

Thanks very much! Each day they grow I worry about more and more lol I just want the best for them

1 Like