What to do with burnt buds?

While on vacation my new to me lights cooked 6 Bud tops on my GDP. Only the top 2"-3" of the bud are browned, underneath they’re still flowering and pretty.

I’m currently on day 46 of flower and plan to harvest in 10 days.

My question is, should I just let them ride and then cut and trim as usual, or cut the burnt tops off and hope the flowers underneath continue growing for the next 10 days.

I cut 2 off last week, trimmed them and let them dry in a jar with fully cured weed for 5 days. TBH, they weren’t bad. Pretty smooth and mellow. Not a ton of flavor, but surprisingly good.

@garrigan62

2 Likes

Take them off now, and don’t let the plants waste anymore energy on them. Dry and smoke them or save them for budder.

I know you asked for @garrigan62

1 Like

Are you sure they got burned from the light? Usually too much light happens in the form of bud bleaching, causing the buds to turn white.

2 Likes

Check to see if it is moldy .I hope its not bud rot . It’s hard to tell from that picture .

1 Like

The browning is from the outside in. It doesn’t look rotten just dried out and brown. I assume, never having it, that bud rot is from the inside out.

I’ll be trimming them off at lights on tomorrow. Thanks for the input.

1 Like

I burnt some of mine once with the light too close . Had to back it down and raise it up . I trimmed the burnt parts off with sisscors and smoked em . What are your new lights ?

This is the light I’ve got directly over the plants. It’s got way too much power for a 48"x30" scrog. I’ve got the supplemental eb strips running at about 100 watts right now. I had it all the way up while on vacation. Too much light fir the girls. Project: Increase the lighting footprint with bridgelux light strips - #31 by Drinkslinger

I’ve also got other lights in the tent as well.

@seeddog I’m going to go with bud rot. Opened them up and took a real close look. Damn.

Oh wow , so sorry man . Yup all soft and mushy inside . Cut them off and and get them out of your grow room as not to infect any other plants you might have . I would try washing the rest of it with peroxide and water mix . I think @Hogmaster had shared a video on how it was done on another post . Air circulation and low humidity is a must when they are in flower . I mistakenly left a fan off and humidity went to 50% , it only took 2 days but I caught it early enough to save it .

This summer has been abnormally humid, with humidity hitting 90% a lot. Most of my flower has been 65%-70%. I’ve got lots of fans and circulation in the tent, but I may have to re-think basement growing in the summer.

It’s a bummer, but it’s only about an ounce. I’ve got plenty left. :grin:

1 Like

How many GDP plants is that? I’m new so I was a bit curious how many plants you had to produce that many tops.

@vexer 2 plants, in a scrog.

1 Like

Awesome thanks. I was wondering how you got them so even and uniform, so that makes sense now.

My humidity inside my 2x4 was 42% today . I’m running a dehumidifier at 33% in the room the tents are in and i’m pulling out 2.5 gallons a day . It’s a battle .

2 Likes

If I continue to grow in my basement a big dehumidifier is on the short list.
Upstairs is air conditioned, but the girlfriend doesn’t appreciate the olfactory aspect of my grows. Yes, she does smoke.

@Drinkslinger @Budbrother , @Vexer . A good grow light will give you good buds , a good dehumidifier will let you smoke them . 1 Blueberry and 1 OG Kush are in flower and growing fast . Humidity is 42% , Temps at 84*

My first grow is a few weeks into flowering. The little Romulan got stunted growth early on but is coming back with some nice buds and the big Snowland girl finally started to flower after I switched to 10/14 lighting. Sorry about the purple, I was too lazy to turn the lights off.

1 Like