What is wrong with my plants in South Florida

@S.floridaswampman I’m in FL Too,have no idea what Muck you are talking about, I’m Roughly in Crystal River. Not sure where you talking about?
I Will Be talking to you i the future

1 Like

I live near Davie, Florida, or Unincorporated Fort Lauderdale. Muck is soil where swamps where at one point in time, but they dug deep canals to clear the wster to build house, highways, ect. If you live in a housing tract, then you will not find muck. Usually in development’s here they dig a lake, canals to bave sand to make foundations for the houses. Have you ever been in a Swamp Buggy, or an Airboat? That dark black greasy mud is muck. It’s where thousands of years water covered the land, and dead, bugs,plant matter, animals have settled. Man comes along, Eisenhower’s Administration, drains the swamp and the soil is muck when irritated. It will overdose your plants with Nitrgen if too much is used. I grow organically, so I add accordingly. I cut back when getting ready to start the budding process, and start adding other thing like hard wood Ash, ect. to raise the P & K. Ask anything because no questions are dumb questions. Socrates was an idiot in his personal life being forced to drink Hemlock, but he was a great Philosopher. He wrote something that goes something like this, " A fool is one who thinks he/she has mastered a subject". They stop listening/learning. I love this place because of the info

4 Likes

people’s feedback

I live about 1 1/2 hours north of there, Come from Wisconsin
I Had to be about 18 when I Seen this on a Crapper stall “He Who Know’s All, Is A Fool For His Wisdom Has Ceased”
Just Stuck with me for 40yrs

3 Likes

You have that muck too. You know how you can be walking by a river, lake or pond and hit that black gummy mud under the sand? That’s muck.

I know you also have it around your mangroves on the Gulf, but I don’t know what you would do about the salts in the coastal muck.

1 Like

“That muck” is how we got started chatting @FloridaSon, Ocklawaha soil, Hahahaa. That muck is some good stuff in small quantities @S.FloridaSwampman. I mix it into my soil mix as well.

2 Likes

I think it ends in he has quit learning/untrachable.
My recollection stinks. You read it on a crapper, but the wisdom stuck with you, so Case and Point. Some very intelligent people on here.

2 Likes

Budbrother, I was starting to get the impression people think I am crazy. It’s great like you wrote in many different applications, but too much will O.D. plant with N. I had to start Blueberry with seedling soil, and then transplant to my concoction. IGLM sent me new seeds, and the info to get it to propagate.

1 Like

I mix my soil in layers to avoid the hotness for a several weeks. I mix really good and add some black strap also

I have to get back to work, but thanks to you guys I have a smile on my face. Unless you live here, and used muck It can sound like your selling a magic elixir during the migration west period of time. Josey Wales & The Carpetbagger in the Clint Eastwood movie. Have a good Day, and thank again for everything Florida Gents

3 Likes

I have to go, but what is black strap? I will read later…

Raw Molasses

1 Like

When you google “Earthgrow” and the 4th thing that comes up is a youtube video telling you why NOT to use the stuff, and really bad reviews after that, then the problem may well be identified.

Not all potting compost is the same, as I found out to my cost, and after almost killing a young plant thanks to me NOT reading labels and planting it into stuff that was way too “hot”, the lump of housebrick that came out whilst filling up the pot was a bit of a giveaway on the quality of the stuff, full of branches and everything, so, as there was still “green” so therefore signs of life, she was transplanted into a weaker NPK “bio” compost and the recovery was seen within 2 days, as previously yellow leaves started going green again. After 2 months of “rehabilitation”, and my best attempts to kill her by breaking off branches, she’s now flowering so a “lost cause” does look like something viable after all.

And that was all because of buying cheap, and not the cheapest, compost which had WAY to many nutrients for young plants, the stuff I use now, am not in the US so the brand will be useless for you, has my plants and tomatoes growing almost ferally, everything loves the stuff. A lesson learned, read the labels, go for the “softest” you can find as you can always add nutrients much more easily than remove them. I learned that the hard way, that’s for sure, and the cost difference may not be as much as you think.

1 Like

Wow. No way. I grew up in Hollywood. Went to high school in FT lauderdale. Small world. Have u been there long? Were u there when 6 flags water park was there? I worked as a lifeguard there many moons ago.

2 Likes

You Live in Florida?

That’s pretty cool. My family left from down there when I was 5 because of not liking the changes they saw coming.

We lived in Lauderhill Estates, which was nice 44yrs ago. Went to Gold Coast Christian Academy along with my young aunts and uncles.

The last time I was down there was sad. I was young when we left, but old enough to recognize that much had changed for the worst.

Your roots will naturally search for the more nutrient rich soil and build there.

1 Like

Wow. It really is a small world. I went to saint Thomas Aquinas hs right In Your area. And they were smart to see the changes coming. I was in Inverary when I left. I hear it’s not so great now

1 Like

Most of the cities down there have gone to crap. Still great people down there, but things are much worse than they used to be.

I try to stay in my forest…

1 Like

It’s a small world. I worked as a Deep Water Lifeguard in the Wavepool, and Summers at John Loyd Beach during my Summers off from the University.