What to set 5-gal buckets on?

I’m looking for something to set my plants on top of inside my grow room. Preferably something cheap, maybe laying around the house even. My second attemp and tryin to clean things up!

2 Likes

@Jerdan03 you looking to make risers and saucers?

2 Likes

Turn a 5g bucket over and use the bottom of it

1 Like

I have some four gal buckets (with plenty of drainage holes), sitting inside another bucket (5gal) and that was the plan. Surgery & stitches necesitate 3 gal bags for all new plantings. They nicely sit inside the buckets. Brick riser works. Buckets will contain overflow for testing. Clones in 3-gal bags have room tor top dressing .

3 Likes

Anything that works really. Just know I had slight mild and gnats last time

Second grow attempt and looking for a few good ideas to set my pots on for good drainage and airflow. I currently have 3 5-gallon buckets and 1 fabric pot I’m using.

2 Likes

@Jerdan03 If ur looking for real cheap I’ve seen a few folks just use an old wire fridge shelf raised up on blocks with a drip tray / pan underneath them for any runoff.
Some folks put some effort into it and come up with some really nice ones on wheels for access into the back of the tent when the plants get bigger.
@merlin44 has a really nice set up for individual plant caddy’s.
He’ll see the tag and swing by.
Happy growing.
:v::call_me_hand:

3 Likes

This shot gives you a general view of my SCROG carts. Just make yours the dimensions that work for your grow space. Thanks for the tag @Oldguy

7 Likes

Damn!! That’s sweet merlin44! What is that …
3/4 inch pvc? Here I just wasted a few hours on this job. Talk about tent lock- forgot to leave room to get to the middle :joy:. I was really trying to get my girls in there ASAP so I can start flowering. Being impatient and a procrastinator makes growing weed tough :crazy_face:

3 Likes

@Jerdan03 did you use 5 gal buckets to grow in last time? I’ve seen fabric pots not on risers have issues with roots growing through and mold underneath due to no air pruning or air flow. If you were in a bucket and had mold in the bucket I’d say you either were overwatering and/or need more drainage holes added. Hard to guess without more details.

1 Like

It was definitely overwatering but I learn from my mistakes. The new cloves are going great just out of room in the small tent… scrog tent now ready. Probably drill out the holes little bigger too

3 Likes

1/2" pvc

1 Like

I cut a piece of 1 1/2 pvc in half so It sets flat and put them on there.

That is what I did ,looked around found stuff i had collected ,now use in the tent ever cruise around on trash day I found a plastic pallet lightweight,holes in it fabric pots stay dry and it only rasied up 4"

Crawfish tray is what I use…

1 Like

@merlin44 your stands/platforms would be a great pic for DIY inspiration here!!

1 Like

For bags, I use flatten out sides from Oxypots for drain trays. They work well and do not use up very much height. Just be sure to lay them down with the holes facing downward. You can see how much salt one of them had collected. I should note that this tent is on a raised platform with a drain in the floor, and with a drain pan underneath. This makes managing run off very easy, and the drain pan makes it easy to measure run off.

For buckets I buy the pot risers. They are not too expensive. I have also been having good results using air injection tubes on the bottom of the buckets.

This air injection bucket is becoming my favorite grow container. The plastic bucket uses water and nutrients very efficiently, and with much less waste than fabric bags. The drain tube; allows you to plug it as you water, allows top or bottom watering, and makes checking run off numbers a breeze. They are very reusable, and easy to clean. With a good nutrient schedule they kick ass!

2 Likes

I have more pictures and details on how to build this air bucket. If anyone should want more info just tag me. There are a couple changes that I want to make on rev 1.2.

2 Likes

Like that airpots idea. Gonna have to try that on my next run.

Got these drain pans and my risers fit perfectly!! Nice and deep!!