What’s going on with my plants?!

They do look really healthy. By the time you harvest, they’re going to fill that yard.

A few dying bottom leaves is nothing to worry about, but several a day are concerning. Transplant, keep an eye on your input/run-off pH/ppm, and water them when needed even if it’s twice a day.

2 Likes

No you can use the same plastic pan to catch run off check wrench and go to next one. Not a bad idea to have your Autos in a 5 or 7 gallon fabric pot. Get your pH readings on the runoff adjust water in accordingly.

1 Like

Lol the feminized plants didn’t get these problems on the leaves when they were at their early stage so it got me worried when the autos did. The autos are only in 1.2 L pots but will be transplanted this weekend.

Yeah, those are actually 6.2 gal pots or something for my feminized ladies. Some of them have grown 20+ Inches in two weeks (no exaggeration), but the yellowing leaves at the bottom are what are concerning me. If not for those, I wouldn’t be as worried, and it’s literally from one day to the next. They just keep popping up and that seems like a problem, and now they’re starting to go a little higher than the bottom leaves.

I’ll try the flushing and test the runoff, and I should transplant ALL my plants? Not just the autos? The truth is I grew several several years ago but I just put them in pots, gave them water, pesticides and nutrients here and there and they were beautiful. But now I’ve been looking up all these things on how to treat your plants best, keep them healthy, and maximize yield (with nutrients and pH and whatnot) and am having all these problems! Ironyyy

I really appreciate all your help, everyone. Thank you so much

2 Likes

Its a whole learning experience. Environmentally things change. And each plant (same genetics or be them totally diff landraces) all grow differently. Id definitely transplant them all

I will do that. Definitely gonna be a trick since they’re about/almost 4 feet tall.

These pictures are just to show how high up the yellowing is going now when it was the very bottom.

This picture is a WTF because this happened since this morning. I don’t know if you can see how dramatic/droopy/yellow these are from the picture. I’m watering now

When was last watering? And did u start the flush?

1 Like

Ok I need to know are you just watering with nuits and not plain water every 1-2 feedings

From the look of it they are over watered let the soil dry up till second knuckle on pointer finger deep is dry as a bone :bone:

Not neutral pH! PH 6.5.

Transplant first, then mess with the pH.

@BudzAldrin

That is classic NITROGEN DEFICIENCIE Here is a pic of it

th2XV71QYK

thJ9CM2H1T

First off, some interesting, basic facts…

Your marijuana plants need 18 essential elements. They get carbon, hydrogen,
and oxygen from atmosphere and water. They get the 15 other elements via their
roots. These elements are sometimes grouped as major, secondary, and trace elements.
The groupings are determined by how much of each element is needed–some are needed
a lot more than others, but all are necessary.

The major elements are nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium. The so-called secondary
elements are magnesium, calcium, silicon, and sulfur. Some people group these seven
elements as “macronutrients” because they’re required in larger weight amounts than
the remaining essential elements your plants need. Those are called micronutrients,
and they’re very important even though your plants don’t need as much of them. We’re
talking about iron, zinc, copper, molybdenum, boron, manganese, cobalt, and chlorine.

Until recently, silicon wasn’t even included in the essential element list, but modern
research on marijuana plants indicates your plants use silicon to build strong cell walls,
resist pests and diseases, and to create THC glands.

Nutrients problems most likely to reduce growth rate, THC percentages, and harvest
weight often involve nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, and calcium. But problems with
deficiency or excess of any of the 18 essential elements is likely to cause serious
trouble for your marijuana plants.

How do you know your marijuana plants have nutrient deficiency or excess? Look at your leaves.
If they’re not lime green, upright, and looking like the perfect marijuana leaf photo
accompanying this article, your leaves are trying to tell you something.

But here’s a twist…it may not be your organic fertilizers, soil, or hydroponics nutrients
that are actually causing the problem. Signs of nutrient element shortages or excess may
merely be a symptom of the real cause of the problem. For example, low temperatures
interfere with nutrient uptake. So you can’t solve a temperature-related nutrient
deficiency problem by increasing your nutrients dosing…you solve the temperature
problem instead, so your marijuana plants can take in what they need.

The Right Amount of Nitrogen
Makes Your Marijuana Healthy and Green

Nitrogen makes up 78% of the dry volume of our atmosphere and plants need to
capture it if they want to grow at all.

No doubt you already know nitrogen is the big N in the N-P-K on your hydroponics
nutrients bottles, and it’s a big, important ingredient for your marijuana growing success.

Unless your plants are in the final weeks of flowering phase, yellow leaves
(especially lower leaves) are signs of trouble, and the troubles are most often
a nitrogen deficiency. It starts with the bottom leaves and works its way up until only
the newest growth is green.

On the other hand, if your marijuana plants are overdosing on nitrogen,
the leaves will be extremely dark green.

Either way, nitrogen problems mean big trouble for your marijuana plants because nitrogen is
absolutely necessary for plant survival because nitrogen is a primary elemental support for
protein synthesis, growth, leaf development, metabolism, and root health.

If you oversupply nitrogen, you get marijuana plants that are too tall, thin, and gangly.
It’s harder to get successful flowering from plants that have been overfed nitrogen.

If you see that the very tips of your leaves are yellow, that’s an almost sure sign of nitrogen
deficiency, which occurs most often during a fast-moving grow phase or when you’ve switched
to an improperly-configured bloom fertilizer during flowering. Many brands of hydroponics
nutrients do not contain the right ratios of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium, or they
contain the elements in forms that are not easily available to your marijuana plants.

These potential nutrients problems are especially harmful in flowering phase, when your plants
only have 12 hours to run their photosynthesis metabolism.

Nitrogen deficiencies first show up as leaf tip yellowing, especially on lower leaves.
Then it spreads to affect entire leaves, and moves up the plant. When you do research
on marijuana strains before you buy seeds or clones, take note of the strains that are
said to be heavy feeding. Those will likely want higher parts per million of nutrients,
and they are hogs for eating nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorus. In bloom phase, your
marijuana plants want less nitrogen, and more potassium and phosphorus.

The only time you tolerate signs of nitrogen deficiency is when you’re more than halfway
through flowering phase. During those closing weeks, your marijuana plants are focusing on
floral production so they sucks stored nitrogen out of leaves rather than doing the work of

That’s why you don’t need to add extra nitrogen (beyond the amount found in a properly-configured
flowering base nutrients product) to flowering crops after they’ve passed the midway point of
flowering cycle: excess nitrogen during flowering negatively affects bud development, taste, and aroma.

Fixing Nutrients Problems to Save Your Marijuana Plants

In later articles in this series, you’ll see a more detailed program for analyzing and fixing
marijuana nutrients problems but it’s important to understand a couple of things right away.
One thing to know is that organic or “natural” fertilizers often fail to remediate a deficiency
fast enough because they aren’t immediately bioavailable to your marijuana plants.

If you’re absolutely sure your marijuana root zone pH, grow environment, water, and other factors
are what they should be, and your plants are still showing signs of nitrogen deficiency in soilless
hydroponics marijuana growing, it almost has to be that something’s wrong with your base nutrients.

What are your remedies? If you’re growing in soilless hydroponics using synthetic hydroponics
nutrients, you have it pretty easy.

First, make sure your pH meter is working perfectly (or use the new pH Perfect base nutrients
that automatically buffer and adjust pH to the ideal sweet spot). Flush your
plants (I prefer
Final Phase or Flora Kleen), dump your reservoir, fill with reverse osmosis
water, and feed with
quality hydroponics base nutrients. When I say “quality hydroponics
nutrients,” I mean a reliable
brand of hydroponics base nutrients other than the brand you were using when
the nutrients deficiency
occurred.

You can also experiment with slight up and down adjustments of nutrients
strength (ppm) or nutrients
water pH and see if that corrects the problems. For example, many of us
follow the dosage instructions
on nutrients bottles and end up with 500+ ppm during flowering. In some cases,
that’s too much, and what’s
really strange is that using too much nutrients can result in nutrient deficiencies.

So try changing your dosage 50-100 ppm in either direction, and see if it makes a
difference.
Try adjusting you pH from 6.2 to 6.0. Different nutrients interact with root zone
material and
water differently, so that you might get absorption of 12 elements, but the pH is
wrong for three
other ones. Even small adjustments in pH (unless you’re using pH Perfect base
nutrients in which
case it doesn’t matter), can affect individual element’s absorption.

Wrote By
Stitch
Posted By
Garrigan65

2 Likes

And the Lit man comes thru in the clutch. Nice to see you Big G

Yes, her plants are hungry because they’re probably getting rootbound and the pH is waaaay off. A pH of 6-6.2 in soil is bad advice.

@BudzAldrin

@blackthumbbetty Is correct 1

A cannabis plant can start showing rootor nutrient problems when it’s kept in a too-small container or if it’s become root-bound. These root problems can cause the plant to become droopy, or show unexpected leaf symptoms or deficiencies (such as spots or yellowing leaves). Whenever literally everything else is right but you’re still experiencing these problems, it may be a sign you need to transplant.

3 Likes

You got the heavy hitters and pros to help you right out of the gate ! Some solid advice right there . dancing-to-music-smiley-emoticon

1 Like

Phew! A lot happened since I was gone lol thank you everyone.

Okay so I watered before seeing everyone’s replies. I watered them with 6.5 pH water (hope that was ok!) and the water DEFINITELY helped. They’re already perkier and some branches are stronger than when I first touched them today. The water made a BIG difference. It’s over 100 today so I wouldn’t be surprised if they need more tomorrow. I normally give them a gallon, today I gave them two. The drainage still seems right. I don’t know if you can tell as well as I can from the picture, but the difference is huge. Here are some before and after:

These last two are the area that I WTF’d because it was so dramatically droopy just from earlier in the day to the afternoon. Keep in mind I pulled off the deadest, saddest leaves:

PurpNgold and Bigdaddy- save for those 2 weeks where I just gave them water, I only give nutrients once a week, the rest of the week is just water. It was every few days but this past week has been so hot it was every day or every other day. I don’t think overwatering is an issue, though I’m no expert. From one day to the next, the soil was DRY AF, even digging down a little ways, and when I would water, before giving them their entire gallon there was runoff coming out the drainage holes. I figured that meant they were super thirsty.

Garrigan - My plants are outdoor and in soil. I wondered about nitrogen deficiency because of the way they were yellowing, but they haven’t been curling under at the tip or anything, which I had read was a sign of it. Is that just a more serious symptom? With how my plants are looking and how much/how quickly it’s yellowing, you think it’s nitrogen? Would you suggest foliar feeding them nitrogen? Here are some various pictures. These leaves are between two plants, one fem white widow and one fem gold leaf:

I made a post a week or two ago asking about my roots because I saw they were poking out the bottom, but they’re already in 5+ gallon pots and so young that the general response was they should be fine unless the holes get covered in roots. I just went to get pictures of the roots poking out the holes though, and they’re not there like they were before, which is weird.

So it’s too late to do anything about the water I already gave them today, but what pH should I give them until I transplant this weekend?

If I transplant, do I still need to do the flush or am I essentially starting fresh? After transplanting, I should check the pH of the RUNOFF and not the soil itself? (I have electronic pH meters, one for soil, one for water).

Should I try foliar feeding some nitrogen? If so, does anyone have a recommendation on what specifically to use for this?

I think I covered everyone’s responses…Thanks again everybody. Can’t tell you what a help you all are!

O yes! They look much much better! A good 6.5 drink was exactly what the doctor ordered. As u stated, you had fed and saw no change. Sounds like Betty had it. Off pH in the root zone means she couldnt eat. So two big things.

Did you check the pH of her runoff? If not always do. If so what was it? Sorry if u said it already.

Do u own a ppm meter? If so check ppms of nute water before feed and runoff after. If not buy u a cheapy. $9 tops. Its amazing. Ppm’s are the parts per million (of nutrients) in your water and a good way to check if they are eating or not.

The 6.5 probably helped her eat whatever you fed before and she couldnt access.

After you transplant no flush really needed yet. Usually (depending on nute type) a couple flushes throughout the grow are advised. Definitely between veg and bloom nute switch. But the new dirt should essentially be a fresh start.

Hey Purp! Long time no talk! How are you man?

Man life is good my Bear faced bro. Hows it going in yo world? U still got that highly tuned grow factory rolling? O i found a couple Black DOG! Be here in a week or so

1 Like

Things are crazy for me right now. Been working 60+ hour weeks for the last couple months and I need a vacation haha. Glad to see you back my dude. Don’t be a stranger :wink::v::bear:

2 Likes