What is this? Growing out of soil

Hey all, have some auto flower outdoor grow. One of them is sprouting something crazy out of the soil? Is this a root? Different plant from being outside? Any ideas? Also

the chips are from lady bugs container for pest control

1 Like

Looks like bean. Probably some type of legume.

3 Likes

How though? No other plants around these and covered all the time. Roots is pretty thick

A bird probably dropped it in there. Just pluck it…happy gardening

3 Likes

Definitely looks like a legume or bean. Kind of neat.

3 Likes

Where did you get your soil?

Believe it or not, sometimes birds drop stuff. For real. you just never know.

1 Like

Thats a peanut!
Were you eating goobers? Lol

8 Likes

Yup; I can see it now. I almost said peanut, but now you can see it plainly. lol If I had a few plants, I would consider letting it go, but it is not feasigle to take a chance. Re-pot it!

You said legume @latewood and that’s correct.
One of the oddest plants when it comes to making seeds.
A blossom will send a peg out and bore into the ground and the peanut forms on the end.
Crazy

1 Like

Should I re pot it? And I’m using happy frog soil with perlite! What do you do with those beans?!

Yeah, lots of peanuts here in the South. Thanks for sharing the image.

1 Like

I would just for fun, and I am sure you could learn something from the experience. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Squirrels bury raw peanuts and they sprouted for sure. If you’re feeding squirrels, get roasted unsalted and they won’t grow. If squirrels are burying things in your pots, move your feeding spot farther out or make a cage around your plants with chicken wire.

2 Likes

Squirrel got in my garage and planted two mouthfuls of sunflower seeds in my prepared coco.

2 Likes

That remind me; I picked up a cannister of Sunflower seeds and never planted them. How do they do in the late season?

2 Likes

That’s crazy. I’m in Montana and just never have seen that

They seem to grow fine whenever I plant them.
They really do well planted early, even before growing season. Some of my best ones are volunteers that were in the soil over the winter. They are monsters.
But I have planted them late too and they do just fine.

1 Like

Thanks. so, you got good results over wintering them. Maybe I will htrow some in the ground now for a test, and then plant the rest before Xmas and let them over winter for the spring…just like 'taters

2 Likes

hey you have a companion gardener. At least the squirrel’s a prepper for future food source :smiley: can’t knock the lil fella for that, LOL. He’s learning by the example you’re leading with. A little work, a little patience, a little care and you get to enjoy the fruits of your labors :slight_smile: Maybe he’ll share his peanuts to curb y’alls munchies if you share your budz come end game of this companion gardening season :wink:

1 Like