What kind of lights

Because it’s not 1000 watt. Each panel pulls around 150 watts at 100% on the switch.
I have 4 of them after researching PPFD and spectrum charts.
I like to try and produce the best I can on a budget.
This guys starting out with limited funds.
I’m using them because I can’t afford the latest and greatest lights on the market.

3 Likes

For a 4x4 tent I would aim for a minimum of 350-400 watts… that would be my absolute rock bottom fir LEDs
Im only talking in watts because its what we all understand… common language.

2 Likes

Reason i recommended the 135 is because they stated they were doing one plant. Like i said if you wanna fill the tent up go the with 650r. Yes the 225 is the next step up, but as @Cannabian had mentioned that light isn’t enough for the entire tent. to fill the entire tent you’re gonna spend some money my friend

1 Like

Niw keep in mind, many of the Amazon sellers are using sales techniques that are predatorial… they say 1000 and it makes the buyer think 1000 watt. Or in fine print will say replaces a 1000 watt hps which is absolute BS because they just add that to get away with false advertising. Other companies in this fast paced market do the same thing… theybsay similar too or replaces or call something a model 1500 something like that, its very misleading and catches people all the time. Its the biggest scam in the growing business going.

2 Likes

looks like im gonna have to up my light budget to 300 dollars
also would a smaller tent be bettor for growing 1 plant

Depends on what you’re expecting. I don’t need pounds. And i don’t have space for anything bigger than a 2x2. If you’re wanting to pull serious weight you need space for that. Maybe you want one plant scrog style across whole tent for massive yield? Maybe you just want one plane with room to work in the tent? Just depends what you want my friend

2 Likes

Thats cool man… Im saying that in real world terms, generally you will pay about a buck and change per watt. Doesnt matter if you buy that in individual panels or in 1 panel. The difference may be in componet parts. Not all fixtures are created equally. It would take a long time to make comparisons but often its better to spend 1 time and get the right thing. Either way you will still spend the buck and change per watt, Id just prefer to get the better driver with it… and less power cords etc.

3 Likes

The pro is about to answer!

1 Like

For a 4x4 your looking at two HLG 260W XL QB V2 RSPEC, or a HLG 600 RSPEC. It cost a lot to properly light a 4x4, the hlg 600 is on sale for $699 American, 260xl kits cost $369 each.

3 Likes

1 plant can easily fill a 4x4 tent, it all depends on grow style. I would suggest you look around this forum and see what others are doing and maybe if you lime what you see, ask that person by placing an @kameirus in there to summon them. Perhaps they will mentor you. I hope you understand Im not trying to be difficult, I really hate seing people spend their money poorly. Its so easy to to do in this crazy competitive grow market.

2 Likes

If you only plan on growing 1 plant then a 4x4 tent is way overkill. A smaller tent would cost a lot less to properly light.

While the HLG 225 is a nice light, it’s kinda old tech at this point, for a a little more, then HLG 260w is a much better light and would properly light half the 4x4, use discount code of dude save 10% at the HLG website.

But as others have said, all depends on your needs and expectations of yield, how much do you want/need to grow?

5 Likes

@Hellraiser this man knows what he’s talking about. Don’t get me wrong @Cannabian grows monsters too!

2 Likes

Thanks @Dave101 thats an honest assessment of what it will cost… and if you look at that figure, if each watt was a buck and change hoe much should that cost?

3 Likes

honestly im wanting to get 2 or 3 oz out of 1 plant, its only for personal use. and just wanna do 1 plant now in case i manage to screw it up lol

3 Likes

I just care that yall arent goung to end up a statistic… dont get ripped off! Spend your money how you see fit but be warned… not all lights are created equal and you will pay for a decent light.

2 Likes

I totally missed that you were talking about 1 plant.
You don’t need 4 lights unless you want to fill the 4x4. You might want to go with a SpiderFarmer SF1000 (no, it’s not 1000 watts) around $150 covers a 2x2 area.

1 Like

I look at these lights as an investment, I dont just grow dope with em, I grow food too… lettuce, tomatoes and all my starts for the spring plantings… these keep our family in lettuce and table crops all winter. That adds up! You can grow food with your dope!

Case in point, this lovely lemon jalapeño plant or these cannabis starts!

4 Likes

Yeah seems a 4x4 is much bigger than what you need for your purpose and drives up lighting costs (and everything else). A 2x2 tent could easily grow 4 oz every 3.5 - 4 months, problem is the shortness of 2x2 tents (usually 4 feet tall) can cause issues when plants get too tall. 3x3 tents can make plant management much easier as they are usually at least 6’ tall and you could throw 1 HLG 260w in it and be done and have a very nice setup that will easily grow the quantities you want and more if you decide to.

5 Likes

Good point! And yeah that will get your costs down. Remember though the buck doesnt stop there. You need an inline fan, a carbon filter, a simple controller line an inkbird, preferably an EC pen and a PH pen, plant food, ph up and ph down. A couple 5 gallon plastic pails hardware store variety… access to chlorine free water. Or at least let it stand for 24 hours to off gas. Pots and grow medium. So price all this out and then you will have a final budget.
Oh you need to decide on growing style, like coco vs peat based mediums or hydro, or drain to waste etc. If personally go with what others use like maybe Fox Farms pre made soils for my first go or 3 lol. Then folks can help you through it.

3 Likes

You’re going to need larger than 150 watt hps for 4x4. I would look for more like a 600 watt hps in that space, and probably get it with air cooled hood. Not sure what the most budget friendly would be, but it’s probably going to be more than $125. Leds thst are actually going to produce the amount of light you want for 4x4 are going to cost more.

As others suggest, smaller space is probably more ideal for you.

5 Likes