What size pots to use for outdoor growing?

@Sasquatch Thanks! So I started on my window sill inside, then moved them out to shady spot for a week and then covered them with clear solo dome tops. I never got the 4" cowpots so I used solo cups. Now my question is what size do I plant them in when I start easing them into the sun? 5 gallon and then the final 15 gallon felt bag or just directly into the 15 gallon bag?

Greetings fellow Bostonian @North_East_Newbie. Bigger IS better. I current use 25 gallon fabric pots. Its all about the roots. This is a tremendous forum. Lots of experience in this forum. Great moderators. Good luck. Happy grow. :wink::v::mask::sunglasses:

3 Likes

I was just reading I was curious of the opinions , I grew alot outdoors but I never used pots. But it was different then besides pots in the middle of the woods was a dead giveaway for helicopters. Lol

1 Like

If a15 gal pot is what your going to use, put it directly in to it. I’d put the pot where you want it put your girl in it and watch it grow! If you ask me all this easing it in to the sun stuff is bs. Put it out the night before or early before the sun is full up. It will love it…

4 Likes

@Sasquatch Thank you so much. I read through your 3 Way Thread and have a question about nutrients and watering. So I germinated 6 Blue Dream sativas and then put 5 of them in solo cups on the windowsill for a week, and 1 directly into a 15 gallon felt pot outside. The one I planted directly into 15 gallon outside was 10 days ago and it’s still tiny. The others I am keeping covered with clear solo cups in semi shade outside. When I water those, I usually just spray the dome and cover the solo cup. I am using Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil but haven’t added any nutrients yet. I have the Fox Farm trio I can use when the time is right. But I was wondering how often you water yours in the early days. The 5 seedlings started coming up on April 25, so that’s almost 3 weeks ago and they are tiny. Also, when should I move them into the 15 gallon felt pots?

I watered mine about every 3 days. Window Probaly isn’t the best place for them. I planted mine into pots at 2 weeks.
You should post a picture of them so we can see what they look like.

2 Likes

Between germination and planting in pots at 2 weeks where they under lights? (I don’t have any lights) These photos show them at almost 3 weeks.

This is the one I planted directly into the 15 gallon felt bag. It’s about 1 week since I planted it.

1 Like

You have a few there that have stretched from being in the window. You need to plant them and bury a little of the stem to help them stand up.
What is the the plant with the net around it? Its in need of water badly. I have a small florescent grow light. You can buy them at Wal-Mart or online for around 35 bucks… It’s good to get them up and out of the ground and for about 2 weeks as it doesn’t supply enough light for growth.
At 3 weeks they should be a lot bigger. Not sure what your weather is like right now but I’d get the stretched one’s in a pot and set the others out side. Let the pots /cups dry out.some before watering. I water about every 3 days,feeding 1 a week for now. As they grow they’ll need more water. And nutrients. Watch your plants they will let you know when they need water. Here’s mine at 2 weeks

Those 3 are now 2 to 2 1/2 ft tall.
Here’s 1 of them.

6 Likes

Thanks Sasquatch. I put the 2 strongest seedlings into 15 gallon felt pots in the shade outside. The one with the net around it is my daughter’s and was a gift. It’s a sour diesel clone and I was just about to water it when the photo was taken.

Since these gals are so little in their big felt pots, I’m worried about overwatering. I put a gallon of RO water into each after transplanting. Should I water every 3 days or so? And when I do should I soak the whole thing? When should I add nutrients.

Thank you so much for all of your help.

This is the one I planted directly into the felt pot after germination.

2 Likes

Far as watering goes, a gallon on these young ones is a bit much. As small as they are I’d water with one of those Dixie cups full. You’ll have to water more often but small amounts. Watch your plants you’ll be able tell when they need water. I’d give the bigger ones a bit of the grow big to get them growing… Any thing you have that’s 2 weeks
old and up you can feed in my opinion.
Increase amount of water as they grow.

3 Likes

Good. The ffof doesn’t need any fert additions for 5-6 weeks. Plenty in the soil till then.
Water only. :wink::v:

4 Likes

I didn’t see that @oldguy . I’ve heard that from others on this forum. So I got some and planted 2 of my girls in it. Compared to my other plants they were lagging behind. FoxFarms does say you can add nutes to it (on their site). And judging from the pictures @autoregulator they need some help to get going.

3 Likes

Right now it’s building roots under the surface. It’s a big container, it’s going to take a while. Eventually you should see some rapid growth above the soil.

Of course they do, they want you to buy more product.

3 Likes

Thanks @Drinkslinger It rained a little today (I’m in Los Angeles)
Here is the one I planted 10 days ago directly in the 15 gallon:

It’s TINY but I will be patient.

The other 5 sativas I started in my kitchen window 3 weeks ago and by the time I took them outside and covered them with domes, they were leggy and weak. (I guess I did need lights after all - lol) I decided to transplant 3 directly into the 15 gallon felt pots and 2 into 3 gallon pots to try to build up roots before transplanting. I realize they should be bigger by now but at least I got them outside and into the sun. I think they look okay. Now I will wait…

1 Like

That’s all well and good @Drinkslinger . Im saying my experience with it, it didn’t. Mine after 2 weeks were half the size and wimpy compared to one’s getting nutes.,

1 Like

So I got them outside and domed them and kept them in the shade for a week and now they are in the sun. These are the only two that have survived. These are almost a month old! Please take a look and let me know if you have any ideas for how to strengthen the roots, or any advice on how to help them grow.

I germinated 2 more seeds and will plant those directly in 15 gallon felt pots outside tonight.

This is a 30 go with 20 30 or even 50 they are not as big as you would thing you want a tree or a plant?I want weed trees

2 Likes

I go with 25 gallon mesh pots for outside. Anything smaller is TOO small… Great results. Learned a lot last grow. All to be put in my spring grow here in Boston. Better/ higher quality grow coming up. Any suggestions for a feminized seeds. Short flower window here. Thanks to all. Good luck

2 Likes

50 gal smart pots.

2 Likes

As a newbie out door grower this summer, I’m currently using 7 gal grow bags for my female Purple Aliens, however I’m switching to 15 gal grow bags shortly. These are 7gal bags in the pictures, 4 weeks old. Very healthy, used FFOF and FFHF with some nutrients. Fishbone Meal and Brewer’s Yeast diluted in water 5tsp per 1.3 gallons. There loving the nutrients or nutes as they call them now.

Sincerely,
The Angry Possum