What is this worm?

It first bores into the stem and lays eggs and the hatchlings crawl up to the buds and make a nuisance of themselves.

Looks like a type of Bore worm.

1 Like

How do I get rid of it? I never see anything fly or crawl in…just bore holes then worms in the buds.

No one has seen this worm?

I have not been able to find much on the web either…just some comments on another forum where they said to smoke it and you’ll get higher. Not helpful.

These worms don’t die. They go dormant over the winter and become active once the weather warms.

I live in corn country so I checked out corn borers but could not see the worm.

Last year I was pulling 50 worms a day from 30 plants for weeks…not a small problem.

I don’t really lose much bud because the plants simply put more time into other buds or continue to finish the infected buds once I pull the worms out. However, worm harvesting isn’t what I want to be doing.

Anyone?

3 Likes

@Skydiver. @imSICKkid.
Any help fellas. I’ve never seen these.

Sorry no clue…new one for me.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I would recommend :metal::metal::metal::joy::joy::joy: jk jk some outdoor guys can shed some light

1 Like

The black dotted stripe down it’s back suggests it’s a squash vine borer

2 Likes

If it’s any help, the forum where they said to smoke the worm said that they got the marijuana from Canada.

May be a far north thing and you guys from the south probably don’t get these worms.

1 Like

I’ve never noticed the line down the back before but it looks like my worm.

How do I stop them from infesting my plants?

Took another good look at my picture and I can see the line now.

I’ll take a look on the web now that I have a name and get back to you.

Thanks

2 Likes

Not a squash vine borer. They grow to an inch in size. My worms only grow half that…maybe.

Sure did look like it though.

However, going after the squash bug would seem similar. They recommend going after the larvae in the stem with a sharp object. Sprays won’t work because they’re already inside the plant.

I tried using a pliers one year to simply squeeze them to death but that ends up hurting the plant more than the worm does.

I can’t be the only on on this earth that has these worms, can I?

Here’s another picture. It’s the best my $100 Samsung will do.

Not sure of the type of worm, but you should be spraying with Monterey BT weekly as a preventative.

A moth comes along and lays eggs. Those eggs hatch on a leaf and out comes a caterpillar. That larvae eats a little bit of leaf and then makes its way to a stem and bores inside. As it eats, buds mature, and the larvae keeps eating more and more. The excrement causes bud rot.

BT makes the larvae have a stomach issue and it either moves on or dies.

3 Likes

The moths must be keeping different hours than me because I never see them come in. In fact, I think it’s the mature worms that survive the winter snuggled in the buds that propagate in the spring.

I never used to have them but each year they get worse. Maybe if I would stop growing marijuana for a few years they would die out.

However, I will try the spray. We’ll see what happens.

1 Like

Moths come in the evenings.

I understand your reluctance to believe me, I’m just a stranger on the internet.

But I can guarantee you that the caterpillar in the photo you posted is just that. A caterpillar.

Caterpillars are the larvae stage of “something” else.

Send that photo to Arbico or Biobest. They will not only tell you what it is but what predator they sell to kill it.

Look up caterpillars vs worms.

1 Like

No, I believe something is laying eggs I just don’t see it. I’ve been watching at night and early mornings.

Can’t have an egg without a chicken, right?

However, the worms that survive probably propagate too.

I imagine the spray will disuade them also so I’m spraying. And I’ve already noticed nibbles on the lower leaves of my 3 inch plants.

Never had to spray before but now it probably will become a norm.

1 Like

Spraying is a pain in the butt. I did not spray for my last 2 outdoor harvests this year as I was early enough to miss most of the caterpillars. I found one inside a bud and it was adjacent leave damage that clued me to its existence.

I’ve got 5 more plants to harvest in the next month then I will start spraying my “regular” season crops twice a week with BT up to 2-3 weeks before harvest.

@Lecasbas, Have no idea what they are, but fishbait comes to my mind right away.

1 Like

How to Kill Tree Borers

By Irum Sarfaraz

Tree borers are insects that infest trees under bark and damage them extensively by boring and tunneling through the wood. Trees that are growing poorly or are already under stress from inadequate care and disease are more prone to infestation from the insects. Take preventative action against borers by keeping trees in good health and regularly inspecting to detect early signs of damage. In case an infestation has occurred, use any of a number of recommended insecticides to kill the pests.

Step 1

Use products containing chlorpyrifos, lindane or endusulfan to kill tree borers.

Step 2

Spray the entire trunk and branches of the infested tree. Though the insecticides cannot reach the larvae that have already tunneled to the sapwood, they will kill all larvae and adults present on the bark surface.

Step 3

Apply fumigant products to repel the borer adults that can lay eggs on the tree. The fumigants will kill any larvae that they reach. Recommended fumigants include products containing ethylene dichloride and paradichlorobenzene.

Step 4

Inject chemicals like dicrotophos, oxydemeton-methyl or acephate directly into the cambial tissues of the tree where the insects commonly feed. This process is highly effective at getting rid of the pests. All chemicals are sold under different trade names.

Step 5

Repeat spray applications on infested trees after three to 10 weeks. When spraying, cover all areas of the trunk and branches.

1 Like

So you think my worm is a tree borer?