What seed types thrive outdoors in sunny SoCal

I’m looking for seeds recommendations primarily for medical, insomnia/pain, I prefer taste of Indica’s, evening medicating. I am in Southern Cal, SF Valley (95+ summer heat, great growing conditions). I grow outdoors in my vegetable garden. I want a variety of strains, that will thrive in my grow conditions

What seed(s) family do you suggest?
It is a pain in the butt to monitor male plants so is it worth the extra cash to get the ‘female/hermaphrodite’ seeds only?
How would I be able to pollinate a few buds to get seeds for future growth?
What month should I plant in sunny SoCal?.

@Myfriendis410 How about a little help for a fellow West Coaster?

I’m on the East Coast @ace4you

I’m just South of you in San Diego and I grew outside last summer. The indicas I planted actually got too much direct sun and got burned. The sativas did much better. If I planted indicas again, I would use some light shade cloth for the midday part of the sun’s path.

I would buy feminized seeds so you don’t waste half of your 6 plant legal limit on males. If you want to continue a strain, you could always clone it. Very easy to do, and then you don’t need to buy more. You could buy Northern Lights if you want strong medicine. If you plan on a regular summer grow, buy photoperiod seeds. If you want to do a more continuous operation, then autos might be useful.

If you grow photoperiod plants they will finish in late September or October. Plan to plant according to how big you want them to get. If you are trying to hide them between corn rows, or something then you want small plants: Plant in May. If you can go hog wild and grow trees, then plant in March!

BTW: We are having a major caterpillar problem all up and down the state. Spray BT or spinosad on a weekly basis until a week before harvest and save your self some heartbreak.

That’s all good information @ace4you. I’ve done Gold Leaf, Sour Diesel, Og Kush, White Widow and others and they all did well. Caterpillars were awful. The Cabbage Louper moth was the main culprit. I ended up using insect screen.

You should site your plants so they get direct/indirect sunlight for at least 8 hours and daylight longer than 12 hours. I would plan on using pots in case you have to move them. And there are a lot of reasons to move them.

Basically you live in the most benign climate possible for mj.

All Great information, thanks buds. @Myfriendis410 what size pots and what soil mix would you suggest. I’m now thinking I need to have my plants mobile.

The size of the pot is going to be based on how large your plants are. 15 gallon is still mobile (barely) for my 60 year old ass, which will grow a 5’ high bush. 30 gallon is common too but you will want a dolly to move that!

Fox Farms soils, either Ocean Forest or Happy Frog are very popular but if you are careful you can make do at your local nursery center. Just look for natural ingredients with no fertilizer or anything that says timed release or moisture control haha. You want things like bat guano, worm castings etc. This isn’t because we’re a bunch of back to nature folks here (necessarily! Lol) but the finished product is much more pleasant without chemical fertilizers. It really makes a HUGE difference.

@Myfriendis410 Do you germinate using paper towels, than directly to soil? I see these ‘jiffy’ cups and wonder which is going to be the best method since i’m paying for seeds and don’t want to waste.

I use distilled water setting on my cable box for warmth. I soak until the tap root is showing and plant directly into a starter medium. I use coco but peat pellets and rock wool works too. There are a couple of ground peat starting soils that work too but are somewhat hard to get moisture into.

Get a spray bottle and some clear domes to cover the seedlings.

Once you are ready, tag me and I will be happy to help.

You mention spinosad, will ;safe soap’ work as well since I use it for vegetables.

Not really. Home Depot and Lowes have spinosad, EG. Montery Insect Garden Spray. It’s derived directly from a bacteria. like BT (which they also have), so it is harmless for humans and has no effect at all on the plant. They actually use it on organic veggies and tobacco, up until a week before harvest so it is very safe.

BT is pretty much just for caterpillars since they have to eat it to get clogged up and die. Spinosad is neurotoxic for insects, so simple contact will do it. It doesn’t clog up your plants stomata like soaps. It also has some systemic effects so you can spray it on the plant and the plant will carry it to unsprayed parts of the plant. Works good on aphids, mites, and thrips. Probably kills ladybugs though, although biological control for an infestation is much too slow to save your crop, unless you can put a pint of ladybugs in a little greenhouse.

Nicotine is also an insecticide that is quite effective but dangerous for humans.

@ace4you you will love growing outside in SoCal (me East Co. San Diego) Any strain would most likely do super fine. We have the perfect growing weather here but remember, esp if you use buckets to grow in, do not let them dry out, I had to deep water 3 xs a day esp last summer when it got so hot and when it cooled off in the evening I would mist them. It’s hard not to love socal for growing outside :woman_farmer:t4:

Your browning leaves are from a mineral deficiency not too much sun. I grow outdoors and they have always done better the more sun they got and that’s plenty here in SoCal. Check your symptoms against the chart available here to discover which mineral is deficient. I set mine out as soon as they pop serrated leaves. They no longer need to be shaded at all. You will avoid the light timing trap that many new growers fall into and let mother nature take care of them. Too much light comes from applying too much ARTIFICIAL LIGHT when the sun would not ordinarily be present. This will throw the plants into early flower and ruin the harvest. AND NO artificial source of light can compete with natural sun light for spectrum, timing or strength. GO OUTSIDE YOUNG MAN!

Nope, I grew five different strains outside last summer. Same soil, same nutrients, same water, everything the same and the two indicas were badly sun burned but the sativas did great. Full natural sun every day. I had no idea what was doing it until I read several sources talking about indicas not standing full sun. Sativas grow in sunny Mexico. Some Indicas grow in the jungles of southeast Asia.

Indicas are noted to be best from MOUNTAINOUS areas not jungles. Why? because they are closer to the sun. Sativas are noted for being best near the equator. Why? because they are closer to the sun! I’m sorry my friend but the sun is not your problem. If you better describe your symptoms I’m sure the community can advise you as to the nutrient/water, bugs or disease trouble your experiencing. Too hot is a possibility by being in an environment (close to a block wall that holds heat for example) but not from the sun as long as your girls can breathe well, the more sun the merrier they will be.