What the heck is this white powder? First Grow Day 45 Flower

If it was male to start and pollinated another of your plants thats a different story… then you should have good seeds from that pollinated plant

1 Like

They are so intertwined the plant in question is in the back right. If you look at the second photo, that little beige stick is a BBQ skewer and the end which points inward was on the bud in question. But I feel like I’m so close to harvest…

Here are a couple random bud pics taken last night. How much longer do you think I have? Prior to all of this, I had projected my flush to start Sunday but I’m not sure. That would put my actual cut sometime around the week of the 19th. The 19th would be day 56 of flower or 96 days from germination.
Thoughts? @bob31 @Countryboyjvd1971 @Donaldj @WillyJ @Myfriendis410 @durabloom @Covertgrower

1 Like

She’s getting close, I would check the trichomes, that’s the best way to tell, but just as a guess, a couple weeks? @EclecticJack there are still many variables to consider though.

2 Likes

These are bag seeds. How many bloom days did you do?

1 Like

Every strain is different, my white widow, and GSC both finished around the 60 day mark. Give or take 4 days. Bag seed is whenever it decides, since nobody can be certain of the genetics, or the finishing times. That’s best answer I can give. If you have the ability to check trichomes that’s the best solution. @EclecticJack

2 Likes

Like @Covertgrower says different strains have different times and those times are just guidelines and not exact…each plant will finish when she decides…get a magnifier and check trichomes that is the true way to find out were she is at… @EclecticJack

2 Likes

Just got home and have been able to check. There are pollen sacs all over the lower 1/4 of the plant. Many have clearly burst so whatever damage was done, is done. I had to get a spotlight because as you can guess the light used to grow my girls has been creating the shadows which have been hiding the sacs.

So my fellow growers the plan is NEVER SAY DIE…but we may have to trim the hell out of it. The main stalk still looks ok…for now. I’m going to trim every affected branch and just watch very closely from there. I’ll just have to dry what comes off and see how we do. I can flush this plant early if I can just get another week out of it. Am I pushing it?

Thoughts?
@WillyJ @bob31 @Covertgrower @Myfriendis410 @Donaldj

I’m just finishing my first grow, but I’ll say let them finish. Whatever pollination occurred, has already happened. So at this point I think you could remove affected pollinating sacs you can find, and let them finish. @eclecticjack

2 Likes

@Covertgrower the only adjustment to ‘let it go’ is that there are tons of pollen sacs that have not burst. I’ve already removed some branches since the last post a few moments ago and the more I cut, the more I find…BUT…there are some areas that don’t look bad at all. Once I hit a certain height on the stalk it looked “clean”. I just have to watch it.

It sucks I know some pollen got out during this process but I can’t see I had much choice. I know something usable will come from all that’s left but I just wanted to keep the damage low.

Well, you could continue on with the surgery… @EclecticJack or you could remove the entire plant.

If you are observant, you will notice some subtle and immediate changes in your plant. Basically, it’s going to quit producing buds and maintaining older calyxes in favor of seeding. So things like abruptly all pistils turning orange or all of the powdered sugar disappear overnight are signs to make the chop IMO.

@Myfriendis410 When you say chop, you mean flush as well? Or in this case chop and skip the flush for time? It looks like I’m at about 40-50% brown in my pistols over the three plants. I got a 16x loupe but that doesn’t seem powerful enough to judge the trichomes.

@Covertgrower I will say I am visually happier now. It cost me 9 branches but there are no current signs of sacs. I’m gonna trim and hang those and hope for the best. I’ll get some pre experience in drying I guess lol

As a part of my daily, I’m going to bring the spotlight in for checking underneath.

I’m staying postifive with this because after all it is my first grow from bag seeds. As someone mentioned earlier, these might produce hermie seeds, but this could be from a hermie seed so I could have been destined for failure. Eventually I will get the ‘sacs’ to buy real seeds. But hey, I am 500 times smarter than I was 90 days ago…all because of cannabis.

Daylight savings popped me so I’ve got about 2 hours til lights out and the girls need feeding. I’ll check in later! With pre-trim pics. Should be easier to see the sacs now.

3 Likes

Yes, @EclecticJack you and I both. This is the reason I frequent this forum. Education. I learn something everyday on here. Just starting my second grow, this next one will be better! Thank you for posting your experiences.

2 Likes

Sorry it took so long, been busy.
I cut away the pollen sacs

and the pre trim.

(no Im not drying them by fireplace heat lol)

1 Like

Your buds should have looked like this when you cut them. Don’t give up and good luck with your next grow.

I think I’m going to start partially harvesting.
my other unmentioned plant nugs look like this

But elsewhere on the same plant it looks like this

I can’t see the trichomes all that perfectly. I have a 16x loupe that is terrible. What are you using?
@durabloom

I saw a nice USB one but it was like a ghost. I went looking the next day and couldn’t find one.

Those buds need to be tight and meet each other to form a long cola. It seems like your grow room is good. Did you use fertilizer intended for buds when you set the lights to 12/12? You have to have steady hands to use those intense magnifying things. I take a really good magnifying glass and can see them so much better.

1 Like

I used Advanced Nutrients Hobbyist schedule for the GrowBloomMicro line. (I’m not promoting them or knocking them until I try a few more brands throughout the years).

I feel like I had a lot of stretch during veg so I don’t think I’m going to get my colas to match the reach this time around.
I just did a google search for “perfect trichomes”. Now I’m seeing the ‘amber’ I should be looking for. I thought that the pistols had a lot to do with the readiness, but I guess to a lesser degree.
@durabloom

drying pistils just mean look at the trichomes @EclecticJack

Most strains call for 8 weeks of flowering and most go a bit longer!

2 Likes