What kind of lights

im new here and im gonna start my first indoor grow, i was gonna go with a hps 150 light, or a led light
just not sure which is bettor.
i have a 48x48x78 tent, im only doing 1 plant and it will be gelato autoflower,
im in ohio and it will be setup in my basement

i have 125.00 budget for a light and will i need a second light for germanation/seedlings.
any information will be greatly appreciated

2 Likes

315w PGZX CMH fixture from Cultilux you will thank me later. About $150 maybe and should come with 3000K PGZX tube and a 4000K PGZX tube, but its no light on the market that can out veg a Lec CMH with the Ultra-Violet putout is the highest as for now in this day and time I think unless it done changed again. I started with Led but many of them don’t come with Ultra-Vioket diodes, but any Led cheap with a good red, blue, white, and ultra violet combo will work also, but no fixture out veg or frost buds better in my rookie opinion, except the sun :sunny: !

2 Likes

HLG 135w rspec if your just doing one plant.

3 Likes

@Breezy that unit run about what $899 maybe or since the new models came out the price drop on the old technology, im asking Sir, I have not been keeping up with the market as much as I once did when I first started this journey marathon !

1 Like

LOL not the one I recommended. You can find them for around 200. Now the 650 scorpion :drooling_face: that’s like 1200

2 Likes

@kameirus check out Dr.Bruce Bugbee, I got the once in a life time opportunity go spend a full side by side test grow at the University grow lab, and what an experience that was to sit in and absorb and take notes from that guy. He like Albert Einstein for plants :leaves: !

2 Likes

@Breezy seriously, what the actual name and model name on that unit. I in the market for adding another Led technology spectrum with what im running. I think I have the prime rib of a setup for some of the most frostiest senses buds, I’ve been commercial growing the last 4 years I believe since I left the forum as a daily rookie newbie. It all started for me right here and man what a hell of ride its been, I’ve smoked and grown some of the most print potent landrace pheno genetics man can find. I’ve smoked :dash: some of the finest aged buds I think I will ever smoke, but this brother cure his buds in a "Cigar Humador " at his crib and one said he used a cellular at his parents place, and brother I did not need "Elon Musk Space X " to get to Pluto you hear me. That was to high, but the plant buds looks some incredible, it something you keep in trophy case just to shoe how elegant and pretty it was bred and crossed to final product. If you ever, try to get 3-5 seeds of Love Portion #9, are Fruity Pebbles, you will than understand d my lingo !

2 Likes

The 1000 given your budget. If you can find another $100, the 2000 would be the way to go. You would have half of the tent covered for $229

2 Likes

Id say save yer money, and buy a proper light. HLG. You cannot grow good pot with a 200 dollar light. You can veg it for that but your buds are gonna be larfy and small. Your terps will suck and a 4x4 space with a puny light is not even worth it. Save your money, borrow some money, steal some from your moms wallet… just dont waste it on the most fundamental piece of equipment in the grow.

8 Likes

I mean we see this all the time on this forum… people desperate to grow some dope… they spend more on seed and fertilizer than on their lighting. If you can afford a good light, you cant afford to grow indoor pot its really that simple.

4 Likes

which HLG do you recommend

1 Like

Ecen the smallest one they make would be far better than cheapin out! Go to their web site and do some research. Then, when you are done tag @dbrn32 lije I just did… ( hes gonna hate me for it lol ) and ask him. But seriously, the cheapest reasonable light you can grow dope with is an hps gasser! The bigger the better. They cost a lot to operate and generate a shit ton of heat, so your ventilation costs will go up. I hate to say it but growing dope indoors aint cheap, it has some startup cost, but if you do it right you wont be saying… man I shoulda bought that other light but all my money is into this one now! You can try to sell a shitty light but nope not goona happen. Most use em for seedlings.

2 Likes

BLOOMSPECT S1000 LED Grow Light for Indoor Plants Full Spectrum with Samsung LEDs and Sosen Driver, Dimmable 1000 Watt LED Plant Growing Lamps Veg Flower for Greenhouse 2x2 ft Grow Tent https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CZCDYR3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_YMMQDGFBZNF3MV554PR7

I bought 4 of these for under $330
I believe that would be great for your tent too.

1 Like

For just one plant the hlg 135 if you’re trying to fill the tent the 650 scorpion haha. The brand is HLG Horticulture Lighting Group. You could even throw a 260 in there.
I’m in a 2x2 with the HLG 135.

2 Likes

Why would you recommend a fixture that says its 1000 watts but clearly is not! These cheap assed lights and the people that sell em should be arrested for misleading advertising. Seriously! 4 × 1000 watts for under 400 bucks? You believe that? Not a chance! Even if that was true, 4000 watts would require 2 separate 20 amp circuits to operate and would fry a 4x4 tent.
Please people do some research and dont give bad advice.

4 Likes

I ran the avg PPFD and DLI for the sonofarm and they are every bit as good as HLG,

2 Likes

Yeah but thats a 110 watt fixture! You would want 3 minimum for flowering… I mean just going off wattage and thats still under powered. It would work sorta though. So with 3 of em its still 370 bucks?

1 Like

would this be a step up from the 135 or no

1 Like

You have to bear in mind that we are also talking about the components like driver quality that you are getting. Some are more efficient, make less heat and more photons. Many if the diodes are older and were bought in bulk at a sell off price. I think HLG is a pretty reputable company, I dont own their lights and perhaps never will because the next fixure I own Ill build.

1 Like

Bare minimum! But yes… that would be a pretty fair starting light. It will good for veg and only moderate and I mean barely moderate for flowering.