What size smart pot for first transplant

I have germinated seeds and have small seedlings in solo cups.
What size smart pots should i use for first transplanting

I used to go solo to 1gal then to 5 gal. It’s just easier going from the solo to your final pot size, whatever that may be.

2 Likes

Thank you for that info.

I go straight from damp toilet paper straight into my 5 gallon grow buckets. I keep it as hands free as possible. No reason to stress the plants out simply because you are transplanting. And transplanting if you are not careful can kill them. I’ve had several stems break in half.

I resolved that problem.

1 Like

Can I take my seedlings and plant into my 5gal pot sense they are just starting out

@Ginny Yeah you can. But since you already have them in a Solo cup just let them get bigger before transplanting them to a bigger pot.

Because my method of doing things may not work for you. I just keep it as simple as possible. The his is how I do things.

I drop seeds into water from 18 to 24 hours. I then transfer them to damp toilet paper upto 48 hours.

I will then put my seeds w/tap roots into my grow buckets. I place the buckets into my grow room. I generally have my HLG lights as far up as I can go in my 80” tall tent.

Then I just sit back and use a little amount of water as needed. Then after 2 weeks after they sprout, I’ll give them a little bit of nutrient feed about 3 times a week. I don’t do full strength during my whole grow cycle.

Just rinse and repeat. I’ve dialed in my Grow method and this works great for me. I don’t do Cal-Mg, pH testing and anything else outside nutrients, some sugar every 3 days, filtered out so water and that pretty much sums up how I grow.

1 Like

Welcome to the community I also go from Solo cups to 5 gallon fabric pots just don’t over water, while still small seedling an veg. stage. Good luck

Welcome to the community it is a great place to be!

I like to go from solo cups, 1-gallon plastic and then my 5 gallon smart pot. I’m really paranoid about over watering and this method helps me.

First, thanks.
What is your grow light?
I have a MH 400
I have an extra bedroom 10x10
I am using worm castings coco fiber and petilite 1 part each
I have 5 gal fabric pots filled
Can I open my door when lights are on to help with the hot air

Thanks. Can I go to a 20 gal smart pot

1 Like

@Ginny You can go to 20-gallon pots if you like. I have a couple questions to help narrow the answer. What kind of seeds are they auto or photo? If they are photo how long do you plan to veg?

1 Like

@Ginny

Fill this out too and it will help forum members answer your questions better.

COPY/PASTE the below list into your forum post.

Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so; Or post
NA (non applicable)

• What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed
  • Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF
  • Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, Troths
  • PH of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable)
  • PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable
  • Indoor or Outdoor
  • Light system
  • Temps; Day, Night
  • Humidity; Day, Night
  • Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size
  • AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,
  • Co2; Yes, No

Always try to upload a clear picture of any issues you may have to allow the community to assist you.

I have white widow, amnesias haze, Big bud and chocolates.
Does the super soil need to be warm first. And can I use a MH 400 w

Will you be trying to light your entire 10x10 room with the 400 watt MH?

Are the seeds auto or photo?

I don’t understand about the super soil being warm? It should be grow room temp. I would not want to bring it in from sitting outside in 32 degree F temps and putting my just germinated seeds in it.

Yes You can , @Ginny take in to consideration they will be a little heavy to move around especially in and out of a tent. To fill them up also be a little more pricey. Happy growing

I am a long time grower. I have always gone from Solo cup to 2 or 3 gallon. It seems if I put it straight into a 5 gallon I would wasting a lot of light illuminating empty space and the highest light strength will fall right in between the 4 five gallon pots I would use. But lots of people recommend doing it this way so I am considering it now. Any thoughts on this situation? I have never worried about transplanting in the past but always looking to improve.