What light to use for Seedlings

Hello everyone. Just wondering, i have an apollo 600w hps light. Should I buy a CFL light for seedling process or use what I have?

That or if you can just get a 600w MH light to use until you want to flower then switch back to the HPS

Is the ballast just a HPS or can you use a MH bulb?

I have a mh 600w bulb. I’m just wondering if I’m just wasting electricity using it.

Not wasting money, the spectrum that the MH gives off is better for plants in the seedling and vegetative stage and even the first couple of weeks of flower then the HPS has the better light spectrum for flowerimg. How old or big are your seedlings?

1 Like

For me, I use the MH through the vegetative stage and through the first couple of weeks after they enter the flower stage until late they are done with the “flower stretch” then I’ll swap the MH out for my HPS bulb

2 Likes

I agree with @Hawkeye_diesel the MH bulb is best for veg stage of what you have. I use LED for veg and flower and use CFL for seedlings but have used my LED for seedlings also. It is a matter of what you have and personal preference. Just remember to keep the light far enough to not burn the seedlings.

2 Likes

Still waiting for my seeds. Can’t wait tho

1 Like

Ok thank you

1 Like

Should I use all 600w or drop it down to 300w

Is it a dimmable ballast? I ran mine on 50% power for the first couple weeks then turned it up to 75% and then now I just put it on 100%. I’m probably gonna be switch it back until I get my fans installed and can control the temperature better.
For height, try this. Use the back of your hand and hold it down by your plant if it’s too hot for your hand, then it’s too hot for your plant. Hope that makes sense

2 Likes

Another easy trick is use a tray and dome to start to reduce light intensity place white paper on top for first few days then remove once they are established leave dome on for few more days opening vents gradually by about 4" you should be ready to pot at that point they should also be ready for life uncovered at 300w and in few days 600w

1 Like

@Frescal

Hope this helps

T5 grow lights are one of the most easily available types of grow lights and are used to grow many different types of plants. As a result, they’re available in many garden and home improvement stores.

T5s are much bigger/wider than CFLs and usually come as part of a panel, but they can still be kept mere inches away from your plants without worrying about burning them.

Will

@Frescal

What will @garrigan62 said!

I found a slick LED under cabinet light that is built on the t5 size of 21 inches. I got it on Amazon delivered for under $20-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CGZG6FY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The regular t5 and fixture were twice that much and this little guy really puts out some light.

1 Like