What is this worm?

That`s what it looks like to me.

Did a quick Google and it doesnā€™t look promising. My worm is smaller.

Iā€™ll try the spray and if that works it doesnā€™t matter what the worm is. Iā€™ll still keep looking because someone some where knows what it is.

Iā€™ll take pictures in the plant for the ones who make it through the sprayā€¦hopefully not.

If they are eating buds late in flower id eat the sobs. Natures ediblešŸ¤™

Iā€™ve inadvertently smoked them before. They hibernate in the buds. If I see them I squish them. If I donā€™t see them I smoke themā€¦only because I donā€™t see them.

Up to you but I would do a little research on what chemicals you might use to fight any type of infestation as that can also then be present in your final harvest and youā€™ll be ingesting that in one form or another.
My health is more important than using toxic chemicals to kill things.
You may want to look into some safer options.
Call arbico Organics and speak with them as to what they may be able to offer to combat those critters using other critters.
At least go to their web site and see about what they offer and then if you find something that may work cal them to discuss further

1 Like

How do you pull the worms out if they are inside the stem?

Tweezers can work if there small enough and can get a hold of the worm if not you can always use a unfolded paperclip and stab the worm to death with it.

1 Like

Thanks, Will be trying it tomorrow

Tweezers are your friend. I sharpened mine on a grinder to a point.
The paper clip would work too except you wouldnā€™t know for sure if you got them.
I like to see them.

So you where able to get rid of your worm problem?

Maybe but not because of using tweezers or paper clips. Those just keep the worms from eating too much.

Iā€™m trying an earlier suggestion of bug spray and it may be working.
I started spraying when the plants were about 6 inches tall. I stopped on the auto flowering plants when they started flowering.
Iā€™m still spraying the others about every two weeks. New growth doesnā€™t have protection. Once they start flowering Iā€™ll stop. I might just spray the stems and not the flowers.
I had a few volunteers come up and Iā€™ve been watching them. Just recently I noticed several bore holes so the worms are active. The good news is that the plants that I spayed are clean and healthy.
My idea is that you still can spray because you probably donā€™t have flowers yet. If you do, I think you can still spray around the flowers.
Otherwise tweezers are your next best defense. You wonā€™t stop them because there are too many. Last year I got 50 worms a day for weeks with tweezers and there was always another 50 for the next day.
If spray works, and I think it does, Iā€™m spraying.

1 Like

I am having good success with these, T.Brassicae

1 Like

Update:

Found one lonely worm on one of my plants.

I cut the whole upper branch off so I could take these pictures. I used a carpenterā€™s knife to slice the stem open. That seems to be the way to do it because it opens up the wormā€™s hideaway so you can grab it. Plus, I wanted to see what it was doing inside. Looking at the trail of unknown goop coming out of itā€™s rear I think it was making babies which would later crawl up to my buds.

I sprayed one more time and no more worms 10 days later. Iā€™ll keep watching.

2 Likes

What did ya spray ?

I used Safer Brand caterpillar killer organic rating Same stuff used on tobacco worms.

I used Sevin bug spray. I think any garden bug spray would work. Anything is better than nothing.

So, does anyone know what this worm is yet?

I got 4 more in the last week. I peel the stem open and kill the worm. Havenā€™t seen any more but Iā€™m keeping my eyes open. The buds are getting big so Iā€™m not going to spray.

1 Like

The orange worm is the Eurasian Hemp Borer.

See the below for more info.

We have them here in OK.

I use bug zappers, sticky tape, and spray with pesticides . It helps but is not absolute. The only absolute might be to cover each plant with mosquito netting.

Eurasian Hemp Borer (Colorado State Univ.)

Insects that Feed on Hemp ā€“ Stem/Stalk Borer, Leaf Chewer

The Eurasian hemp borer (Grapholita delineana) is the caterpillar (larval) stage of a small moth that tunnels into stems and buds of Cannabis. (It is also known as the Eurasian hemp moth and hemp borer.) This species is presently known only to occur east of the Rocky Mountains, and is widespread in eastern Colorado.

Most of the observed damage by this insect occurs when the caterpillars (larvae) tunnel into the base of developing buds, girdling the stem at the base of the bud, which then wilts and dies. Larval tunneling may also cause some stunting and distortion of stems and stalks, perhaps with some effect on yield. Damage to developing seed has also been reported.

The Eurasian hemp borer has potential to be a significant insect pest of this crop in eastern Colorado, particularly of crops grown for pharmaceutical purposes (e.g., CBD) and seed. It also will likely become more commonly encountered in the crop as hemp cultivation continues and expands.

Life History and Habits. The caterpillars are quite small, reaching a maximum size of about 6-8 mm. Early stage caterpillars are cream colored with a dark head. Last stage caterpillars have a reddish-orange coloration. The last stage larvae are much more commonly noticed than younger larvae that blend in color with the pith of the plant. Often they are noticed during harvest or when they get dislodged from plants during drying.

The stage that survives through winter is the full-grown caterpillar, often in small diameter stems nearthe top of the plant. They may also survive winter within a folds of leaves around seed heads. The caterpillar remains dormant through winter, transforming to the transition pupal form in spring. Pupation also usually occurs within the plant.

Leaf wilting and dieback of terminal growth can occur from stem tunneling of Eurasian hemp borer larvae.

Adults later emerge in mid spring and begin the first of two, probably three, generations that are completed during the course of the growing season. After mating, the female moths can lay a few hundred eggs over the course of a couple weeks. When eggs hatch, the minute, first stage caterpillars feed for a few days on the leaf surface. As the caterpillars get a bit older and larger they then bore into the stems of the plant. From that point the remainder of their life will occur within the plant, as a stem/stalk borer, until they reach the adult form that begins a new generation.

Adults that develop from the eggs laid during spring produce a second generation that results in caterpillars (larvae) present in plants during midsummer. It is likely that a third generation occurs, with adults present through late summer. These late season moths lay eggs that result in the caterpillars that do the most injury to plants. These last generation caterpillars then go dormant, resuming development the following spring.

In addition to Cannabis, Eurasian hemp borer is also reported to develop in hops and knotweed (Polygonum). Wild host plants appear to be important in sustaining populations of this insect in eastern Colorado that later infest hemp. These alternate wild plant hosts used by Eurasian hemp borer presently are unknown but perhaps include various weeds in the family Polygonaceae (smartweeds, knotweeds) with stems large enough to support this insect.
Other Hemp-infesting Caterpillars with Similar Injury Patterns

The European corn borer (Ostrinia nubilalis) is another stalk boring caterpillar. The caterpillars are light brown or cream colored, never reddish-orange. They also get much larger than the Eurasian hemp borer (ca. 20 mm). European corn borer develops in the stalk and larger diameter stems and would rarely be associated with the area around developing buds and seeds. European corn borer is found in many areas of North America east of the Rocky Mountains, but in Colorado is rarely found outside the northeastern counties.

Corn earworm (Helicoverpa zea) is an insect that will tunnel into the buds and developing seeds of hemp and during outbreaks has caused serious damage to CBD cultivars of hemp grown in eastern Colorado. It can be a fairly large caterpillar, reaching about an inch (25 mm) when full- grown, and is highly variable in color with green and mottled black forms usually predominating.

Corn earworm does not develop within the stems but feeds at the base of the developing buds, gouging the base of the bud which then dies. And individual caterpillar may move through a plant and damage several buds during the last week of its life when it nears full-growth and causes most injury. Corn earworm is an insect found throughout North America and is a serious pest of many crops, including corn, tomatoes, peppers, and cotton. More information on this insect and its management can be found elsewhere in the Hemp Insect Website.

Thoughts on Management

Since Eurasian hemp borer survives winter as a larva within stems, removal of all crop debris (stems, stalks) should largely eliminate overwintering populations. This normally occurs when plants are cut at the base and removed from the fields for processing. Mechanical harvesting that leaves some residue may allow some survival, although stem crushing during harvest would likely kill most larvae.
Wild weed hosts also appear capable of supporting Eurasian hemp borer. The specific plants capable of being hosts of this insect in eastern Colorado are presently unknown but it is suggested that fields with knotweed or smartweed nearby be examined for the presence of larvae and tunneling. If any are found hosting this insect, these weeds should be destroyed in a way to kill the insect in the stem, before adult moths emerge in spring.

Since some larvae may become dislodged and survive in drying shed, crops should not be located near (within a 1/2 mile) of these buildings.

The use of insecticides is problematic for this situation for at least two reasons. One is that the larvae are present for only a brief period on the outside of the plant where they would be exposed. This occurs during the first few days, probably a week at most, after eggs hatch when the very young caterpillars feed on the leaves. After this point they tunnel into the plant and are inaccessible to treatment.

Insecticide options are very limited for hemp and only consist of insecticides that are considered to be allowable by the state Department of Agriculture. (Presently, issues involving pesticide use on hemp are handled individually by states, or not at all.) In Colorado, the list of allowable pesticides includes several formulations of Bacillus thuringiensis var. kurstaki (Deliver, Dipel, Javelin, Thuricide, etc.) that could kill young larvae feeding on the exterior of the plant.

Eurasian hemp borer is a weak flier and initially infests field edges so these areas should be targeted. Presently the best way to tell when adults are present and laying eggs is to observe the presence of the moths, either visually while walking the field or in a sweep net. At this time, there are no pheromone traps that will capture this insect.

2 Likes

Great to finally get a name to that worm. Also welcome to the forum.

1 Like